LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts
Leather Upholstery

I took a leather sewing class to learn how to make the Morris chair cushions.
Brown Wood Flooring Bag Comfort

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion and the ottoman cushion require web frames. Here I am milling the half-lap components for the web frames.
Wood Wood stain Flooring Plank Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Web frame assemblies are glued together. The seat frame should be sized 1/4" smaller in all directions than the opening in your chair, to allow room for the leather and two layers of batting.
Wood Flooring Floor Composite material Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
Corner blocks are added to the large seat cushion for additional strength.
Wood Hardwood Workbench Gas Machine tool

-
-
-
-
-
I didn't have a webbing stretcher handy, so I made one from a block of wood and some sheathing nails. Lengths of dowel create a handle.
Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
I stretch nylon webbing over the frame, and secure it with upholstery tacks.
Wood Rectangle Circuit component Red Gas

-
-
-
-
-
I use #10 or #12 tacks to attach the straps. An occasional staple helps the webbing lie flat.
Rectangle Wood Material property Flooring Tints and shades

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion webbing complete. Notice how the straps are woven together.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Next webbing is attached to the ottoman frame. The ottoman frame should be sized 1/8" smaller in all directions than the opening of your ottoman. This allows enough room for the leather and a single layer of batting.
Wood Table Audio equipment Automotive tire Gas

-
-
-
-
-
This is the underside of the ottoman frame. Notice how the corners are knocked off so it will fit inside the ottoman legs.
Wood Toy Flooring Automotive tire Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Next a 12" square piece of 1" thick high density foam is spray glued to the webbing. This helps to crown the shape of the seat cushion.
Table Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
How does a woodworker cut upholstery foam? With a bandsaw of course. It works quite well, I might add. In projects where the cushion sits on top of the chair (some dining chairs are built this way), I will cut foam slightly oversized. In this case however, the cushion rests down in the framework of the chair, so the foam is cut to the SAME size as the web frame. I selected 5" high density foam for the seat cushion.
Gas Machine Plant Engineering Tire

-
-
-
-
-
Here at the upholstery class, full-sized templates are made from heavy paper. The templates are used to layout the required pieces, and held flat with several weights. The patterns are traced with a ball point pen, and the leather pieces are cut out.
Table Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion has 7" square notches removed from each corner. The corners are then sewn up with a blind stitch and a 1/2" seam allowance. Set the sewing machine for 5-6 stitches per inch. We sized the cover to reach 1/2" short of the inside edge of the web frame. That way when stretching the cover over the foam, you can pull it even with the inside edge of the web frame for a consistent look. Turn the seam allowance to one side or the other to direct the seam where it is less visible. The cover is then drawn down and stapled in place with a pneumatic stapler (electric staplers usually don't set the staple fully).
Wood Rectangle Bag Auto part Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Cambric nonwoven fabric is added to the underside as a dust cover.
Couch Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.
Comfort Couch Wood Rectangle Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
The 3" thick 1.8 density ottoman foam is attached to the webbing with spray adhesive. Then high-loft Dacron (polyester batting) is stretched and stapled in place. Aim for a snug fit that slightly compresses and shapes the foam.
Rectangle Table Wood Coffee table Gas

-
-
-
-
-
Trim the excess batting, and the ottoman cushion is ready for leather.
Comfort Fawn Linens Companion dog Wood

-
-
-
-
-
The leather is simply stretched over the ottoman cushion - no sewing here. Start by placing one or two tacks in the middle of one edge. Then stretch across the width and repeat on the opposite edge. Next tack on a third side, and stretch across the length. This way you can pull all the slack out of the leather. Then you can work to the corners. We used tacks to temporarily hold the leather, and staples for permanent attachment.
Brown Textile Sleeve Rectangle Bag

-
-
-
-
-
-
Excess leather is trimmed away.
Furniture Wood Orange Rectangle Recipe

