LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
Leather Upholstery

I took a leather sewing class to learn how to make the Morris chair cushions.

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion and the ottoman cushion require web frames. Here I am milling the half-lap components for the web frames.
Wood Wood stain Flooring Plank Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Web frame assemblies are glued together. The seat frame should be sized 1/4" smaller in all directions than the opening in your chair, to allow room for the leather and two layers of batting.
Wood Flooring Floor Composite material Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
Corner blocks are added to the large seat cushion for additional strength.
Wood Hardwood Workbench Gas Machine tool

-
-
-
-
-
I didn't have a webbing stretcher handy, so I made one from a block of wood and some sheathing nails. Lengths of dowel create a handle.
Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
I stretch nylon webbing over the frame, and secure it with upholstery tacks.
Wood Rectangle Circuit component Red Gas

-
-
-
-
-
I use #10 or #12 tacks to attach the straps. An occasional staple helps the webbing lie flat.
Rectangle Wood Material property Flooring Tints and shades

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion webbing complete. Notice how the straps are woven together.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Next webbing is attached to the ottoman frame. The ottoman frame should be sized 1/8" smaller in all directions than the opening of your ottoman. This allows enough room for the leather and a single layer of batting.
Wood Table Audio equipment Automotive tire Gas

-
-
-
-
-
This is the underside of the ottoman frame. Notice how the corners are knocked off so it will fit inside the ottoman legs.
Wood Toy Flooring Automotive tire Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Next a 12" square piece of 1" thick high density foam is spray glued to the webbing. This helps to crown the shape of the seat cushion.
Table Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
How does a woodworker cut upholstery foam? With a bandsaw of course. It works quite well, I might add. In projects where the cushion sits on top of the chair (some dining chairs are built this way), I will cut foam slightly oversized. In this case however, the cushion rests down in the framework of the chair, so the foam is cut to the SAME size as the web frame. I selected 5" high density foam for the seat cushion.
Gas Machine Plant Engineering Tire

-
-
-
-
-
Here at the upholstery class, full-sized templates are made from heavy paper. The templates are used to layout the required pieces, and held flat with several weights. The patterns are traced with a ball point pen, and the leather pieces are cut out.
Table Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion has 7" square notches removed from each corner. The corners are then sewn up with a blind stitch and a 1/2" seam allowance. Set the sewing machine for 5-6 stitches per inch. We sized the cover to reach 1/2" short of the inside edge of the web frame. That way when stretching the cover over the foam, you can pull it even with the inside edge of the web frame for a consistent look. Turn the seam allowance to one side or the other to direct the seam where it is less visible. The cover is then drawn down and stapled in place with a pneumatic stapler (electric staplers usually don't set the staple fully).
Wood Rectangle Bag Auto part Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Cambric nonwoven fabric is added to the underside as a dust cover.
Couch Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.
Comfort Couch Wood Rectangle Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
The 3" thick 1.8 density ottoman foam is attached to the webbing with spray adhesive. Then high-loft Dacron (polyester batting) is stretched and stapled in place. Aim for a snug fit that slightly compresses and shapes the foam.
Rectangle Table Wood Coffee table Gas

-
-
-
-
-
Trim the excess batting, and the ottoman cushion is ready for leather.
Comfort Fawn Linens Companion dog Wood

-
-
-
-
-
The leather is simply stretched over the ottoman cushion - no sewing here. Start by placing one or two tacks in the middle of one edge. Then stretch across the width and repeat on the opposite edge. Next tack on a third side, and stretch across the length. This way you can pull all the slack out of the leather. Then you can work to the corners. We used tacks to temporarily hold the leather, and staples for permanent attachment.
Brown Textile Sleeve Rectangle Bag

-
-
-
-
-
-
Excess leather is trimmed away.
Furniture Wood Orange Rectangle Recipe

-
-
-
-
-
Cambric dust fabric is applied, just as with the seat cushion.
Wood Rectangle Floor Gas Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Ottoman cushion complete.
Brown Comfort Rectangle Auto part Automotive design

-
-
-
-
-
Now we can move on to the backrest cushion.
Wood Art Artisan Table Bag

-
-
-
-
-
Here I am sewing the welting (piping) at the class. I used 3/16" welting cord.
Automotive design Table Engineering Wood Eyewear

-
-
-
-
-
Start by blind sewing a zipper tape to the bottom edge of the backrest plates. We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Cut 1-1/4" square notches out of the backrest plates (all 4 corners). Blind sew the notches shut with a 1/2" seam allowance.

-
-
-
-
-
The welting is stapled to one of the plates. The two plates for the back cushion are then stapled together with a Bostitch P-3 hand stapler. That way the leather isn't moving around as you sew. For the main seam around the perimeter I used a 1/4" welting foot. All seams are made with #69 nylon upholstery thread. Polyester upholstery thread would also work, but it isn't bonded and can fray.
Brown Bag Beige Khaki Sleeve

-
-
-
-
-
Here the backrest cushion has been sewn.
Brown Rectangle Material property Sleeve Bag

-
-
-
-
-
Here you can see the effect created by notching the corners. It is called a faux-box cushion, because it fits the cushion well like a boxed cushion, but only has one central seam.
Brown Sleeve Orange Bag Collar

-
-
-
-
-
We made straps and inserted them on either side of the faux-box corners. When the cushion is inside out, the orientation of the straps is pointing inward and downward. It's best to just staple them in place, and turn the cushions right side out to convince yourself they are positioned correctly.
Eye glass accessory Eyewear Comfort Tints and shades Hobo bag

-
-
-
-
-
We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Make sure the zipper slide faces the correct direction (with the cushion inside out, the slide pull will be hidden).
Neck Waist Thigh Material property Abdomen

-
-
-
-
-
The backrest cushion is 3" thick 1.8 density foam, wrapped in two layers of Dacron. The first layer is wrapped side-to-side, and the second layer is wrapped front-to-back. The Dacron batting is attached with spray adhesive. Spray the edges as well, and pinch them together to close the joints.
Wood Sleeve Rectangle Linens Comfort

-
-
-
-
-
Next I blind stitched a slip cover, and placed it over the backrest cushion.
Comfort Textile Wood Floor Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
This will help the leather slide over the cushion more easily.
Furniture Rectangle Comfort Wood Table

-
-
-
-
-
The backrest cushion slides easily into the leather cover.
Brown Orange Rectangle Comfort Wood

-
-
-
-
-
Backrest cushion complete.
Brown Wood Flooring Bag Comfort

-
-
-
-
-
Finally I can install the ledger strips that support the seat cushion. The rear strip is mounted at the bottom edge of the rail.
Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

-
-
-
-
-
The front ledger strip is mounted near the top of the rail.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.
Furniture Comfort Wood Outdoor furniture Flooring

Next up I will finish the ottoman, and staining won't be far behind.
Hi Doug,
You may want to pick up a copy of the August 2020 issue of Popular Woodworking. I've got a couple articles in that issue about a Morris rocker build, based on a #336 Stickley. There is a detailed write-up on the leather upholstery if you're interested.

Thanks

Attachments

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Ottoman

Here I am building a small ottoman to compliment the Morris Chair.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Gas

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs were laminated with thin veneers. As with the chair, I used 1/4" thick veneer strips that are later planed down to 3/32" thickness.
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs are planed to their final size of 1-3/4" square, and mortised to receive 1/2" thick tenons.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Natural material

-
-
-
-
-
I do an initial assembly to see how the joints fit. Everything is scaled down on the ottoman, compared to the Morris chair. The rails are 7/8" thick (vs. 1" thick on the chair), the legs are 1-3/4" (vs. 2-3/8" on the chair), and the mortises are 1/2" wide (vs. 5/8" on the chair). It seems like the ottoman is nearly complete at this stage, but there are still 16 more mortises to cut.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Plank

-
-
-
-
-
Mortising for the side slats. These mortises are made with the 5/16" chisel.
Wood Bumper Tool Gas Automotive exterior

-
-
-
-
-
I cut the tenons to size, checking the fit on the OUTSIDE of the mortise. Once all the joinery is done, the curves can be cut at the bandsaw.
Wood Sewing machine Sewing Floor Table saws

-
-
-
-
-
One more dry assembly lets me take a true measurement for the lower cross rails.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Stairs Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The top rails are haunched where they intersect. This gives the shorter tenon as much surface area for glue as possible.
Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Rectangle

-
-
-
-
-
I try to rip all my stock for a project at the same time. That way I minimize the number of times I have to install the dado blade. Here I am doing the finish sanding prior to assembly.
Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Machine

-
-
-
-
-
Then the side assemblies go together.
Table Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
The lower cross rails are just large enough to add some rigidity to the frame, but small enough to be out of the way when tucking your feet under the ottoman.
Wood Creative arts Wooden block Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
-
Once the side assemblies go together, it's just about done.
Product Wood Creative arts Wood stain Floor

-
-
-
-
-
A few more pegs to flush trim, a little detail sanding, and I will be ready to apply the finish.
Building sets Wood Toy Red Construction set toy

-
-
-
-
-
Next up will be stain and lacquer.

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs were laminated with thin veneers. As with the chair, I used 1/4" thick veneer strips that are later planed down to 3/32" thickness.

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs are planed to their final size of 1-3/4" square, and mortised to receive 1/2" thick tenons.

-
-
-
-
-
I do an initial assembly to see how the joints fit. Everything is scaled down on the ottoman, compared to the Morris chair. The rails are 7/8" thick (vs. 1" thick on the chair), the legs are 1-3/4" (vs. 2-3/8" on the chair), and the mortises are 1/2" wide (vs. 5/8" on the chair). It seems like the ottoman is nearly complete at this stage, but there are still 16 more mortises to cut.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
I cut the tenons to size, checking the fit on the OUTSIDE of the mortise. Once all the joinery is done, the curves can be cut at the bandsaw.

