LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello all,

I am getting ready to install some flooring, oak (red and white mix) that has some knots in it. I was originally thinking of cutting them all out, but some are nice and I'd like to include them.

I was thinking of filling any voids with epoxy and this cracks around knots with CA glue, then using a floor poly over top, but I'm not sure if the poly will adhere to the epoxy.

Other ideas on how to fill voids in/around knots??

-Ivan

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure if finish will adhere to CA glue, but I know it will to West Systems marine epoxy. Most turners use CA glue as a filler though and finish over it though, so I don't think that should be a problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would do a test on some scrap being sure to scuff the areas of CA & epoxy first before applying the finish. After it dries, put it in the sun to get hot, let it go back to room temp & put it in the freezer to get cold & then let it get back to room temp, and then try scuffing or scraping a bit to see if it is holding.

I think the temp extremes will be a good test of durability.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have used epoxy to place some Purpleheart eyes in a Oak rocking horse which left a ring of epoxy around the eyes. After sanding I applied polyurethane for a finish. So far there has been no problems with the finish. As for using CA glue I can't say how it would work. You could fill the cracks with epoxy and sand flush and should have no problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the help, truly appreciated. I'll take pics as I go and post progress reports. So far I have got a shop full (and I mean full) of flooring pieces.

Cheers,
Ivan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.