-
-
-
-
-
Cambric dust fabric is applied, just as with the seat cushion.
Wood Rectangle Floor Gas Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
Ottoman cushion complete.
Brown Comfort Rectangle Auto part Automotive design

-
-
-
-
-
Now we can move on to the backrest cushion.
Wood Art Artisan Table Bag

-
-
-
-
-
Here I am sewing the welting (piping) at the class. I used 3/16" welting cord.
Automotive design Table Engineering Wood Eyewear

-
-
-
-
-
Start by blind sewing a zipper tape to the bottom edge of the backrest plates. We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Cut 1-1/4" square notches out of the backrest plates (all 4 corners). Blind sew the notches shut with a 1/2" seam allowance.
Outerwear Shoe Sleeve Wood Collar

-
-
-
-
-
The welting is stapled to one of the plates. The two plates for the back cushion are then stapled together with a Bostitch P-3 hand stapler. That way the leather isn't moving around as you sew. For the main seam around the perimeter I used a 1/4" welting foot. All seams are made with #69 nylon upholstery thread. Polyester upholstery thread would also work, but it isn't bonded and can fray.
Brown Bag Beige Khaki Sleeve

-
-
-
-
-
Here the backrest cushion has been sewn.
Brown Rectangle Material property Sleeve Bag

-
-
-
-
-
Here you can see the effect created by notching the corners. It is called a faux-box cushion, because it fits the cushion well like a boxed cushion, but only has one central seam.
Brown Sleeve Orange Bag Collar

-
-
-
-
-
We made straps and inserted them on either side of the faux-box corners. When the cushion is inside out, the orientation of the straps is pointing inward and downward. It's best to just staple them in place, and turn the cushions right side out to convince yourself they are positioned correctly.
Eye glass accessory Eyewear Comfort Tints and shades Hobo bag

-
-
-
-
-
We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Make sure the zipper slide faces the correct direction (with the cushion inside out, the slide pull will be hidden).
Neck Waist Thigh Material property Abdomen

-
-
-
-
-
The backrest cushion is 3" thick 1.8 density foam, wrapped in two layers of Dacron. The first layer is wrapped side-to-side, and the second layer is wrapped front-to-back. The Dacron batting is attached with spray adhesive. Spray the edges as well, and pinch them together to close the joints.
Wood Sleeve Rectangle Linens Comfort

-
-
-
-
-
Next I blind stitched a slip cover, and placed it over the backrest cushion.
Comfort Textile Wood Floor Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
This will help the leather slide over the cushion more easily.
Furniture Rectangle Comfort Wood Table

-
-
-
-
-
The backrest cushion slides easily into the leather cover.
Brown Orange Rectangle Comfort Wood

-
-
-
-
-
Backrest cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-
Finally I can install the ledger strips that support the seat cushion. The rear strip is mounted at the bottom edge of the rail.
Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

-
-
-
-
-
The front ledger strip is mounted near the top of the rail.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.
Furniture Comfort Wood Outdoor furniture Flooring

Next up I will finish the ottoman, and staining won't be far behind.
This blog series has been so informative, and it is awesome that you took the time to take a sewing class to make your own cushions.

Very cool!

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion and the ottoman cushion require web frames. Here I am milling the half-lap components for the web frames.

-
-
-
-
-
Web frame assemblies are glued together. The seat frame should be sized 1/4" smaller in all directions than the opening in your chair, to allow room for the leather and two layers of batting.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
I didn't have a webbing stretcher handy, so I made one from a block of wood and some sheathing nails. Lengths of dowel create a handle.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
I use #10 or #12 tacks to attach the straps. An occasional staple helps the webbing lie flat.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Next webbing is attached to the ottoman frame. The ottoman frame should be sized 1/8" smaller in all directions than the opening of your ottoman. This allows enough room for the leather and a single layer of batting.

-
-
-
-
-
This is the underside of the ottoman frame. Notice how the corners are knocked off so it will fit inside the ottoman legs.

