LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Little Background...

My shop is in the three-car garage of my house and was always intended to share space with cars, bikes and kid toys. I originally planned to have the shop set-up in the single-car bay and park in the double bay. That didn't work out when we first bought the house, because our truck would only fit in the single-car bay since that bay was two feet deeper than the other bays. Since we no longer own the truck, I decided to move everything over to the single-car bay like I had originally intended.

So this begins the process. The My Workshop page has pics of the new arrangement, but not all the updates yet. The workbench was moved from the other side of the garage as were the jointer and tablesaw. This will be the basic layout that will be improved upon in the coming months as new equipment and upgrades find their way to my shop. Those include:

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

4. A relocated router table (into the extension wing of a new table saw).

5. New cabinets along the side wall of the garage for much needed storage and a new location for the miter saw.

6. A dust collector.

7. Increased electrical capacity.

These will all be addressed in the next few months with eventual upgrades coming to other shop equipment (such as the band saw) and added conveniences like an air cleaner and more tools.

I plan to share the new shop improvements and upgrades and look for suggestions on my plans. I'll have entries for the first four items on my list very soon, as I have already made some purchases, but I would love some feedback on dust collectors. I'm thinking about either a new HF 2hp model or a used 1.5-2 hp Delta, Jet, etc. off Craigslist. I'll also be looking for some suggestions on planning the electrical upgrades as well. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
893 Posts
A Little Background...

My shop is in the three-car garage of my house and was always intended to share space with cars, bikes and kid toys. I originally planned to have the shop set-up in the single-car bay and park in the double bay. That didn't work out when we first bought the house, because our truck would only fit in the single-car bay since that bay was two feet deeper than the other bays. Since we no longer own the truck, I decided to move everything over to the single-car bay like I had originally intended.

So this begins the process. The My Workshop page has pics of the new arrangement, but not all the updates yet. The workbench was moved from the other side of the garage as were the jointer and tablesaw. This will be the basic layout that will be improved upon in the coming months as new equipment and upgrades find their way to my shop. Those include:

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

5. New cabinets along the side wall of the garage for much needed storage and a new location for the miter saw.

6. A dust collector.

These will all be addressed in the next few months with eventual upgrades coming to other shop equipment (such as the band saw) and added conveniences like an air cleaner and more tools.

I plan to share the new shop improvements and upgrades and look for suggestions on my plans. I'll have entries for the first four items on my list very soon, as I have already made some purchases, but I would love some feedback on dust collectors. I'm thinking about either a new HF 2hp model or a used 1.5-2 hp Delta, Jet, etc. off Craigslist. I'll also be looking for some suggestions on planning the electrical upgrades as well. Stay tuned!
If you have March 2010 Wood Magazine find a coupon on page 27 (HF ad) to buy the HF 2HP / 5 micron dust collector for $139.99. I think regular prices is about $249.99.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Noise level is very acceptable and performance is excellent. It has a nice base with casters to make it mobile around your shop.

Add the Wynn 35 canister filter to replace the 5 micron bag and you will get performance increase and sub 1 micron filtering. I am adding my Wynn 35 in the next week or two when I get time

Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

That's the way I've been leaning. I have a coupon for $150 for the HF and I too plan to add the Wynn filter if I go that route. One thing I didn't care for was the large amp draw and the inability (so I've heard) to rewire the motor to run on 220V. But since I'll be adding more electrical and a dedicated circuit for a dust collector no matter what type I get, I suppose that shouldn't really be an issue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

I have had no issues with current draw and don't even have it on it's own circuit. I just plug it in where I want to use it in the shop. I used it today plugged into a 120V / 20 amp circuit with my Ridgid 6" jointer. I just start the DC and after it's up to speed (3-4 seconds) start the jointer.

At some point, after I figure how I will arrange all my tools, I will install a real DC piping system.

