LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Home Center prices for hardware is insane. I've been looking online for a reputable place to order fasteners in bulk (boxes of 50, 100, etc).

I found a place called BoltDepot that seems to have anything you could want (except cross dowels).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mcmaster Carr has everything, and ridiculous fast shipping. I typically get my orders overnight for a measly $5. Bolt Depot is a bit cheaper, but they gouge on the shipping. If you order several boxes, the shipping from Bolt depot won't be as bad, but for single boxes, Mcmaster Carr is usually cheaper.

But for wood screws, I buy them all from McFeeley's. Not the cheapest, but the best quality.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In addition to McMaster & McFeelys, I order most of my hardware from Small Parts/Amazon and from MSC. MSC (http://www.mscdirect.com/) runs specials on fasteners every now and then, and that's when I will usually stock up.

As Ger21 said, Bolt Depot's shipping is a bit of a turnoff. I will usually check out their prices and then order from McMaster or MSC instead.

I won't shop at Fastenal for fasteners. One time I needed 100 screws and ordered online for in-store pickup. I get to the store and they tell me I have to pay for a 1000 screw bag that they won't break up. No thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To repeat rick's statement: 100 of a fastener isn't really bulk. Most fastener places require minimums of 1000 and often a lot more. Consider screws are usually turned (made) by the hundred thousand. Bolt Depot is great for low volume fasteners. They have all the strange sizes woodworking requires. They ship out of Massachusetts so depending on your location they are pretty fast. I often recommend them and occasionally use them myself.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just went through this on brass wood screws and found McMaster Carr to be exceptional. High quality merchandise at a reasonable although not low price, low shipping costs and delivery within a day or two. I normally use Lee Valley and for many things will continue to do so but I think the stuff I bought from M-C is better quality and their shipping costs are lower.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
let's not get into what does and doesn't constitute "bulk", and degenerate into semantics. Bulk as in "not picking 4 bolts out of a bin and paying an arm and a leg only to get home and find out that some idiot mixed the 3/8 and the 5/16 and you now have only 3 bolts in the right size and need to go back"

the POINT of the question was where can I order boxes of fasteners (or even singles) for a more reasonable price than Home Depot or Lowes.

"- in bulk 1 : not divided into parts or packaged in separate units
2 : in large quantities"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.