-
-
-
-
-
Next a 12" square piece of 1" thick high density foam is spray glued to the webbing. This helps to crown the shape of the seat cushion.

-
-
-
-
-
How does a woodworker cut upholstery foam? With a bandsaw of course. It works quite well, I might add. In projects where the cushion sits on top of the chair (some dining chairs are built this way), I will cut foam slightly oversized. In this case however, the cushion rests down in the framework of the chair, so the foam is cut to the SAME size as the web frame. I selected 5" high density foam for the seat cushion.

-
-
-
-
-
Here at the upholstery class, full-sized templates are made from heavy paper. The templates are used to layout the required pieces, and held flat with several weights. The patterns are traced with a ball point pen, and the leather pieces are cut out.

-
-
-
-
-
The seat cushion has 7" square notches removed from each corner. The corners are then sewn up with a blind stitch and a 1/2" seam allowance. Set the sewing machine for 5-6 stitches per inch. We sized the cover to reach 1/2" short of the inside edge of the web frame. That way when stretching the cover over the foam, you can pull it even with the inside edge of the web frame for a consistent look. Turn the seam allowance to one side or the other to direct the seam where it is less visible. The cover is then drawn down and stapled in place with a pneumatic stapler (electric staplers usually don't set the staple fully).

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-
The 3" thick 1.8 density ottoman foam is attached to the webbing with spray adhesive. Then high-loft Dacron (polyester batting) is stretched and stapled in place. Aim for a snug fit that slightly compresses and shapes the foam.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
The leather is simply stretched over the ottoman cushion - no sewing here. Start by placing one or two tacks in the middle of one edge. Then stretch across the width and repeat on the opposite edge. Next tack on a third side, and stretch across the length. This way you can pull all the slack out of the leather. Then you can work to the corners. We used tacks to temporarily hold the leather, and staples for permanent attachment.

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Start by blind sewing a zipper tape to the bottom edge of the backrest plates. We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Cut 1-1/4" square notches out of the backrest plates (all 4 corners). Blind sew the notches shut with a 1/2" seam allowance.

-
-
-
-
-
The welting is stapled to one of the plates. The two plates for the back cushion are then stapled together with a Bostitch P-3 hand stapler. That way the leather isn't moving around as you sew. For the main seam around the perimeter I used a 1/4" welting foot. All seams are made with #69 nylon upholstery thread. Polyester upholstery thread would also work, but it isn't bonded and can fray.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Here you can see the effect created by notching the corners. It is called a faux-box cushion, because it fits the cushion well like a boxed cushion, but only has one central seam.

-
-
-
-
-
We made straps and inserted them on either side of the faux-box corners. When the cushion is inside out, the orientation of the straps is pointing inward and downward. It's best to just staple them in place, and turn the cushions right side out to convince yourself they are positioned correctly.

-
-
-
-
-
We used a #4.5 nylon upholstery zipper. Make sure the zipper slide faces the correct direction (with the cushion inside out, the slide pull will be hidden).

-
-
-
-
-
The backrest cushion is 3" thick 1.8 density foam, wrapped in two layers of Dacron. The first layer is wrapped side-to-side, and the second layer is wrapped front-to-back. The Dacron batting is attached with spray adhesive. Spray the edges as well, and pinch them together to close the joints.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Finally I can install the ledger strips that support the seat cushion. The rear strip is mounted at the bottom edge of the rail.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Wow! What a very detailed picture how-to. Thnx for posting. Your chair looks, and I'm sure feels gr8!

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Wow Willie, that is neat.
I did some upholstery years ago, but nothing this nice.
Taking the class was a good idea.

