LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  CaptainKlutz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm trying to assemble a tool chest/box that's has to be located in the elements… outside.. partially muddy. Wanted to know which method is best to seal the out side of the case to prevent moisture seeping in/etc. Foes caulking help for inside corners? If caulking is an acceptable route to take then which is best for wood on wood joining? Water/Weather-proof is a must.

Moral: Need to weatherproof a tool chest. Is one best above all? Use one, then another on top to double up..?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
"outside.. in the rain and partially muddy"

I would skip being pretty and use oil base (brush) primer
and 35 year acrylic house (brush) paint with elastomeric caulk
inside and out in the seams. (none of that spray can junk).

how big is it
what kind of wood are you wanting to use
what will it hold
will it be mobile or stationary
how close to the ground will it be
how long do you want it to last. . . . .

"Water/Weather-proof is a must"
to me ~ that means a fiberglass or aluminum box from Army Surplus
that has a watertight rubber gasket to make it weather-proof and water-tight.

#7 ·
Sorry. Have to agree with TravisH. Wood is my last choice for durable outdoor rain/mud capable tool box.

Problem is you can't stop water permeation into wood. Paint/varnish/etc only delays entry. IMHO - There is not one single finish that will protect wood sitting in wet mud for more than a few hours. After a day or so, the wood will be sucking up moisture thru the paint. Bed liner coatings are viable choice, but note they work by having tenacious adhesion to primed metal. But as soon as the primer fails, and place for water to enter is created, the metal rusts. If you put this over wood, any water that permeates the coating will be absorbed by wood. Get enough, and inside of box will be damp.

Don't forget about another aspect of outdoor tool box. When moisture gets trapped inside, it will rust metal tools. Worse, temperature changes thru dew point will create standing water condensation on flat surfaces and accelerate rust formation. Most job site boxes, have one way pressure vents and offer a desiccant holder in lid to help with atmospheric moisture entrapment. One of the larger mfg of these is Knaack, if you want some ideas on proper commercial outdoor tool storage.

Best Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.