LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning

Hi! everyone! I'm planning / building an upgrade to my table saw. I live in argentina so tools are very expensive, I started with a chinese very "cheap" table saw (usd 200+) and now I'm trying to upgrade it. I live so far the states that importing a complete incra system is out of the question. So started with some alluminium profiles to build something like 80/20 I saw here. I cannot get the slider systema around. Now the plan is to mix the profiles I have with an incra positioner and buy only that part.

Here is a photo of the future system as planned. I also uploaded to sketchup an incra miter channel, maybe some can find it usefull.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d35365e9f90032f0349050658d15ffeb

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Planning

Hi! everyone! I'm planning / building an upgrade to my table saw. I live in argentina so tools are very expensive, I started with a chinese very "cheap" table saw (usd 200+) and now I'm trying to upgrade it. I live so far the states that importing a complete incra system is out of the question. So started with some alluminium profiles to build something like 80/20 I saw here. I cannot get the slider systema around. Now the plan is to mix the profiles I have with an incra positioner and buy only that part.

Here is a photo of the future system as planned. I also uploaded to sketchup an incra miter channel, maybe some can find it usefull.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d35365e9f90032f0349050658d15ffeb
If you are using the Incra concept or system you do not need the rails on each end of the fence. Depending on how large of projects you plan, Incra has a "beginners" system that the rail and fence is only 99 bucks U.S. Don't know anything about import fees etc but it isn't that expensive. I do know getting stuff thru customs can be a issue sometimes. My daughter lives in Ecuador.
If it turns out to be prohibitive, build yourself a really good fence(not hard).
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning

do you have a link to this beginner option? I already have the rails and fence, here we pay 50% customs of total cost (including shipping)

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Planning

Looks like a good idea

·
Registered
667 Posts
Planning

I know nothing of any beginners system, but here is the Incra website. http://www.incra.com/
Also, if you go to woodpeckers, http://www.woodpeck.com/
they have demo videos that would be of interest to you.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Planning

I called it a beginners system because it's the cheapest positioner incra sells. For lack of a better name it's the black plastic one. I have one and it works very good, but I up graded to the 25" with the super fence.
Union label is correct..go to the sites and watch the vid. I believe WLCS also has a vid for the small one) Those vids really help when you are first learning to use one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Planning

Thanks howie! thats the incra original jog you are talking about… I have seen it, but I think it's too small for a table saw, may it's ok for a router only… I'm negociating how much incra stuff goes on one international package, it will be about 100+ USD of shipping :( and we pay about 4 ARS per Dolar…

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Planning

Already made my request to incra, I hope they ship on 2 or 3 days, and the 2 or 3 weeks of waiting… I bought an LS positioner, a V27 miter gauge, some rule and some miter channels, since I was paying a lot on shipping I HAD to make worth of it ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Planning

incra stuff arrived to argentina… waiting for customs now… :D

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Planning

nice job on the model.

Which LS positioner did you get?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Planning

I bought the small one incra 17" positioner only, just the positioner. also bought the v27 miter gauge, one rule ant miter channels, once i took the desition on the positioner, I bought averything I could to make the shipping worth…

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Planning

It's a good system. the 17" is more suitable for router table, as it's a bit short for TS - although you may find some workarounds to make it all work for you.

I noticed you used my model of the LS positioner in your SketchUp model - looks good. although usually for proper etiquette, it's more appropriate to leave the component you download from 3Dwarehouse as a component, and not copy the geometry from it or explode the component. When you use someone elses component from 3Dwarehouse they are credited for it in your model, but if you explode that component and use their geometry, you get credited for it ;)

Enjoy the new toys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planning

Hi Purplev!

Thanks for your comments, I'm planning to "move" the positioner using the rails, like in the TS, to cope with the lenght problem. Hope it works.

About your design, really apreciate that you uploaded and shared it, It was easier for me to imagine the table and posible problems. I exploded it in order to make the rule move with the fence, just reagruping the objects, I didn't know I was erasing credits by making that… I think the project should keep credits to objects even if I explode an make modifications. I'm sorry for that I didn't know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Planning

Incra stuff just arrived… this things ara MASIVE!, can't wait to arrive home…

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Planning

A photo of incra positioner, miter gauge, etc. together with my "table saw" and router, ar right the alumium profiles. I expect to transform this in something usefull in a month or so, wile puting some order in the garage…

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Planning

I disasembled the table saw this morning, my plan was to replace the table top (it is very bad quality), but the systema that moves the blade is attached to it, so the new table top will be on top of it, I will loose 1" of cutting deph, so my max will be little more than 2". I'm a litle worried about flatness of the surface, I'm planning to use MDF with some hard melamine top on it…

·
Registered
1 Posts
Planning

Woodwork Planning's.
If you're passionate enough in woodworking, you can easily style out a door or perhaps a window in a relatively short period of time.In order to complete these projects in a more talented approach, you have to follow a simple guide from a reliable source for downloadable woodworking plans. These plans will not just give you standard notion of the skills needed to complete the project that you are about to start but these also help you around with the correct measurements that you have to use while preparing the wood. the wood based projects would require extensive assemblies and sub assemblies. When you start working on your project, you would work most effectively with primary parts of the wood and finishes on an individual assembly. If you don't have the appropriate woodwork plans, you probably end up mismatching wood parts while assembling it. This could be pricey as well as time consuming. However, these problems can be avoided by making use of a properly presented listing of wood plans. One more benefit that you can get when you use woodworking plans is that they include all instruments and tools which are necessary in order to complete the project. Often, we think of that when we are in the middle of our project, we can't anymore use a particular tool that is needed to continue the project. In this case, it will only result to a serious waste of time which could sometimes lead to the cancellation of the project when the particular tool isn't available.http://www.yalla2shop.com/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Proof of concept

With most of the materials for the upgrade ready I just wanted to test the concept how it worked all together, so started by attaching some profiles to the table saw:

and then some other profiles to that ones…

in the end I couldn't resist to put some panels with the incra positioner and test the thing out…

As always with custom things it wasn´t so easy to setup, but in the end the fence was gliding over the profiles, when you lock the positioner the fence is perfectly parallel to the blade, and position is incredibly accurate.

Now I have to disasemble everything, build the final table top and have some more fun :D

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Proof of concept

With most of the materials for the upgrade ready I just wanted to test the concept how it worked all together, so started by attaching some profiles to the table saw:

and then some other profiles to that ones…

in the end I couldn't resist to put some panels with the incra positioner and test the thing out…

As always with custom things it wasn´t so easy to setup, but in the end the fence was gliding over the profiles, when you lock the positioner the fence is perfectly parallel to the blade, and position is incredibly accurate.

Now I have to disasemble everything, build the final table top and have some more fun :D
looks great! looking forward to the final assembly :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting Closer?

After a while away from the garage, I could clean it up and make some room to keep with the table saw.
I changed the incra postioner for a longer 25", I cannot import the 32" because of shipping cost, but I think the 25" will do.

I made a top out of some left overs and tried a "sandwich" of MDF and hardboard. I think the final one will be made out of fenolic multilaminate and hardboard. this top desn´t have a hardwood frame becouse is just to try things out.

The way to attach the top to the saw was something I have tried different ways, and I´m thinkg of embedding t-nuts inside the sandwich o several places.

This top may become my drill press table in the future once I made the final top.

The thing is very sturdy, and if you force it to move the hole moves toghether so it keeps square. I will play a little with this for a few weeks and then will go for the next step that is attaching a router lift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.