LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No. 4 - Type 9

Plane: #4 - type 9 (1902-1908)

Paid: $12.55

Where: eBay

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel
  • 55/10/2 battery charger (electrolysis).
  • In addition, got me some EvapOrust - for small parts. (want to try both Evaporust & electroysis to see which I prefer.)

Comments: This is my first restoration. Thanks to Alonso for the inspiration to get into what seems like a very therapeutic and rewarding hobby! I'll be posting the results once the plane is finished.

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole

·
Registered
974 Posts
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel
  • In addition, got me some EvapOrust - for small parts. (want to try both Evaporust & electroysis to see which I prefer.)

Comments: This is my first restoration. Thanks to Alonso for the inspiration to get into what seems like a very therapeutic and rewarding hobby! I'll be posting the results once the plane is finished.

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
That's a nice looking plane, it should look great after the restoration. Did you got some sandpaper, 100,150,220 grit, how are you planning on sharpening the blade? Could a replacement blade fit between your budget?

I see that the knob is rosewood but how about the tote? looks like has some kind of finish lacquer on top of it?

Have fun and enjoy your restoration.

Alonso

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
nice can't wait to see the finnish product.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
Yeah, I forgot to mention the sandpaper. 100 and 220 grit so far.

So, great success tonight! The buffer works great and so does the Evaporust. I'll leave it overnight since I ran out of time tonight. I also video taped the progress and hopefully will be able to post an edited video. What does everyone use to get into the brass adjustment dial to buff it clean?

·
Registered
974 Posts
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
The brass adjustment its a little tricky, but the way I do it its to try to clean as much as possible with the buffer and whatever remains I clean it with brasso. Does it answer your question?

·
Registered
85 Posts
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
Looks like you got a real bargain there. I've just done my first restoration and I agree - it is very rewarding, even addictive.

To clean the brass I tested an old wives tale (sorry if there are any old wives reading this) - ketchup. I squirted it into a small container, just enough to cover the parts, then dunked them in it for around 10 minutes. A quick rinse in cold water and they were bright and clean with no rubbing. But one word of caution -they took on a slight red tint. I managed to clear that with another old remedy - soaking in vinegar. So I'd recommend just dipping them for 3-5 minutes, then rinse them and having a look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. 4 - Type 9

Equipment:
  • 6" buffer
  • compound
  • wire-wheel

Front

Rear

Irons

Sole
John - Really? I'll have to give that a try. I can see myself now, in the name of "frugal", I'll be scouring Burger King's everywhere grabbing the ketchups that people are ready to toss!

In all seriousness, does it leave a high gloss shine like it's been polished? I'm also going to use my trusty old friend - Mother's polish. Stuff works wonders.

Anyway, thanks for the idea - I'll give it a try tonight ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. 5, Type 18

Hey everyone. Last year I became interested in restoring planes. I created one project blog where I was restoring an early Type 9. Then, while working with on a wood project, the Walnut got me real sick. It took almost one month to get better, then spring came, summer, BBQ's, band practice, life…..

Here is it fall again and I'm back in the shop restoring my planes. I got two going right now. One is the old Type 9 and the other is a Type 19 that I picked up on eBay for something like $10 bucks? This was in really rough shape - but is surprisingly turning out to be one nice plane. It's nearly done. I only need to spray the handle with lacquer and spray the frog. When done, I'll post the results and details of the restoration. Here are the before pictures:

Smoothing plane Plane Scrub plane Block plane Jack plane

Wood Household hardware Gas Metal Font

Here are the pictures of my finished plane. I think it came out great! What looked like a total rusted mess actually ended up looking very "factory-new". The bed especially came out pretty flawless. Amazingly, there was zero pitting. When I sanded the black paint off, the wood was natural - and with some lacquer, it now sports that Lee Nielsen look. One other thing I did that I didn't see mentioned, was to use a file to clean up the edges of the bed. Going slowly and using only push-cuts, I achieved a crisp and new looking edge with a slight rolled-curve. Very happy with the results.

Enjoy…

Plane Smoothing plane Rebate plane Block plane Shoulder plane

Smoothing plane Plane Scrub plane Jack plane Rebate plane

Tableware Wood Tool Kitchen utensil Cutlery

Wood Air gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun

Food Staple food Ingredient Cuisine Wood

Clipboard Automotive design Gadget Font Eyewear

Household hardware Auto part Metal Engineering Bicycle part

Here are some pictures of the bed, right after the Evaporust bath. I used Evaporust (thanks Alonso) to remove the rust and electrolysis to loosen the jappaning. That worked real well but I'll most likely use electrolysis for everything in the future since it's free.