-
-
-
-
-
One more dry assembly lets me take a true measurement for the lower cross rails.

-
-
-
-
-
The top rails are haunched where they intersect. This gives the shorter tenon as much surface area for glue as possible.

-
-
-
-
-
I try to rip all my stock for a project at the same time. That way I minimize the number of times I have to install the dado blade. Here I am doing the finish sanding prior to assembly.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
The lower cross rails are just large enough to add some rigidity to the frame, but small enough to be out of the way when tucking your feet under the ottoman.

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
A few more pegs to flush trim, a little detail sanding, and I will be ready to apply the finish.

-
-
-
-
-
Well done, well documented, and beautiful QSWO!

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Mighty fine machining, and picture how to along the way.

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
You're really gett'n the hang of this! Look'n good!

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
A lot of work, but very nicely done and with a beautiful result.

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Just beautiful work! I'm interested in building just the ottoman portion of this project to match an existing morris chair I own. Do the Popular Woodworking plans you mention at the beginning of this series include dimensions for the ottoman as well?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #88 ·
Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
No, I came up with the ottoman dimensions. Sorry.

Attachments

Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Willie, I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if the forum software let it get through to you. I'm wondering what the height of the top and bottom rails on the ottoman are.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #90 ·
Ottoman

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Table Parallel Rectangle Drawing Technical drawing

Posting dimensions here for those that have requested them.

Cheers

Attachments

Discussion starter · #91 ·
Stain and Lacquer

I sprayed the chair with Rodda #19 stain, which I thin with a splash of mineral spirits.

-
-
-
-
-
After the chair had dried for 24-48 hours I sprayed Rudd lacquer (Satin sheen), which I strain and thin 20% with lacquer thinner. After the first coat I sanded with 320 grit soft sponges, and cleaned the dust with cheese cloth (not tack cloth) and compressed air.
Wood Tin Tin can Ingredient Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
After the second coat I wet sanded with 1500 grit soft sponges. The whole chair only took 15-20 minutes to wet sand.
Wood Infant bed Wood stain Cradle Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
The Rudd lacquer sprayed well, and left a nice satin finish without too much fuss.
Building Wood House Fixture Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
Here is the completed project page…
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/99452
Cheers!

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

I sprayed the chair with Rodda #19 stain, which I thin with a splash of mineral spirits.

-
-
-
-
-
After the chair had dried for 24-48 hours I sprayed Rudd lacquer (Satin sheen), which I strain and thin 20% with lacquer thinner. After the first coat I sanded with 320 grit soft sponges, and cleaned the dust with cheese cloth (not tack cloth) and compressed air.

-
-
-
-
-
After the second coat I wet sanded with 1500 grit soft sponges. The whole chair only took 15-20 minutes to wet sand.

-
-
-
-
-
The Rudd lacquer sprayed well, and left a nice satin finish without too much fuss.

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
A great read, loved following all the steps. Sad its finally over. Great job Pinto!

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Thanks for posting you blog series on this project. It was really enjoyable to see the progress from a pile of lumber to this, the finished furniture!

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Nice finish. I've never sprayed before but I'm inspired to try. I have a brand new HVLP sprayer I received as a birthday gift 3 years ago. I know you said yours was gravity fed. Is it standard or HVLP?

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Love the finish. Looks like quality and the sheen is just right too.

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
This is a great looking project!

I LOVE Rudd! It was the first professional grade finish that I ever shot and it gave me fantastic results with little effort and a very durable finish. Currently, there is nobody really selling Rudd in Billings (where I live) unless I special order it in.

My new favorite is M.L. Campbell Magnamax. By the testing I have done it has to be the most durable pre-cat on the market.

If you use a wiping stain such as Sherwin Williams BAC Wiping Stain or ML Campbell Wiping Stain, they are lacquer based and can be top coated with a lacquer finish in one hour as per the directions on the can. If you are top coating with anything else, such as waterborne or oil base, dry time is 24 hours.

Besides the dry time, one other benefit is that the wiping stains handle and absorb differently than the oil base stains and there is very little blotching with these types of stains. Less struggle, faster production time, it's all good:)

Attachments

Discussion starter · #97 ·
Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Goggy,
My gravity feed guns are all conversion HVLP type. They run off of a compressor, and do not require a turbine. I have a Porter Cable PSH1 and a Wood River gravity feed. The only difference I can see is the PC came with a pressure regulator.

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Great finish of a very nice project. Really enjoyed this Willie.

Attachments

Stain and Lacquer

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Cheers!
Just read through the whole blog building this chair. And i must say it is one of the best and most thorough blogs i have read. Learned a lot and enjoyed the read.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Attachments

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.