SawStop - 3HP 10-inch Cabinet Saw with 36" T-Glide Fence (Rating: 5)

I feel guilty posting the backstory on this, but the story needs to be told. I just started into woodworking four months ago. First, I built a workbench with some basic handheld powertools and was generally obsessed with my new hobby. In early January, I was with my business partner who happens to be my longtime best friend and I was once again talking about all the stuff I wanted to build and the tools I wanted to buy. He asked me what my dream purchase was, and I showed him the SawStop hot dog video.

Three weeks later, a 3HP PCS with the 36" T-Glide fence (and the overarm dust collection accessory and the industrial mobil base upgrade) showed up at my door. Unbelievable.

I called my buddy, generally speechless, and he said it was an overdue birthday present (which he'd forgotten, BTW, it's a running joke over the decades that he always forgets, it was in December) and year-end bonus. Unbelievable. I'll apologize right now to all other LJs who are thinking "OK that's just not fair" and say yes, I agree, I'm insanely lucky and don't deserve such an incredible gift. Which reminds me, this is meant to be a review, so let me get to explaining just how incredible I think this thing is.

I'll caveat this by noting that I've never owned a table saw before - as a matter of fact, I'd literally never made a cut on a table saw before making my first cut with this one (though I watched probably 500 YouTube videos on technique and safety in preparation). So I'm not exactly a well qualified reviewer, but I think it's safe to say that this is a ridiculously amazing precision instrument.

First, much has been said in other review about the incredibly intuitive and simple packaging and assembly instructions, but I'll loudly second those comments. I'm generally not the handiest guy when it comes to this sort of thing, and I often find myself with extra parts or workarounds when I'm done assembling things. I can honestly say that you've have to be trying to not pay attention to mess this up. Color coding, intuitive instructions with pictures where needed, etc. Really amazing, and the fine tuning was simple though barely needed, it came basically aligned right out of the box. And it happens to be gorgeous.

Cutting with this thing is an absolute joy, and I pick that term intentionally. I get tremendous joy from using it, every time. The ability to get absolutely dead-on precise cuts just astounds me. I've already made some jigs for it (push blocks, adjustable miter fence), and I'm impressed with the dust collection capabilities. I have it hooked up to a Delta 50-760 (which I'll review later) and it works great. The ONLY complaint I have is the included T-connector which is meant to bring the overarm dust tube into the main 4" feed comes in at a right angle, which is obviously not optimal, and others have complained about this before. So I bought one which comes in at a 45 degree angle and it's much better.

The only other thing I wish it had, and maybe I'm the only one wishing for something like this and maybe it doesn't make much sense, is for the extension table to have an optional cutout for a router plate insert. It would seem like that would be an easy thing to do at the factory. I'd absolutely love to convert mine into a router table, but there's no way I'm going to mangle the table by cutting into the metal (I have no game in that department). I may build my own extension router table as other LJs have done and drop it in, but it would be so much easier if it was already done for me.

As soon as I'm finished (80% there), I'll post pics of the hook-n-slat wall cleat system I'm building. Just too much fun!

Again, 100% satisfied and generally overjoyed with this table saw. And overwhelmingly grateful to have such an amazing friend in my life.