I will look at my motor tomorrow to see if I can be reconnected to run on 220 and let you know. I don't believe it can though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

Thanks for the tips. I am interested to hear about wiring for 220V.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

I looked at my DC motor and looks like nameplate is on bottom of motor and is hidden by the motor base. Looked at the manual and seem to be 120 only. Will try to find time to check it with a clamp-on ammeter next week. The manual says starting current is 20 amps but I don't believe it's that high and the running current will be way below that. Don't think you will have any trouble running on 120 V.

Another hint, besides the Wynn 35 canister filter, would be to put a pre-separator before the DC. I have the Woodcraft trashcan cyclone lid on a 30 gallon trash can and after several days use picking up sawdust, chips, etc. still have nothing in the collection bag of the DC. Think the Woodcraft separator top was about $20 on sale and I already had the 30 gallon metal trashcan.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004310/Trash-Can-Cyclone-Lid.aspx

Good Luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

Thanks again, Rick. I am planning on making a Thein-style separator too. Which Wynn filter did you go with? I see they have three types.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

Still trying to decide but, leaning towards the spun bond as it can be washed. Saying that, I'm really not getting much of anything to present 5 micron filter bag with the pre-separator. I have not tested it with fine sanding dust yet though, mostly sawdust from table saw and jointer. I think sanding dust will be the real test.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

Great minds, I suppose! I was thinking of the spun bond one, too for the same reason. Not sure when I'll finally plunk the money down, though.

13,555 Posts
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

This is going to be a great blog.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

The HF 2HP DC cannot be wired for 220V. (Saw your question above, this has been asked a LOT over at SMC…)

I went spun bond. While it is rated highest at 1 micron, it still does filter below that, just not as effectively. Wish I could find it, I saw somewhere on either Bill Pentz' site, or the Wynn site an filtration efficiency curve where they show how the effectiveness drops off, it's a drop off for sure, but not too radical until below .5 micron…

I am honestly not sure if I will ever wash the filter out, but you never know… I was FAR more concerned with the impact of humidity on the filter than actual washing…

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Little Background...

1. More lighting.

2. A new table saw.

3. A lumber rack.

6. A dust collector.

Thanks for the info on the HF DC. It looks like I'll be upgrading wiring all around the shop anyway, so adding a dedicated 120V circuit for it won't be that big of a deal.

I hadn't thought about humidity affecting the filter, but it makes sense especially after seeing how much condensation can actually accumulate on things in the garage! I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Before...

I thought I'd add some pics of the garage before I decided to do the great reorganization to give you an idea of what I was working with before. This former arrangement was a big compromise in an effort to still park a full size car, full size truck, and a motorcycle in the garage along with my tools. Granted when I decided on this arrangement, I had fewer tools. And I still had the truck (which I still regret getting rid of, but that's another story altogether).

So here's the back corner of the garage (on the double car side). I built the workbench, cabinet, floor-standing storage locker, and the miter saw bench.

I used to have a '96 Impala SS that was just short enough to fit in the garage so it was parked over here under the miter saw bench.

This is the old table saw. When I was parking the car in the garage, it would roll under the workbench.

After moving to this house, I acquired the jointer and bandsaw. Once they showed up, the car was no longer getting parked inside. The planer in the background also was tucked away next to the water heater to allow parking.

Here's another view of the miter saw bench. I had the router mounted into the left side to serve as a router table, but I was always running into the water heater with longer boards. The 2.5" dust collection system worked ok with my shop-vac for the router, miter saw, drill press and sanding.

And here are the drill press and my tool box.

As you can see from the pics, the garage was getting overcrowded. I was accumulating too much wood and materials, gaining some larger tools, and still trying to share the garage with a lawn mower, bikes, kid toys, a motorcycle and a truck. I was also running out of storage space for hand held power tools, clamps and odds and ends.

I decided to move everything to the single car bay where I had added an extra 120V circuit and a 240V circuit when the house was built since that was where I planned to set up a shop to begin with.

After working out a floor plan on Grizzly's workshop planner, here's what I have come up with for the layout.

