LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Evening all. I'm part way through my table build and am gearing up to make the top. Is there any hard and fast rules about how wide each board should be. I was going to go with 6.5" wide boards. But when I bought my material a lot of it is 8". With machining , cut it down to 7.5. Any problems with the boards that wide? They will be running side ways rather than length ways as I am put table expansions in it? I just don't like the waste.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Mark, I have never done a table like yours, but IMO there shouldn't be any problem with 7.5" that would be any different than using 6.5" other than possibly a slightly increased likelihood of cupping. However, if your stock is well dried and finished the same on both sides, I doubt that that will ever be an issue for you. FWIW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.