LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I am really frustrated!!! I have tried to do this several times and …. NOTHING!
I even tried washing the steel wool with soap to get off oils and other junk like some guys have suggested.
Still nothing.
Do any of you have some formula or trick that actually works?

I have 2 projects that would greatly benefit from this type of finish.
Thank you guys in advance for anything that might help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Stumpy (Ray)

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Have a look at this blog.
If this is what you are trying to do, PM me. I'll give you all the help I can.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
This method requires tannins in the wood. If you're not getting the effect you're looking for, it may be the the wood you're using lacks tannins. Try making a batch of green tea, letting it cool, applying it to the wood, THEN applying the steel wool/vinegar mix. I think you'll see a dramatic difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not related to the ebonizing process at all, however I've heard (from rifle finishing reading I've done) that to the get the oils out of steel wool, you could put them on a cooking pan and put it in the oven for a little while. That removes all the oils from the wool.

Haven't actually tried it myself though

Fish

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again, I failed to describe my problem accurately. It's not that the solution doesn't work properly, it is that I can't get any solution in the first place. The steel wool just sits in the vinegar for a week and looks the same as when it went in. Even after I washed it with soap first.
Shipwright, see what that jar looks like? Mine looks like a virgin version of that!
Woodendeavor, Boggs suggests boiling the steel wool with the vinegar first, which sounds like something I might try.
My old buddy Doc, I have used India Ink before and have some now and the results are spectacular. I would urge everybody to give it a try if they are interested. It looks super. However, for a larger project you would need a bucketful and it is kind of expensive in little jars. I got mine from a bookseller like Barnes and Noble, by the way.
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I'll start looking for some rusty nails too.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The steel wool just sits in the vinegar for a week and looks the same as when it went in. Even after I washed it with soap first.

Did you try spraying the mixture on your wood????
I found the same thing the first time. I bet you'll find as I did that your mixture (which doesn't look dark) will turn your wood plenty dark. I had to add water to thin it down to keep the wood from turning black.

Good luck….................

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redryder, of course, the thought NEVER even crossed my mind. What made you try it when it didn't look dark?

Well, now I have tons of ideas to play with. Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.