The long boxes overlaying items in the middle of the room are where the light fixtures are going. The right side of the garage is where I will be moving my miter saw when I build the cabinets that are pictured in the floor plan. The dust collector will be going in the corner at the end of the run of cabinets. The large item on the left side of the garage is where the lumber rack will be going. The rest of the layout is coming together and I will have some more entries on my progress to come.

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
The Before...

I thought I'd add some pics of the garage before I decided to do the great reorganization to give you an idea of what I was working with before. This former arrangement was a big compromise in an effort to still park a full size car, full size truck, and a motorcycle in the garage along with my tools. Granted when I decided on this arrangement, I had fewer tools. And I still had the truck (which I still regret getting rid of, but that's another story altogether).

So here's the back corner of the garage (on the double car side). I built the workbench, cabinet, floor-standing storage locker, and the miter saw bench.

I used to have a '96 Impala SS that was just short enough to fit in the garage so it was parked over here under the miter saw bench.

This is the old table saw. When I was parking the car in the garage, it would roll under the workbench.

After moving to this house, I acquired the jointer and bandsaw. Once they showed up, the car was no longer getting parked inside. The planer in the background also was tucked away next to the water heater to allow parking.

Here's another view of the miter saw bench. I had the router mounted into the left side to serve as a router table, but I was always running into the water heater with longer boards. The 2.5" dust collection system worked ok with my shop-vac for the router, miter saw, drill press and sanding.

As you can see from the pics, the garage was getting overcrowded. I was accumulating too much wood and materials, gaining some larger tools, and still trying to share the garage with a lawn mower, bikes, kid toys, a motorcycle and a truck. I was also running out of storage space for hand held power tools, clamps and odds and ends.

I decided to move everything to the single car bay where I had added an extra 120V circuit and a 240V circuit when the house was built since that was where I planned to set up a shop to begin with.

After working out a floor plan on Grizzly's workshop planner, here's what I have come up with for the layout.

The long boxes overlaying items in the middle of the room are where the light fixtures are going. The right side of the garage is where I will be moving my miter saw when I build the cabinets that are pictured in the floor plan. The dust collector will be going in the corner at the end of the run of cabinets. The large item on the left side of the garage is where the lumber rack will be going. The rest of the layout is coming together and I will have some more entries on my progress to come.
It's certainly worth the effort to plan a shop and it looks like you are well on your way. I used to complain about my shop a lot, but after seeing what many have to put up with, I'm beginning to complain less and appreciate more. I think it has something to do with the theory of relativity, lol. Good luck with the conversion.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Before...

Looks great. I love these projects! I'm faced with a similar situation and working on getting my shop organized, too. I don't have nearly as many big tools, though. I can't wait to see how you get everything set up. I'm interested in your dust collection set up, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
The Before...

I like that site I tell folks about it all the time.

13,555 Posts
The Before...

This is going to be a fun project.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New Table Saw

Any good workshop redo includes new tools and I finally replaced my old Craftsman bench-top saw with a Ridgid R4511. I got it for the clearance price of $499, but then three days later it dropped in price to $299. I was able to get Home Depot to honor the new lower price and I came away with a brand new saw for an almost criminally low price.

The assembly was a bit time consuming, but the other lumberjocks' reviews helped with some of the common issues. I was quite annoyed to find that two of the bars for the Herc-u-lift were missing and that halted the assembly very early in the process since I didn't want to build the thing without the mobile base attached. Ridgid was prompt about getting the parts out to me and I had them in three business days. The rest of the assembly went pretty well except for the bolts that were also missing for the rear fence rail, but a quick trip to the store got me some replacements.

I'm pretty happy with the saw. The motor is smooth, quiet and strong enough for my purposes. I didn't really care one way or the other about the granite top versus iron, but I was glad to have the granite a couple weeks ago. The weather had been cold, but warmed up substantially during the day to the upper sixties with near 100% humidity. It felt so nice that I opened the garage up, but after about a half hour I noticed all the condensation on my cold tools. The saw was fine, of course, but my planer, jointer, band saw and drill press are all cast iron! I spent a day the next week cleaning all my cast iron tools and tuning them up while I was at it.

