LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello everyone. This is only my second post but I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just picked up a stanley no. 55 that's almost complete and came with all 4 sets of cutters. Stopped by a little mom and pop antique store and asked about hand planes and that was the only one they pulled out. She wanted $50 but I told her I only had $30 on me so she ended up letting it go for that. Pretty good deal right? The only thing is it's almost complete. So I am wondering if anyone here has extra parts laying around or one that they never use. I have already been on eBay and found quite a few parts but feel as though some are a little over priced. Some specific parts I am looking for are depth stops with thumb screws, the angle iron with center skate+shoe also with screws, and anything else you might have I might need. I have all the cutters and are in great shape so I don't need those. Also if you have any tips about the plane you're more then welcome to share!

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Tyler, you suck, $30 for the cutters alone is insane!!! Wow!!!

I don't have parts, but the center skate is an oft-missing and expensive to replace part. My .02, suck it up and pay what you must to get to complete. You'll still be a couple hundred ahead of the game.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha I know! it looks like they have been in the boxes their whole life so only the top half has a little surface rust. Nothing a little sand paper can't take care of. It was missing the right fence and handle but I already have that ordered. I will post pictures once I got home from work. It is also missing the slicer/depth stop that goes on the back right of the plane. All the major parts are there just basically the extras that make it actually work good are missing. I am also missing the can stop but I can't figure out what that is even for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I thought so. Every picture I've seen online doesn't have it attached. I'm heading to a flea market today in hopes of either finding some parts (very unlikely) or that next jackpot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fred for that post. I have been on there but would much rather like to keep everything original. I know no one else would even know but I would and that would drive me crazy haha. But thanks for the post!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Considering the 55 sells for $250-500 when complete with cutters, I'd say you did well enough you can afford to buy the parts you need and still sell it for a profit.
nhplaneparts is the guy most likely to have what you need, and will combine shipping which will save you a lot.
http://stores.ebay.com/newhampshireplaneparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Deycart is the LJ that also sells plane parts right? Anyone know his ebay ID?

Funny enough I just picked up a good number of the parts you need, but they are not in such good shape.
Brown Wood Rectangle Tool Door handle

Oh and let me introduce you to an LJ tradition. You suck! Because you got that for a great deal and we all want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim I see you have the center skate there, does it also have the shoe? if its complete and not to bad I would love to take it off your hands. I'm starting to get the feeling that, I SUCK haha. That's okay, everybody has their good days. Mine was just a little better then most ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wood Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire Hardwood

Wood Art Sculpture Metal Motor vehicle

Wood Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Machine

Jeans Sewing machine White Blue Light

Wood Amber Wood stain Varnish Hardwood

Wood Gas Machine Metal Auto part

Brown Wood Hardwood Table Metal

Bicycle tire Crankset Wood Wheel Musical instrument

Wood Table Art Hardwood Metal

Sorry about all the links.. but I don't know any other way to do it. Hope these help! On the right side where the depth stop goes you can see its broken however the person who had it before made a threaded hole on the side of where the stop slides for a screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Actually once another LJ Mos told me what the center skate parts go for, I was hoping to sell them and become independently wealthy. I'm sure we can work something out despite my hopes of buying a private island with the proceeds. They're not in perfect shape, but they are cleaning up better than I thought. They are currently in citric acid to clean up the rust. Here's a cropped version of the previous picture of those parts.

Wood Door handle Metal Artifact Font

It has the auxiliary center bottom, the angle iron and adjusting screw, and one of the two shouldered thumbscrews you'd need. The center bottom foot is just below the center bottom but it is missing the screw to attach it. The other parts there are a cam rest without the screw and pin, a right fence, and a bag of cutters.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have ordered a few parts off ebay just because I can't wait! I got the right fence with thumb screw's, the main depth stop for front right, and also some extra thumbscrews. Going to wait and look around some more before I pull the trigger on the other more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
You can find most parts on Ebay. There's a couple sellers that specialize in them.
You might spend more on the parts than the plane but even so, you'll still come out ahead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.