LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do you want them to fade into each other? Say, fade from light to dark? If so, it's pretty hard to do with stain. However, wood dyes works exceptionally well for this technique. I've seen amazing multi-hued starburst effects done with dye.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm looking for more of sudden change. Best way I can put it is if I was painting I would put tape down do one side then the other, but from what I can tell with stain it would bleed over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I'm looking for more of sudden change. Best way I can put it is if I was painting I would put tape down do one side then the other, but from what I can tell with stain it would bleed over.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
As far as I know you can't do it since stain soaks in to the wood. They would bleed into each other.
Usually guitar makers use contrasting woods to get that effect.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You could do an inlay line between the areas to be stained, using epoxy or inlay substrate like turquoise.
Let me put it this way-
It's me building the guitar this is what I would do…
I would mark off the line of stain change where I want it to be,
Take the Dremel or if I didn't have a Dremel, a small gouge, and remove a small thin inlay trough along the marked line. Fill with colored epoxy or inlay substrate, sand then stain my two colors on either side of the inlay.
That's my take on it.

Lisa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.