LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
PoopieKat has a thread going about Plagiarism, and I think Kunk raised a good point - We can only control ourselves, and suggested that we take a pledge.

With respect Kunk, I think that idea needs its own Forum topic, so I have taken your idea and modified it a bit, and post it here. If we (LJ's) keep adding to the pledge, then this post will always be visible on the LJ main page.

The LumberJocks Integrity Pledge

All work and ideas that I post on this site will either be my own work, or be clearly labelled as the work of another, or labelled as inspired by another. I will not present the work of someone else as my own.

If I use pictures, descriptions and any form of original work as a point of reference, I will get permission, where possible, and always give the originator credit for their work.

'
If you agree, just post your approval as a new comment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sounds good to me. but the "inspired by another" is got a lot of gray area. like i saw a picture in fine woodworking and the technical detailed with it and applied it to something completely different. I would consider this original. and my kitchen cabinets I consider 100% original, even though they are standard 24" base with full overlay blah blah blah.

If I tried to duplicate a fellow LJ'ers work and gave it a twist of my own, I would consider this "inspired by".

·
Registered
998 Posts
works for me,
im allergic to the drama that accompanies trying to screw other people over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Personally, I'm not into pledges. Actions speak louder than words and I'll let mine speak for me.

As to "inspired by another," I agree with hazbro that it's a very grey area. In fact, I'd go so far as to say (as I did in that other thread) that none of us is original. We have a long, endless list of others' work that has inspired us.

I don't claim to have any original ideas and know enough to realize that even if I think it's original to me, someone, somewhere else, thought of it, too.

Unless you're straight up copying another person's work, down to the design and details, I just don't see the need for giving credit. I think it's totally up the individual person to decide if they want to credit someone for an idea. If you want to say, "I made this because I was so inspired by so-and-so's thingamajig. Thanks to so-and-so for giving me the idea," that's totally up to you.

Is that polite. Yes. Is it necessary, no. Someone recently credited me for the idea for his sacrificial fence clamps. You know, I thought it was nice, but I wouldn't give it a second thought if he never said anything. 1, because I stole the idea from Rockler and 2, because who care… my ego's intact enough to survive it. :)

I certainly don't think we should think less of someone for not giving credit for "inspiration."

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I sure don't need a pledge to know these things and I think everyone pretty much follows this already. There is also a verse tugging at my memory..

Ecclesiastes 1:9

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

(The verse is used courtesy of Qohelet son of David).

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
There are 29,000+ projects exhibited in Lumberjocks.
Should we examine each one before posting a project of our own, lest we be accused of not giving credit where credit is due? It's a slippery slope, and it starts with a pledge.
By the way, this whole 'pledge' concept has nothing whatsoever to do with some pirate stealing our project postings. And it certainly isn't going to do anything to prevent piracy.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.