LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
81K views 98 replies 37 participants last post by  kaerlighedsbamsen 
Ottoman

Here I am building a small ottoman to compliment the Morris Chair.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Gas

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs were laminated with thin veneers. As with the chair, I used 1/4" thick veneer strips that are later planed down to 3/32" thickness.
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs are planed to their final size of 1-3/4" square, and mortised to receive 1/2" thick tenons.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Natural material

-
-
-
-
-
I do an initial assembly to see how the joints fit. Everything is scaled down on the ottoman, compared to the Morris chair. The rails are 7/8" thick (vs. 1" thick on the chair), the legs are 1-3/4" (vs. 2-3/8" on the chair), and the mortises are 1/2" wide (vs. 5/8" on the chair). It seems like the ottoman is nearly complete at this stage, but there are still 16 more mortises to cut.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Plank

-
-
-
-
-
Mortising for the side slats. These mortises are made with the 5/16" chisel.
Wood Bumper Tool Gas Automotive exterior

-
-
-
-
-
I cut the tenons to size, checking the fit on the OUTSIDE of the mortise. Once all the joinery is done, the curves can be cut at the bandsaw.
Wood Sewing machine Sewing Floor Table saws

-
-
-
-
-
One more dry assembly lets me take a true measurement for the lower cross rails.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Stairs Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The top rails are haunched where they intersect. This gives the shorter tenon as much surface area for glue as possible.
Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Rectangle

-
-
-
-
-
I try to rip all my stock for a project at the same time. That way I minimize the number of times I have to install the dado blade. Here I am doing the finish sanding prior to assembly.
Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Machine

-
-
-
-
-
Then the side assemblies go together.
Table Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
The lower cross rails are just large enough to add some rigidity to the frame, but small enough to be out of the way when tucking your feet under the ottoman.
Wood Creative arts Wooden block Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
-
Once the side assemblies go together, it's just about done.
Product Wood Creative arts Wood stain Floor

-
-
-
-
-
A few more pegs to flush trim, a little detail sanding, and I will be ready to apply the finish.
Building sets Wood Toy Red Construction set toy

-
-
-
-
-
Next up will be stain and lacquer.
Just beautiful work! I'm interested in building just the ottoman portion of this project to match an existing morris chair I own. Do the Popular Woodworking plans you mention at the beginning of this series include dimensions for the ottoman as well?

Attachments

Ottoman

Here I am building a small ottoman to compliment the Morris Chair.

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs were laminated with thin veneers. As with the chair, I used 1/4" thick veneer strips that are later planed down to 3/32" thickness.
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The ottoman legs are planed to their final size of 1-3/4" square, and mortised to receive 1/2" thick tenons.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Natural material

-
-
-
-
-
I do an initial assembly to see how the joints fit. Everything is scaled down on the ottoman, compared to the Morris chair. The rails are 7/8" thick (vs. 1" thick on the chair), the legs are 1-3/4" (vs. 2-3/8" on the chair), and the mortises are 1/2" wide (vs. 5/8" on the chair). It seems like the ottoman is nearly complete at this stage, but there are still 16 more mortises to cut.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Plank

-
-
-
-
-
Mortising for the side slats. These mortises are made with the 5/16" chisel.
Wood Bumper Tool Gas Automotive exterior

-
-
-
-
-
I cut the tenons to size, checking the fit on the OUTSIDE of the mortise. Once all the joinery is done, the curves can be cut at the bandsaw.
Wood Sewing machine Sewing Floor Table saws

-
-
-
-
-
One more dry assembly lets me take a true measurement for the lower cross rails.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Stairs Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
The top rails are haunched where they intersect. This gives the shorter tenon as much surface area for glue as possible.
Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Rectangle

-
-
-
-
-
I try to rip all my stock for a project at the same time. That way I minimize the number of times I have to install the dado blade. Here I am doing the finish sanding prior to assembly.
Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Machine

-
-
-
-
-
Then the side assemblies go together.
Table Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
The lower cross rails are just large enough to add some rigidity to the frame, but small enough to be out of the way when tucking your feet under the ottoman.
Wood Creative arts Wooden block Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
-
Once the side assemblies go together, it's just about done.
Product Wood Creative arts Wood stain Floor

-
-
-
-
-
A few more pegs to flush trim, a little detail sanding, and I will be ready to apply the finish.
Building sets Wood Toy Red Construction set toy

-
-
-
-
-
Next up will be stain and lacquer.
Willie, I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if the forum software let it get through to you. I'm wondering what the height of the top and bottom rails on the ottoman are.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.