LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
This is a follow up to my Steambending Fail! Post a few weeks ago. I got a lot of great advise and I think I tried most of it. First of all I was out of air-dried wood so I had to switch to kiln dried. First we added to the form to make the inside curve less sharp. We resawed and planed four strips to 1/8 inch. We steamed them for about 20 mins each. We bent them around the form one on top of the other and let them dry for 24 hrs.
Musical instrument Wood Gas Folk instrument Musical instrument accessory


When we removed the clamps they sprung back much further than I expected. This concerned me so we tried the hot pipe bending the some had suggested. I had two problems with this. One it was not something I was comfortable letting an 11 year old do and second it was imposable for get them to all bend the same to glue them back up.
Wood Hardwood Table Plywood Tin can


We ended up filling the bathtub up with hot water and soaking the strip to flatten them back out.
Brown Bathtub Plumbing fixture Bathroom Fluid


We then re-steamed them and re-bent then around the form.
Wood Electrical wiring Engineering Machine Toolroom

Smile Table Whiteboard Wood Engineering


This time it worked like a charm. We then made the mistake of not giving them time to completely dry out be for we glued them and re-clamped them. They looked great when we removed the clamps but then gaps started appearing where the glue was failing from the moisture. We put CA glue over the gaping areas and re-clamped those areas. That worked but the other area would open up so we had to do that about three times. Lesson learned (the hard way.) After all that I was very happy with how it turned out. Jaida is entering it in the Project Showcase at the Indianapolis Woodworking show this weekend.

Musical instrument Keyboard Piano Musical instrument accessory Wood
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Awesome Jeff. Congrats to both of you on your success. Thank you for your posting an update. Just out of curiosity, when you flattened and rebent, did you move in the same direction or did you bend the other way to fully stretch out all the fibers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Love it when a plan comes together and being persistant sure did help. I am sure we all appreciate your reposting the results. Many times advise is given and we never know the final outcome. Thanks for the update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for you kind word. I is so great for amateurs like us to have a place to get great advice from to people who know what they are talking about. We will be posting the completed piano and a project with many more picture as soon as we can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,177 Posts
Looks good.

And yes, it wouldn't have hurt to give those boards more time to dry. I typically do bending at the very beginning of a project then let the parts sit for a couple weeks while I work on everything else. Of course with kiln-dried wood you'd be liable to end up with spring back anyway so I'm not sure how much benefit a longer dry time would have provided.

The reason why the wood was failing in the S curve probably had less to do with the severity of the curve than the fact that the curve was going the opposite direction. That means the backup strap was no longer compressing the wood but was instead allowing it to stretch. Wood doesn't like to stretch so it's important to force it into compression.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top