Well done sir,
Steve

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Wonderful work and a great tutorial too Willie. Your excellent results testify to your dedication and new found skills.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Great information! I'm starting the Wood Whisperer's Guild build of a Morris Chair, and dreading the upholstery. This post makes it much less intimidating to "tack-le" (pun intended). I cross-posted this link to a comment thread there. it will help everyone in the guild.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Sweet! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Just creating such an informative instructional is time consuming. The chair looks great, and your upholstering looks like that of a seasoned veteran. Well done.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Hi this is lovely. Please can you tell me what type of webbing you have used here? Is it elasticated? I am upholstering a stool and I have so me non elasticated black webbing. The kind which is usually on bag straps, so it is totally strong but nog elasticated. It looks like the one you have used in your photo but I need to be sure. It is not upholstery elasticated webbing that I have, and I need to know if it okay to use this. If the one you used was like this, I will go ahead and try it out. Thanks.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

The black webbing is not elastic. It is nylon webbing and it is incredibly strong, yet it will give a little bit when you sit on it. It makes a more comfortable seat than a plywood base.
Thanks

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Willie, I had the same thought process as you regarding the webbing, but made the opposite decision. My upholsterer told me that the webbing would be much more expensive, and that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a plywood base. When I sat on the bare foam, on the plywood base at their shop, it felt very comfortable to me. I ended up using foam that is 6" thick, so that probably makes the difference. Thinner foam may require the webbing.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Looks great! and thanks for the info…this post made me sign up :)

Just a quick question…but where did you source your leather? I'm finishing a Morris Chair build of my own and have an upholsterer who will do the work…but I just need to provide the leather I want.

Thanks!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

The leather was from Tandy leather, and is made by Terino Leathers in the "Montgomery Whiskey" color. I use one of their stores locally, but perhaps they ship as well. You can check them out at tandyleather.com
It looks like they have a branch in Middleburg.
Good luck with your project.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hope mine turns out as nice as yours did :)

One more question if you don't mind…but how many square feet did you purchase? I know that each project is different…but looking for a general number so I can get an idea of the cost I'll be looking at.

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Oh…and just looked up Tandy…that's right in my general neighborhood…thanks again! :)

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Hey Willie…just saw something else that caught my eye. With the high density foam….I see you spray glue the 1" thick piece to the webbing….but how is the second, 5" thick piece attached? Is it just sprayed onto the first and then you use the dacron batting to pull down the rest? Or did you glue it down around the edges as well?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #75 ·
Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

The project requires one full hide, which is usually around 50-60 s.f.

Both foam pieces can be spray glued in place. They certainly won't go anywhere once the leather is stapled in place.
Best of Luck

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Very nice Willie, well done!
Frank

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Very nice. I recently completed a Morris chair and ottoman using quarter-sawn white oak. I used a Woodsmith Plan from a few years ago. It has 17 square spindles on each side of the chair. It was a "bear" to build.

Your upholstery work and real leather is much better than mine. I ended up using a very soft, supple faux leather that is pretty good but nothing like leather.

Thanks for sharing this!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #79 ·
Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Very nice. I recently completed a Morris chair and ottoman using quarter-sawn white oak. I used a Woodsmith Plan from a few years ago. It has 17 square spindles on each side of the chair. It was a "bear" to build.

Your upholstery work and real leather is much better than mine. I ended up using a very soft, supple faux leather that is pretty good but nothing like leather.

Thanks for sharing this!

- CWT2017
Thanks for the compliments. I have found leather upholstery a useful skill set to have, and purchased a walking foot machine after I took the class. I have made several cushions since then, mostly seat cushions in brown or black leather. I've been having good luck with my upholstery projects, and I think anyone could learn to do it. There is something so satisfying about selecting each board, milling each joint, then finishing it off with your own upholstery. Even if you decide against doing the upholstery yourself, select the leather… or select the foam. It's fun to have a hand in the decision making process.

Cheers!

Attachments

Leather Upholstery

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Seat cushion complete.

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Upholstery complete.

Willie,
Just came across this blog post as I'm about to embark on a Morris Chair,
Very informative as usual, thanks.

I've never done the upholstery part myself but have always cut my own foam and batting,
Maybe this is what I need to go in that direction!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.