LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginnings of a Stool

Today at the end of work I whipped up an idea of how I plan to build my first stool. Being a college student in a college apartment I figured I better make this a tough stool. I may have gone a bit overboard buying the 4×4-8' fir. ha.

I'm going to try to build this using the wood, wood glue, a hand saw, sand paper, and then a chisel and hammer. The 4 horizontal piece I plan to make simple a simple 4×4-1'. I might make it look a little nicer by beveling the edges or putting a large bevel on the ends. So then I think I'm going to put two 4×4 cuts into the sides of each of the of the four horizontal pieces. I'll probably make the 4×4 cuts between 1 and 1.5 inches. probably 1 since 2 would be pushing it since I would like to cut a nice, big trapezoid on the bottom horizontal pieces so it'll be on 4 legs and not 2 horizontal posts. Don't panic, I wasn't planning on putting the trapezoid on the top part cause it wouldn't make for a very good standing surface.

After that is all cut I'm going to take 4×4-1' posts and set them in the holes with wood glue. Then I'll top it off with 2 or 3 screws on the non-visible parts of the stool. To finish it off I guess I'll drill some sort of undecided wood onto the top of the stool. However, since this wouldn't be sturdy quite yet I'm gong to put another piece of 2×4 in between the 2 posts on each side so it fits very snug. But I'm not really sure how I'm going to fasten that part in. You all have a lot more experience then me so any tips are very welcome, always.

The way I plan to cut the 4×4 rectangles into the horizontal posts is I'm going to use a hand saw and cut a bunch of cuts into the spot about an inch deep. The I was going to use a hammer and chisel to break it up and finish it up with sandpaper. Should I chisel perpendicular to the grains or with the grain?

I guess I'll have to see how this goes. It has to be sort of a tall stool because all my records are on a shelf I just put up a foot and some from the ceiling. It'll also be nice since it'll double as a small seat.

stool

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Beginnings of a Stool

Today at the end of work I whipped up an idea of how I plan to build my first stool. Being a college student in a college apartment I figured I better make this a tough stool. I may have gone a bit overboard buying the 4×4-8' fir. ha.

I'm going to try to build this using the wood, wood glue, a hand saw, sand paper, and then a chisel and hammer. The 4 horizontal piece I plan to make simple a simple 4×4-1'. I might make it look a little nicer by beveling the edges or putting a large bevel on the ends. So then I think I'm going to put two 4×4 cuts into the sides of each of the of the four horizontal pieces. I'll probably make the 4×4 cuts between 1 and 1.5 inches. probably 1 since 2 would be pushing it since I would like to cut a nice, big trapezoid on the bottom horizontal pieces so it'll be on 4 legs and not 2 horizontal posts. Don't panic, I wasn't planning on putting the trapezoid on the top part cause it wouldn't make for a very good standing surface.

After that is all cut I'm going to take 4×4-1' posts and set them in the holes with wood glue. Then I'll top it off with 2 or 3 screws on the non-visible parts of the stool. To finish it off I guess I'll drill some sort of undecided wood onto the top of the stool. However, since this wouldn't be sturdy quite yet I'm gong to put another piece of 2×4 in between the 2 posts on each side so it fits very snug. But I'm not really sure how I'm going to fasten that part in. You all have a lot more experience then me so any tips are very welcome, always.

The way I plan to cut the 4×4 rectangles into the horizontal posts is I'm going to use a hand saw and cut a bunch of cuts into the spot about an inch deep. The I was going to use a hammer and chisel to break it up and finish it up with sandpaper. Should I chisel perpendicular to the grains or with the grain?

I guess I'll have to see how this goes. It has to be sort of a tall stool because all my records are on a shelf I just put up a foot and some from the ceiling. It'll also be nice since it'll double as a small seat.

stool
step #1: the design

next….
I look forward to seeing your next stage.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Beginnings of a Stool

stool
good start

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.