LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am restoring an old butcher block kitchen island for a customer and was asked if I could stain the piece to make it darker. I would like to keep it safe for food prep. Is there a food contact safe stain out there?

I was thinking about soaking some coffee grounds in some mineral oil and making a conditioner out of that, has anyone tried anything like that before?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The only concern that I can think of is that depending how the old butcher block was treated; you may not get consistent coloration. I read somewhere that someone used everclear drinking alcohol to pull out the color of ground coffee and then mixed it with mineral oil as they were concerned with introducing water into the mix.

If it doen't wook you can always bleach it out and start over.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I don't know if the colorant in coffee grounds would be soluble in mineral oil. You would need to test that. As another approach, you could make a strong black tea and try that on a sample piece letting it soak into the wood as long as feasible. However, tea being water soluble it may wash out over time, but the good news is that the client could retreat it as needed. FWIW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.