Auto part Circle Metal Machine Wood

Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part

Rectangle Knife Wood Automotive exterior Blade

The iron, chip breaker and cap were in pretty bad shape so I replaced them with some donor parts.
Wood Font Metal Art Artifact

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Hey everyone. Last year I became interested in restoring planes. I created one project blog where I was restoring an early Type 9. Then, while working with on a wood project, the Walnut got me real sick. It took almost one month to get better, then spring came, summer, BBQ's, band practice, life…..

Here is it fall again and I'm back in the shop restoring my planes. I got two going right now. One is the old Type 9 and the other is a Type 19 that I picked up on eBay for something like $10 bucks? This was in really rough shape - but is surprisingly turning out to be one nice plane. It's nearly done. I only need to spray the handle with lacquer and spray the frog. When done, I'll post the results and details of the restoration. Here are the before pictures:

Here are the pictures of my finished plane. I think it came out great! What looked like a total rusted mess actually ended up looking very "factory-new". The bed especially came out pretty flawless. Amazingly, there was zero pitting. When I sanded the black paint off, the wood was natural - and with some lacquer, it now sports that Lee Nielsen look. One other thing I did that I didn't see mentioned, was to use a file to clean up the edges of the bed. Going slowly and using only push-cuts, I achieved a crisp and new looking edge with a slight rolled-curve. Very happy with the results.

Enjoy…

Here are some pictures of the bed, right after the Evaporust bath. I used Evaporust (thanks Alonso) to remove the rust and electrolysis to loosen the jappaning. That worked real well but I'll most likely use electrolysis for everything in the future since it's free.

Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part

The iron, chip breaker and cap were in pretty bad shape so I replaced them with some donor parts.
BradJacob-Let me be the first to say what a great job on the no.5. I have restored a few and I love the feeling it gives one when their done. Besides being useful they are restored pieces of art. I'm sorry to say that I have a few transitionals and Bailey's around that are now decoration. bob

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

Brad,

Nice job! There's a lot of old japanning left on the body in two of the pictures, is that before electrolysis or after? What did you paint it with? Those top wall edges are crisp, it really cleaned up good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

What a beauty. I would like to do this with my no 7 1880s one, but Im afraid it will ruin the Japanning which is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

i think that is a type 18 instead of a type 19. the diagonal hashing on the blade depth adjustment wheel is the give away. only type 18 had that machined that way. i have a type 18 btw restored it a while back. you did a much better job on yours its beautiful. just been brought back to life.

one question what did you use for the bed, paint? im curious about that i used paint and it looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

You're right Brad, it does have that LN look to it now. Part of that is due to the wood on the tote and handle. Are they replacements and if so, what kind of wood did you use for them? Good work!

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

Exquisitely done!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

Brad, that is just a gorgeous restoration. Pat yourself on the back, that plane is a beaut and one that will be a pleasure to work with. Thanks for sharing your success.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

That came out great. I too would like more info on what you painted the bed with.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

alot of people wuold say you have overdone it with several light-years
but I most admit it looks fantasstic to me after you have gone all the way
congrat´s with your brand-new toy, may it serve you well

but more info on how you prepared and painted it wuold bee realy nice of you to give us

take care
Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

Thanks for the kind words guys. For the paint, I went over to my local Advanced Auto parts and picked up a can of

VHT EPOXY PAINT (satin finish) for $6.99

Here's the steps that I did (a bit backwards because I became interested in electrolysis AFTER doing the Evaporust):

Step 1. Evoporust to remove the rust.

Step 2. Electrolysis to loosen the Jappaning. At first I was expecting it appear rubbery and loose, falling off. Not the case… Cooking that plane bed for a SOLID 24 hours using electrolysis makes the jappaning brittle and flaky. Out of frustration I took a screwdriver to it, and to my amazement, it chipped RIGHT off with a screwdriver!

3. Once paint-free, I cleaned the body with some carb-cleaner (because I didn't have any denatured alcohol handy)
4. Taped the sides and sole accordingly (some paint the edges, I DO NOT. I happen to think it makes it look more "factory".

5. Sprayed one coat. And I wasn't afraid to lay it on heavy. In fact, the first coat was so thick that it filled in all the cast marks and looked like a plastic coating. Then as it dries, that goes away and you're left with a more thin looking, crisp finish. Let sit 24 hours.

6. Repeat step 5 - another nice thick coat. Let sit 48 hours. Why? Because in 12 hours, it'll be pretty dry to the touch, but 48-72 hours will ensure that the paint HARDENS properly.

There you have it. Any other questions, feel free to ask ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

thank´s Brad :)
another question
did you thin the epoxy paint and if so with what ?

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. 5, Type 18

Enjoy…

Dennis - no thinning. Just sprayed it with the can it comes in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.