LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Working on a project with multiple mortise and tennon joinery, was looking for opinions on preferred method of cutting tennons. I have a tennon jig, but I saw a method using Dado Blade on Woodsmith Shop Show and it looked pretty easy, so any opinons would be appreciated, mortises will be cut with pluge router 3/8 mortises.

thanks
Steve in Indiana

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I have a tenon jig also and I use it whenever the piece is not too long. I prefer it. It gives me a nice clean cut and I think I am better able to precisely set it to the right thickness.

If I am putting a tenon on the end of a long board (more than 4') I use a dado (and I make sure I have a second set of hands available to help keep everything square).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have a ts tenon jig and a dedicated RAS with a 3/4" carbide cutter just for dados, half laps and tenons. I would agree with Rich, but my threshold is shorter for when to move to the RAS anything longer than about 2' goes to the RAS.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
dado. I find it easier to keep the tenon cheeks parallel. of course your stock needs to be parallel. The only problem I have with the tenoning jigs is that your table saw blade needs to be perfectly square. I just don't feel safe if I don't check after every cut or two especially with my old saw..

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I like to use the router table with the piece laying flat on the table, as opposed to standing up vertically. I use a digital caliper to measure the tickness of the wood. Again use the digital caliper to measure the exact thickness of the mortise. Subtract that measurement from the thickness of the wood and divide by two, giving you the height that the router bit needs to protrude from the table. With a router lift it's easy to sneak up on the correct setting. I set the fence away from the bit for the correct depth. I use a miter gauge to keep it squared up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.