LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's hard to believe, I know.

I've just bought a Stanley Planer #8C, a set of 8 (vintage?) Extra Narex chisels (1/4 through 1-1/14) and three vintage Stanley Defiance chisels (3/8", 1/2" and 5/8") in a hardware store, ALL NEW.

The owner of the small hardware store where I bought them (in Caracas, Venezuela) told me he overlooked for decades several old tools he had at the rear of the store. Recently he found the tools and decided to sell them. Lucky me, I was there and he sold these tools as old stuff rather than collectibles.

I don't know what to do with them :) Will their value drop drastically if I use them? How could I prove they have not been used? Are these tools so good that it's better to use them rather than selling them?

Anyway, I haven't used them so far and I'm not in a hurry for selling them. Any suggestion wil be very welcomed.

Cheers!

Emilio

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys, the pics…

I had to clean a bit of superficial rust from the plane with steel wool, but it needs a bit more work. Anyway, the photos are attached. I think it can be appreciated that the plane has never been used.

Info correction: the Stanley Defiance chisel sizes are not 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8", but 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4".

An Extra Narex chisel set of 4 chisels was on sale in eBay for $35 and did not sold out… I think I'm going to keep them…

Cheers!

Emilio

Wood Bumper Composite material Automotive exterior Tool

Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Electronic device Gear shift

Wood Watch Font Metal Rectangle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Mobile phone Bumper

Grille Rectangle Bumper Wood Audio equipment

Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Hardwood

Rectangle Grey Automotive exterior Wood Bumper

Wood Tool Metal Hardwood Twig

Writing implement Office supplies Wood Writing instrument accessory Stationery

Wood Rectangle Grey Pattern Hardwood

Gesture Wood Knife Tool Blade

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
The moment you took them home they depreciated by at least 50%. Since they look like they're in absolutely terrible condition I'm sure the value will only go down whether you use them or not. You had better cut your losses and sell them to me quick before they're not worth anything!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn that is in perfect condition. I wonder when it was made… have you checked the stanley type study? You can find it here:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/

- bobasaurus
Thanks for the link! According to the type study it is a type 19 plane, made between 1948 and 1961. Apparently before the mid 50's because the cutter has an angular top instead of a rounded top.

Cheers!

Emilio

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The moment you took them home they depreciated by at least 50%. Since they look like they re in absolutely terrible condition I m sure the value will only go down whether you use them or not. You had better cut your losses and sell them to me quick before they re not worth anything!

- Rob
Please! Take them, I'll pay you! :) haha

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
that #8C was probably made in the early 60's. If you've got the original box it may be worth something as a collector. Without the box, its probably not worth much more than a good user 8C. But a great find either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.