LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Due to winter, I am now stuck unable to apply finish to a project…I don't want to smell danish oil and varnish for weeks inside my house! I was wondering, how bad does shellac smell? I assume the alcohol smell goes away rather quickly, but what about the shellac itself? Any other suggestions for a stinkless/non-toxic finish?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
To me at least, shellac does not have any appreciable odor. THe alcohol, as Charlie says, will flash off in 15 to 30 minutes and you are left with a topcoat that protects the surface of the wood. Its biggest drawback are exposure to water or alcohol will damage the finish.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If it's a large project, you can expect a lot of alcohol odor. Not sure how long it'll take to dissipate from the air, but the finished piece should be odor free in a day or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use shellac a ton, love it…The smell is strong at first but dissipates within the hour. It dries pretty fast and is fairly durable aside from the water and alcohol damage susceptibility. It can also be repaired relatively easily. If you can get your shop to 50 degrees or just a bit warmer you can apply it without problems. If you are still concerned with the smell of shellac, you could always hand apply it with a ball of cotton in a rag made from an old sheet. Just applying very very thin layers. Add a drop of veggie oil to the pad for lubrication when the pad starts to stick and you build up a glass like finish. You have to thin the shellac to at least a 2# cut with alcohol. This really cuts down on the smell because the shellac will dry almost instantaneously. Beware though it takes a lot of elbow grease to get it right. If you want more info on more of the particulars shoot me an email.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.