LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have a sturdy, homemade SYP workbench. I have not taken time to put in drawers because I want to take time to make things I like. So, I have a simple shelf that works pretty well, except for one thing: sawdust, shavings, and chips go through the dog holes and get over everything on the shelf. With my improved dust collection, the only surface covered with sawdust, etc. are the items on my shelf.

Absent building in drawers, anybody else had this problem and developed a solution?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
That's why some benches are designed with drawers and shelves in an enclosed cabinet and have a space between the cabinet and the bench top. That space is for clamps and also to store sawdust.

I could see that space being easy to hook up to the dust collector and then the dog holes would function like a floor sweep. Have something you want to get rid of just sweep it to a dog hole.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
That s why some benches are designed with drawers and shelves in an enclosed cabinet and have a space between the cabinet and the bench top. That space is for clamps and also to store sawdust.

- crank49
Crank speaks truth. Move the shelf up by putting drawers under it, and you're still collecting sawdust, shavings, etc.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Nothing stupid about the question … that's why I built my bench with a separate cabinet …

Every so often I just hit with compressed air then vacuum up the shavings and dust.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great bench Gerry.

How did you drill your holes and make sure they were spot on, it is very important to make sure they are square, right? Also, do the holes go through the top workspace?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
How did you drill your holes and make sure they were spot on, it is very important to make sure they are square, right? Also, do the holes go through the top workspace?
I drew a matrix on the top with a framing square. I used a drill guide and started them with a Forstner bit (to get a clean shoulder), then drilled through with an auger-style bit. I clamped a piece of plywood to the underside to minimize blowout.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
What about a masonite or 1/8" ply "shelf/drawer" that would slide out. It would collect the dust, then just slide out and clean it off. Kinda like a "crumb tray" for/on a toaster oven….

May seem like a lot of work…. compared to Gerry's solution!!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the responses. For a long time I was storing a log of items on the floor under the table, so I didn't want to install a large cabinet with drawers/doors. I don't do that anymore, so I may end up with a cabinet down there at some point. I also wanted adequate clamping surface.

I'm not going to do a cabinet anytime soon, so I may go for the sheet of plywood an inch or so under the top. that seems easy and helpful.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
What about a masonite or 1/8" ply "shelf/drawer" that would slide out. It would collect the dust, then just slide out and clean it off. Kinda like a "crumb tray" for/on a toaster oven….

May seem like a lot of work…. compared to Gerry s solution!!!

- DIYaholic
Now that is a good idea to me, just slde it out and Vac or Blow it off. The Vac may be better so you don't get everything else covered in dust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.