LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The space where my shop resides was designed by the original owners to be a game room, complete with a pool table, big screen TV, a large card table and a kitchenette. For me, when I first looked at the house, it was the perfect space for my wood shop. It has direct entry from the driveway and a bathroom lol It still has the kitchenette and the cabinets that were originally installed. They make for great storage. The space is 21'x 32' with three small rooms adjacent to it. One was originally a wine cellar - the cabinets and wine racks were removed two owners ago. So now that room is used for storing jigs/fixtures, boxes of materials I need to sort thru and other shop related items. Another room houses my dust collector and lumber - which it was much larger for lumber storage, but heck I can't complain, and there's also a small bathroom for convenience ;)

One word, wow! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Don't let the floor fool you. It's not hardwood lol But thanks guys. I love having the ability to head down to my shop in socks and underwear in the middle of the night when inspiration strikes lol Prior to this, it was a slog across Brooklyn and looking for a parking space for at least half an hour :( Actually I wish I had one of those wonderful outbuildings like some have posted here. I have the space, but that would take some permits, time and money. I think this is fine for now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The space where my shop resides was designed by the original owners to be a game room, complete with a pool table, big screen TV, a large card table and a kitchenette. For me, when I first looked at the house, it was the perfect space for my wood shop. It has direct entry from the driveway and a bathroom lol It still has the kitchenette and the cabinets that were originally installed. They make for great storage. The space is 21'x 32' with three small rooms adjacent to it. One was originally a wine cellar - the cabinets and wine racks were removed two owners ago. So now that room is used for storing jigs/fixtures, boxes of materials I need to sort thru and other shop related items. Another room houses my dust collector and lumber - which it was much larger for lumber storage, but heck I can't complain, and there's also a small bathroom for convenience ;)

View attachment 3860874

View attachment 3860875

View attachment 3860876

View attachment 3860877

View attachment 3860878

View attachment 3860879
Now that is a nice shop! Clean and well organized.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Bill, I have seen a lot of shops with sinks, refrigerators, and TV's but this is the first that I have seen with a dishwasher. Very nice!
The guys here made fun of me when I posted pics of my shop in Brooklyn. The prior occupants ran a silk screening operation and they hung curtains to block the light. I never took them down. The rods were 12 feet off the floor. Ah, they were a conversation piece 😂

·
Registered
Working with a TBI. Handtools for me...
1,008 Posts
Don't let the floor fool you. It's not hardwood lol But thanks guys. I love having the ability to head down to my shop in socks and underwear in the middle of the night when inspiration strikes lol Prior to this, it was a slog across Brooklyn and looking for a parking space for at least half an hour :( Actually I wish I had one of those wonderful outbuildings like some have posted here. I have the space, but that would take some permits, time and money. I think this is fine for now.
The shorter the commute, the better. As I age, the distance to the coffee machine and the washroom also seem to be more important. As it is, I have a computer/surf station in my shop so I can just "down tools" and recover for a bit when I need to. Sometimes the Boss uses it just to get me out of the seat and back to whatever I think I should be doing instead.
Dog Table Wood Carnivore Outdoor furniture

Kent, It's hard to believe that little guy made that much of a mess. He must have been very busy.:) Looks like a comfy workspace.
It is very comfy, indeed. The Chief Inspector (she) is always there to watch me work, guard the door or warm my lap while surfing.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I'll second the "Wow, so clean!" sentiment. This was a two car garage. Behind is 10x20' laundry/storage, and 1/2 bath with sharpening station. There is also an 8x20' shed with lumber and stuff, and a covered 20' lumber rack.
The garage door has been converted to bi pass barn doors, which I recommend.

View attachment 3860909 View attachment 3860911

Now I'd feel perfectly comfortable loosing my third tape measure in a place like this :D Looks like home to me!

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
How can you follow that. I am hyperventilating. :) I love your hand tool section in a couple of picture near the end, Bill.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
My shop is in what was originally the 3rd stall of our garage. Partitioned it off, installed 100-amp sub-panel, gas heat for winter months, mini-split for heat & air conditioning the rest of the year.
View attachment 3860829 View attachment 3860830 View attachment 3860831
I try to keep my shop clean but man, your shop is beyond clean. That looks showroom ready and cleaner than a display at Rockler. I don't do a lot of turning. Only some small things and a dowel now and again on a small Jet, but it's king in the dust department. You have two cranking there. There's not even any dust on the dust collector bag lol What special magic do you employ? o_O

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Clean is relative. Here's my shop 2 years ago today. Now that's clean.
View attachment 3860861
Today, it's a little more cluttered and dirtier.
View attachment 3860862
Do a little work, then sweep up and put stuff away. Repeat. No power tools unless I can open the doors and windows, and even then I'll run the ceiling fan and the air filter for a few hours after I've finished. The HVAC will also be shut down until the dust settles.
Amazing how all the wall space gets used up so quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: KentInOttawa

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Here's mine: It's a 40' x 50', fully insulated, with central heat and air. 72 wall and floor plugs...110 and 220. Fully finished on the inside with 2" x 6" wall studs, and 9 foot ceiling.
Dust collection ran to all major tools, and fully equipped with everything I need. Two table saws...with a full 4 x 8 outfeed table. One saw is a 6 hp. Delta, and the other is an old Craftsman I started out with.
I re-worked it, and built a table saw cabinet for it, along with my Delta.The old Craftsman is a 1985....113.xxx. 4 work benches, and storage cabinets...Here's some pictures of the shop. The shop has changed a little over the years, but not much. Haven't been able to do anything in the last 3 years because of 4 back surgries. Can't stand and do anything any more.

Table Wood Building Interior design Flooring

·
Registered
871 Posts
Here's mine: It's a 40' x 50', fully insulated, with central heat and air. 72 wall and floor plugs...110 and 220. Fully finished on the inside with 2" x 6" wall studs, and 9 foot ceiling.
Dust collection ran to all major tools, and fully equipped with everything I need. Two table saws...with a full 4 x 8 outfeed table. One saw is a 6 hp. Delta, and the other is an old Craftsman I started out with.
I re-worked it, and built a table saw cabinet for it, along with my Delta.The old Craftsman is a 1985....113.xxx. 4 work benches, and storage cabinets...Here's some pictures of the shop. The shop has changed a little over the years, but not much. Haven't been able to do anything in the last 3 years because of 4 back surgries. Can't stand and do anything any more.

View attachment 3860957
Great shop Rick and an inspiration to us all. One of these days I need to make a visit up that way!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts