LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tradesman Wood Carpenter Flooring Floor

Tell us about your workspace! Do you have a separate shop, or do you use the corner of your garage? How is it organized?

Share pictures!

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
I retired from the Sign Biz in 2000 and left a fully stocked 1500sf shop capable of accommodating any kind of hobby. Took a few years off to get family matters taken care of and now I'm very comfortable in my quiet little den to piddle around in. (the WW power tools are outside on the patio and pulled out when needed).
Wood Art Table Event Cooking

·
Registered
877 Posts
Our (two-man operation) shop is under the workshops tab with pictures. While I respect those who have the time and expertise to produce items by hand our focus is turning out projects with machine precision at a reasonable pace. So, our shop will look dramatically different from a lot of the artesian shops. Currently we are primarily focused on cabinets with a few side projects along the way. The focus is totally on machine operations (there isn't a handsaw or hand plane in the shop!).

Sky Property Plant Building Shade
Table Wood Floor Flooring Folding table

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My shop is a Mini Barn, I designed and built it 2 years ago, the footprint is 16' x 32' that has a 5' porch at one end, so I have 430 square feet and a loft at each end that one can stand in. Most of the tools are older models that have been tuned up, these are form the 60's to the 80's. Recently installed a DC System and currently getting the machines connected.
Window Building Tree Wood House

Wood Interior design Gas Engineering Machine

Table Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
boy howdy, just have one question how in the world are these shops kept so dang clean, i mean a day of table sawing, band sawing even with an awesome dust collector, the joints a mess, hehehehe, just asking cause if'n theres a secret, ca'mon share.
rj in az

·
Registered
877 Posts
I wish our workshops were on our profile. I have my shop out there womewhere but cannot find it now any of my buddies's workshops! We need it to be a tab on our profile!
It will show up in your profile under Showcases. BUT I agree it should show up independently and be clearly labeled!!!

I am glad that Cricket started this conversation starter on shops though. We are still outfitting our new shop and looking at other people's shops for ideas is one of the main reasons I visit LJ!

·
Registered
877 Posts
boy howdy, just have one question how in the world are these shops kept so dang clean, i mean a day of table sawing, band sawing even with an awesome dust collector, the joints a mess, hehehehe, just asking cause if'n theres a secret, ca'mon share.
rj in az
Leaf blower!!!!! Works great!

And the more organized you are the easier it is to clean too (IE: keeps things out of the way for leaf blower LOL).

·
Registered
Working with a TBI. Handtools for me...
1,008 Posts
Clean is relative. Here's my shop 2 years ago today. Now that's clean.
Floor Flooring Fixture Gas Art

Today, it's a little more cluttered and dirtier.
Wood Interior design Picture frame Floor Flooring

Do a little work, then sweep up and put stuff away. Repeat. No power tools unless I can open the doors and windows, and even then I'll run the ceiling fan and the air filter for a few hours after I've finished. The HVAC will also be shut down until the dust settles.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I'll clean mine up a little bit between projects and usually try to run the broom before closng the shop for the day. Sometimes. Now I will put tools away as I think about the next process.
I treat mine like the old timers and their "spring bath". Of course I usually only think about it bi-annualy since I'm the only one who really cares :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ours is NOT spotless clean by any means. But since I share a shop with a friend,
I do make extra effort I might not otherwise. And for me cleaning up a little every day is easier than having to do a major cleaning once a year. Although some days it is left as it lays.

To me a clean shop is easier to work in. Not so much the dust but the big stuff. Keeping cutoffs, extension cords etc... off the floor reduces tripping and makes it easier to roll stuff around. And it certainly is nice to know EXACTLY where a given tool is!!! Lord knows I have wasted a LOT of my life searching for tools!!!!!!

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Cabinetry Wood

Yep, the drawers are labeled. What about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't currently have any updated shop pics but I am fussy about keeping it relatively clean. It used to be an absolute mess all the time but getting dust collection and a shop vac set up really helped me a lot. I will stop in the middle of a big job and clean the whole place once I can't find the right tool anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
The space where my shop resides was designed by the original owners to be a game room, complete with a pool table, big screen TV, a large card table and a kitchenette. For me, when I first looked at the house, it was the perfect space for my wood shop. It has direct entry from the driveway and a bathroom lol It still has the kitchenette and the cabinets that were originally installed. They make for great storage. The space is 21'x 32' with three small rooms adjacent to it. One was originally a wine cellar - the cabinets and wine racks were removed two owners ago. So now that room is used for storing jigs/fixtures, boxes of materials I need to sort thru and other shop related items. Another room houses my dust collector and lumber - which it was much larger for lumber storage, but heck I can't complain, and there's also a small bathroom for convenience ;)

Building Interior design Hall Flooring Automotive design

Table Laptop Building Computer Personal computer

Wood Table Building Interior design Writing desk

Building Wood Hardwood Machine Table

Wood Shelf Shelving Publication Flooring

Wood Shelving Floor Publication Shelf

1 - 20 of 60 Posts