LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
81K views 98 replies 37 participants last post by  kaerlighedsbamsen 
Stain and Lacquer

I sprayed the chair with Rodda #19 stain, which I thin with a splash of mineral spirits.
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

-
-
-
-
-
After the chair had dried for 24-48 hours I sprayed Rudd lacquer (Satin sheen), which I strain and thin 20% with lacquer thinner. After the first coat I sanded with 320 grit soft sponges, and cleaned the dust with cheese cloth (not tack cloth) and compressed air.
Wood Tin Tin can Ingredient Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
After the second coat I wet sanded with 1500 grit soft sponges. The whole chair only took 15-20 minutes to wet sand.
Wood Infant bed Wood stain Cradle Flooring

-
-
-
-
-
The Rudd lacquer sprayed well, and left a nice satin finish without too much fuss.
Building Wood House Fixture Wood stain

-
-
-
-
-
Here is the completed project page…
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/99452
Cheers!
This is a great looking project!

I LOVE Rudd! It was the first professional grade finish that I ever shot and it gave me fantastic results with little effort and a very durable finish. Currently, there is nobody really selling Rudd in Billings (where I live) unless I special order it in.

My new favorite is M.L. Campbell Magnamax. By the testing I have done it has to be the most durable pre-cat on the market.

If you use a wiping stain such as Sherwin Williams BAC Wiping Stain or ML Campbell Wiping Stain, they are lacquer based and can be top coated with a lacquer finish in one hour as per the directions on the can. If you are top coating with anything else, such as waterborne or oil base, dry time is 24 hours.

Besides the dry time, one other benefit is that the wiping stains handle and absorb differently than the oil base stains and there is very little blotching with these types of stains. Less struggle, faster production time, it's all good:)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.