LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
So I met up with one of my woodworking friends and his wife tonight. She wanted to show me a pic, this guy is on this facebook group and was selling pallet wine racks, she knows I make them which is why she wanted to show me. Well I look at the pic and its a picture of my wine rack, first one I ever made that's hanging on my wall. I know tons of people make wine racks so it's not like I created the idea obviously, but using my picture passing it as his just really pissed me off. I did a tutorial on instructables on how to make them so I'm guessing he may have got it off of that, could have used the instructions and made his and taken a pic. I did think it was cool I had over 100,000 people read my tutorial though haha. Sorry for the rant, I know everyone makes the same stuff as other people, at least use your own pics.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Once I entered Pinterest, I have had my "pins" repined so many times I've lost count. I know my stuff gets recopied, but on the other hand, I have sold things so many times from people repinning my posted pictures, I cannot complain.

We all copy someone, somewhere, sometime. For me, I just take it as part of the business. I'm looking into a reduced cost version of the Greg Klassen coffee tables that I think I can make for about half what he charges, and sell them in the galleries I am in. I've already located the raw edge walnut tops I want to use. So if I knock him off, and sell mine for $1200 instead of $2500 that he charges, who's to say what?
The real point is to get used to it and learn how to compete.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know every woodworker has copied other work, made their own and sold it, just goes with the territory. But the fact he's using a picture of what I made and took a pic of pisses me off. I looked at the other stuff he posted and I'm willing to bet none of the pics are his. Someone said great work and he said thanks like he did the work.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Have a friend, relative or co-worker contact him inquiring about it (so he doesn't have a clue that you initiated the contact).. if he suggests it was something he made, then contact him in person and ask wtf he is doing along with a copy of his reply. Then post the exchange and his claim far and wide anywhere and everywhere you can. Or just ignore it and move on :)

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derivative work is one thing. I do it. I never claim the design or the idea as my own. Stealing someone's picture is wrong. I'd be miffed for sure.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derivative work is one thing. I do it. I never claim the design or the idea as my own. Stealing someone s picture is wrong. I d be miffed for sure.

- ElChe
Same here like most, there's a lot of creative work out there that's unique, but most are basically reproductions, but you don't use someone else's photo as your own. My friends wife did ask the guy about price, and one of the women interested in the guys she told her and she "liked" my facebook page so hopefully she'll buy from me haha. I did request to join the group he's selling in, I'm going to call him out on it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You have copyrights to that picture.

- InstantSiv
You don't have copyright privileges to any photo that you place on a private website unless you claim it your own to begin with, water marking your photo's etc. It's a tough pill to swallow.

I'd watermark photo's I submitted on this site if I was worried about being copied on the trash I create.

Paul

·
Registered
293 Posts
You have copyrights to that picture.

- InstantSiv

You don t have copyright privileges to any photo that you place on a private website unless you claim it your own to begin with, water marking your photo s etc. It s a tough pill to swallow.

I d watermark photo s I submitted on this site if I was worried about being copied on the trash I create.

Paul

- Paul
Can you expand on the part where you don't have copyright protections on a private site?

·
Registered
740 Posts
You don t have copyright privileges to any photo that you place on a private website unless you claim it your own to begin with, water marking your photo s etc. It s a tough pill to swallow.
- Paul

Untrue.

- Rick M.
Include me in the "intellectually" challenged column.

Care to elaborate more Rick?

Paul

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Paul and Rick M are both right, sort of, depending on how they interpret the law.

Here's a link to a discussion of the law as it stands. The fellow might have thought he was in the "Fair Use" domain of the law, where he can use a "stock" photo to display what he would build. If he actually claims he did build it and indeed did take the picture, he is in violation of copyright laws. But hard to pursue unless GixxerJoe actually registered it.
http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
There's a member on this site who posts pictures on his 'business' facebook page that don't belong to him, of things he has never built. I see he has a photo of the same wine rack on his page(not the same photo in your projects page)that I highly doubt is his.

Issue one…stealing someone elses picture, commercial or private, as well as no mention it's not your photo or build.
Issue two(even bigger imo)...he's a butcher and not even capable of reproducing whats in the pictures….even though he'll produce some hack version of whatever it may be…brag about it…and proceed to explain how his is sooo much better.

Integrity is lost on some people.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You have to be careful where ever you post pictures. There is another WW Forum I frequent, that I noticed sold cd's of all attachments posted to the site i.e. pictures, drawings, etc. I found that disturbing that they would make money off my efforts, even just to fund the forum. Therefore, I post only links. I know they can follow the link and still get my pic's and or sketch-up drawings but they will have to work for it. Especially since I put things out to share not to sell. (not ww items of course).

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Try this: contact him and suggest that he may have used your photo by accident, ask him politely to remove it. There's nothing wrong with asking politely, and he's probably a decent enough guy who will comply. If he can produce and sell them, he can manage a photo of his own.

Then again, he may be a jerk. If so, spam him and his online footprint with the fact that he's misrepresenting his work.

You gave away the wine rack already… The guy can at least show actual representations of his own work.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Like others have said, if I were representing my own work online, anywhere, I would watermark it. That being said, I have gathered ideas from here and other places for projects where I'd like to make something similar. I do believe in giving credit where credit is due and possibly the guy would give you the credit for the idea. I don't know, but if not he should at least be given the chance to politely remove it as already stated. Keep us posted as to how it all works out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.