LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still recovering from a space contraction...

We have a new ankle-biter on the way and the den/study had to become a baby's room since we are out of bedrooms. I have moved it into the corner of the garage (built a corner desk - carpentry work with 2×4's and plywood - no fancy woodworking here). This has resulted in a complete rearrangement of my wood-shop (still underway - I have not done any woodworking for 2 months or so now).

New problems - not enough space; I'm going to make some flip-top surfaces for things like my sander; move the router table into the tablesaw 'side' table. I figure I'll do the same and create an outfeed table to handle the planer. The chopsaw also needs something similar - haven't figured out where to put that yet.

I'm going to change lumber storage to a vertical setup; I have a wide variety and the last time I tried to pull out Oak from my lumber a bunch of it came crashing down.

Since I now have my desk an computer stuff in the garage too, I'm thinking dust control will become much more of an issue. Which is more important - air filtration or dust collection? Seems to me the big stuff cannot be too dangerous (I currently have things hooked up to a 16 gal shop-vac). To be honest, I cannot get too worked up about vacuum cleaner purchases (now a lathe… I really want a lathe…) so it seems like one of those things I wouldn't get around to until the lung cancer really takes hold. And where would I put one in my new smaller garage anyway? How weatherproof are they - I have heard of people putting them outside - ok to build a small shed out of 2×4's and exterior grade ply or do they need a full-on 'interior class' construction?

I'm posting rambling thoughts instead of working. I should probably stop posting now.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

We have a new ankle-biter on the way and the den/study had to become a baby's room since we are out of bedrooms. I have moved it into the corner of the garage (built a corner desk - carpentry work with 2×4's and plywood - no fancy woodworking here). This has resulted in a complete rearrangement of my wood-shop (still underway - I have not done any woodworking for 2 months or so now).

New problems - not enough space; I'm going to make some flip-top surfaces for things like my sander; move the router table into the tablesaw 'side' table. I figure I'll do the same and create an outfeed table to handle the planer. The chopsaw also needs something similar - haven't figured out where to put that yet.

I'm going to change lumber storage to a vertical setup; I have a wide variety and the last time I tried to pull out Oak from my lumber a bunch of it came crashing down.

Since I now have my desk an computer stuff in the garage too, I'm thinking dust control will become much more of an issue. Which is more important - air filtration or dust collection? Seems to me the big stuff cannot be too dangerous (I currently have things hooked up to a 16 gal shop-vac). To be honest, I cannot get too worked up about vacuum cleaner purchases (now a lathe… I really want a lathe…) so it seems like one of those things I wouldn't get around to until the lung cancer really takes hold. And where would I put one in my new smaller garage anyway? How weatherproof are they - I have heard of people putting them outside - ok to build a small shed out of 2×4's and exterior grade ply or do they need a full-on 'interior class' construction?

I'm posting rambling thoughts instead of working. I should probably stop posting now.
Congrats on the little one. It seems our woodworking has to come in second place when family is involved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Second place? We got a car-seat that detaches from a base. I'm sure I could secure an extra base to a bench somehow… do they make pint-size earmuffs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's here...

Got my flip-top planer installed as well as the router table in the tablesaw (I'll post pics someday). I arranged the planer in the tablesaw outfeed table (recycled desk from the aforementioned study) and spent an inordinate amount of time (and scrap plywood as spacers) getting the planer bed (roughly) level with the tablesaw so that it effectively increases the planer's infeed length. Seems to be working out quite well and I'm rather chuffed with myself at the moment.

Liam arrived on the 23rd so I have not done much since then but stare at the baby. He has such tiny parts - fingers and toes and everything. And a huge head about the size of his entire torso it seems. I'm sure he will be misplacing the screwdrivers in no time.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
He's here...

Got my flip-top planer installed as well as the router table in the tablesaw (I'll post pics someday). I arranged the planer in the tablesaw outfeed table (recycled desk from the aforementioned study) and spent an inordinate amount of time (and scrap plywood as spacers) getting the planer bed (roughly) level with the tablesaw so that it effectively increases the planer's infeed length. Seems to be working out quite well and I'm rather chuffed with myself at the moment.

Liam arrived on the 23rd so I have not done much since then but stare at the baby. He has such tiny parts - fingers and toes and everything. And a huge head about the size of his entire torso it seems. I'm sure he will be misplacing the screwdrivers in no time.
Webb, Congratulations on the new arrival. Beats a new table saw anytime doesn't it!! :) As long as mama and baby are fine that is all that really matters. Good thing that you got the planer and router table finished. Something tells me that shop time is going to be rather scarce for a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's here...

Thank you! He is quite remarkable to say the least; mom and baby are doing fine (mom recovering from a c section).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
He's here...

Webb…
BIG congrats man…NOTHING like becoming a father. While at times mine have driven me nuts….they are the world to me !!!!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
He's here...

Congrats

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
He's here...

congratulations to the parents and happy birthday to the wee one.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
He's here...

congrats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.