LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a Grizzly G0462 clone and the tailstock mechanism is totally ruined. The groove for my set screw is stripped, so I can't advance the quill to put any pressure on blanks. Now I'm looking for a solution and would appreciate any advice you fellows might have. I can order a new handwheel, but I'd rather spend my money on a better quality tailstock. What do you think? And since I can't turn anything at all until I find a solution, can anyone think of a temporary alternative method for putting pressure on the quill? Kim

·
Registered
967 Posts

C clamp from the hand wheel to the set screw. buy a tail stock off ebay for a metal lathe and make up a wood riser block. they wont give up on you in the future and they are cheap. you could use the base from the one you have and cut the top section off and bolt the new tailstock to the base if you want to use the existing quick set mechanism.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks, guys. There's nothing wrong with the threads in the leadscrew. There's a groove that the set screw fits into. The left shoulder of the groove has worn off. I'm going to order a new handwheel, but was hoping to find a temporary way to apply pressure to my blanks until then.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Yeah, I read groove, then saw threads with gunk all over them, and misunderstood. It could be fixed by welding a collar over the worn section then cutting a new groove, might be cheaper to order a new handwheel though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.