Back to the table saw. Another reason I wanted a new saw was to put a router table in the extension wing for better accessibility and still good use of available space. I scoured the web for ideas on doing shop made extension/router tables and got busy building my own.

I saw one version where the guy just moved the stock fence rail over to gain extra capacity to the right of the blade.

This leaves no room on the left, but in the five years I used my last left-tilt saw, I never used the fence on the left side of the blade. So I tried this version after buying a six foot long piece of angle iron and painting it to match. This serves as the rear rail and to help mount the extension table.

The extension table is laminate coated MDF over a 3/4" plywood frame with a maple edging and is bolted to the rear rail and front rail mounting bracket.

I will be adding some permanent support legs to help keep things level and keep the strain off the rails, I just haven't finished them yet.

By moving the fence rail over, this eliminated the mounting location for the switch, so I just used some metal angle to remount it. This is ugly, but gets the job done.

The extension table works pretty well. I'm still waiting for the router plate to come before adding the router, and the legs should be on soon. Initially, I hooked up my shop-vac as a temporary solution to dust collection until I get a true dust collector, but the only way it actually collects dust is when I open the motor cover and push the dust into the port! The dust collector will be here soon.

I also plan to add fence faces, zero-clearance inserts, a low-profile riving knife and quicker access to the motor cover. It will be much more enjoyable spending time at this table saw than my last!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
New Table Saw

Any good workshop redo includes new tools and I finally replaced my old Craftsman bench-top saw with a Ridgid R4511. I got it for the clearance price of $499, but then three days later it dropped in price to $299. I was able to get Home Depot to honor the new lower price and I came away with a brand new saw for an almost criminally low price.

The assembly was a bit time consuming, but the other lumberjocks' reviews helped with some of the common issues. I was quite annoyed to find that two of the bars for the Herc-u-lift were missing and that halted the assembly very early in the process since I didn't want to build the thing without the mobile base attached. Ridgid was prompt about getting the parts out to me and I had them in three business days. The rest of the assembly went pretty well except for the bolts that were also missing for the rear fence rail, but a quick trip to the store got me some replacements.

I'm pretty happy with the saw. The motor is smooth, quiet and strong enough for my purposes. I didn't really care one way or the other about the granite top versus iron, but I was glad to have the granite a couple weeks ago. The weather had been cold, but warmed up substantially during the day to the upper sixties with near 100% humidity. It felt so nice that I opened the garage up, but after about a half hour I noticed all the condensation on my cold tools. The saw was fine, of course, but my planer, jointer, band saw and drill press are all cast iron! I spent a day the next week cleaning all my cast iron tools and tuning them up while I was at it.

Back to the table saw. Another reason I wanted a new saw was to put a router table in the extension wing for better accessibility and still good use of available space. I scoured the web for ideas on doing shop made extension/router tables and got busy building my own.

I saw one version where the guy just moved the stock fence rail over to gain extra capacity to the right of the blade.

This leaves no room on the left, but in the five years I used my last left-tilt saw, I never used the fence on the left side of the blade. So I tried this version after buying a six foot long piece of angle iron and painting it to match. This serves as the rear rail and to help mount the extension table.

The extension table is laminate coated MDF over a 3/4" plywood frame with a maple edging and is bolted to the rear rail and front rail mounting bracket.

I will be adding some permanent support legs to help keep things level and keep the strain off the rails, I just haven't finished them yet.

By moving the fence rail over, this eliminated the mounting location for the switch, so I just used some metal angle to remount it. This is ugly, but gets the job done.

The extension table works pretty well. I'm still waiting for the router plate to come before adding the router, and the legs should be on soon. Initially, I hooked up my shop-vac as a temporary solution to dust collection until I get a true dust collector, but the only way it actually collects dust is when I open the motor cover and push the dust into the port! The dust collector will be here soon.

I also plan to add fence faces, zero-clearance inserts, a low-profile riving knife and quicker access to the motor cover. It will be much more enjoyable spending time at this table saw than my last!
It's coming along very well

13,555 Posts
New Table Saw

Its coming alone great.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.