LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Two months ago I severed four tendons and had surgery.i am really bummed,can't close my fist yet. I was just holding a desk leg I was making and it has an inlay on the top.squaring up the corner the chisel broke through the corner an got my wrist. I have been on a self destruct lately. I feel like such a dumb ass. Think I will slow down an practice safe methods of working.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
That sounds like a pretty painful accident.
Glad to hear you are on the mend.
Working with those super sharp chisels is a delicate practice for sure.
If I told you some of the dumb ways I've hurt myself in the shop, you'd laugh.
Keep us up to date on how you are getting along.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that, but sounds like you've got the right idea - develop safe methods of working.

whenever I work with blades (nowadays…don't as me why) I'll clamp the workpiece on the bench so that I don't have to hold it in my hand, and work on it freely. more than that - I always make sure that there are no body parts in the direction the blade is aiming just in case something slips…(again, don't ask me how I learnt this…lol)

hope you a full and quick recovery.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about the injury and sorry to hear your hand won't close.

Unfortunately, some safety lessons have to be expereinced first hand before the "safety radar" starts really kicking in.

Like Purlev said, securing the work is key and I go one step farther than he does … he says he keeps himself out of the path of the chisel I try to envision a 180 degree plane from the chisel forward, and I don't get in front of that plane. I understand, In the sloyd method of teaching young kids woodworking, they aren't allowed touch the wood at the same time a tool is touching it. When they saw the piece is clamped and the free hand is behind their back. When they chisel, one hand is on the chisel, the other is either also on the chisel, on the mallet, or behind their back. I wish I was taught that way as it would have avoided a few scars on me that have taught me similar lessons the hard way. I've been trying to adopt that method moree and more so that my son sees it and learns it naturally.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I'm so sorry that you have been injured. We all have to be careful with all of our tools it only takes a second to have a long term injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
I guess they have you doing exercises with your fist to get your grip back…?? Hope you get full recovery. Lessons like that last a long time. I'm still tender in the thumb….

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injury.

We all hear about the importance of safety when using power tools. We have to also be careful with non-power tools. The biggest scar on my body happened when a hand saw slipped.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
thank´s for the reminder and heal fast

not my biggest scar but maybee the one that hurt my pride most
is from a screwdriver slicing right trugh my palm and sticking out on the other side of the hand
3½ hours in ER with all the beautyfull nurses smiling to me (while they headshaken)

Dennis

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry to hear about the injury, and I hope that you will soon recover full use of your hand.

Scary sharp hand tools are not necessarilly "safe". Somehow I managed to get a nasty slice on the tip of my finger when using a #5 jack plane.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Sorry to hear. Wish you a speedy recovery. I love working with chisels, but for some reason even when I make sure to keep my hands behind the blade, I tend to forget halfway through using it and move my hand for a better grip. This has led to numerous cuts, luckilly none have been too deep. I need to stop moving lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bill, hand injuries like that can take a long time to heal but it will gradually get better. I cut a tendon on the back of my hand while replacing a newly sharpened lawn mower blade. My blocking slipped and it rotated around and caught me.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
i know how your injury feels…i put a chisel into my left hand..holding a piece i was working on…luckily i didnt do it as bad as you did..just keep trying to move that hand…even though its painful..if you dont the muscles will stiffen up…it will get better….life is living and learning…i hope for you to have a speedy recovery….grizzman

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
After reading this topic, I'm sticking to my power tools and let someone else mow the lawn…

All the Best in healing up!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Hi Bill;

I'm sure we've all have those dumb ass moments…I know I have. As A-1 Jim points out, it only takes a second to get a long term injury. I think that's the reason why it bothers me to hear someone say; "I've been doing it this was for years, and I've never gotten hurt". That statement should be followed by; "YET". Sometimes people don't realize when they've just had luck on their side. Like using a table saw with no splitter. That's a perfect example.

Well, anyway, hope all mends up quickly.

Lee

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.