LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ok, i have this problem.
I use a scroll saw heaps and instead of blowing the sawdust away I prefer to suck it up. I initially used a plain old vacume but decided to get a large, better extractor instead.
We have made a floorless wooden box out of chip board in the hopes that that would have cut the niosy drone out. But it only did so slightly.
My other thoughts were to put something on the insides of the box but I didn't want the possibility of getting the machine too hot and have problems arise from that. The other thing is I really would prefer to spend less rather than more on solving this problem. My cheap way out so far is that I wear ear muffs, but really, I would prefer to listen to music instead of monotonous drone.

Any ideas how to overcome this slightly annoying problem?????

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I put mine outside of the wall in a small shed lined with soundboard. Soundboard comes in 4'x8' sheets and is about 1/2" thick. The sheets are pretty inexpensive. If it is still to loud a layer of soundboard some 1"x2" stripping (furring) and a another layer of soundboard. The airspace left between the layers will deaden the sound dramatically.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, Theresa,
I owe you a couple of emails but I have been under the `weather` lately with the heat & humidity amongst other things, and have not been able to do `anything`. Can you email me, directly, a photo of your new dust extractor & `the box` then I may be able to help you. Alternatively, you can get a longer hose & put the extractor in the other half of your workshop, or outside.
Regards,
Martin

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hi Theresa, Would be great is we could get music through the ear muffs which get uncomfortable after awhile. Solved some of my noise problems with a longer hose and I work outside in summer (hose through window of shed).

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx everyone and tommy for putting the u tube video's on. I can see by that the noise is substantially quieter. My dust extractor is in a similar box but floorless, maybe I should think about making a solid box with air holes.
If that doesn't work I might chuck it out side!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.