LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to this site and sorry to bust out w/ questions! (I also hope I posted in the right spot!)

I'm a cabinet maker and I just bought cherry from a local hardwood distributor that's going out of buisiness for 3.00$/ bf (4/4 planed to 15/16). I originally thought, "WOW I stole that!" but then my finish guy (he planes it and sands it) told me it was steamed cherry.

He didn't have anything bad to say about it but my concern is that my customer wants cherry and I assumed I was getting 'cherry'. Is this going to finish different than regular cherry? What are the fundamental differences between good ole american cherry and steamed cherry? In the rough saw state it looked identical and the boards were straight and true. After milling it to finish it seems to have a teeny tiny bit lighter patina (less red) but still has the same color variations and seemingly similar grains.

Anyone know if can use this for the kitchen I'm building or will I have a very upset customer??

Thanks for any help here and I look forward to 'playing' on this forum. I LOVE woodworking, have since I was a kid. Can't wait to learn and share experiances here!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.