LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I assume that you're looking to build an air filter. Save yourself some aggravation and make sure when you ask for the fan from an HVAC outfit, that you know how much CFM your square footage dictates and ask for that size or greater. If you start out with too small of a fan you'll be disappointed in it's efficiency.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also look out for the volts. An electric unit is 220V and you will need heavy wire to power it. A gas furnace has a 110V motor and you can run it off an existing circit.

The Heating and cooling companys usually have a pile of dead units out back. I had to by a start capacitor for mine but fairly minor deal.

I actually ran a seperate circite for mine with a switch by the door and hung it in the gable end to move air thru the shop in the summer.

Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
I work in the HVAC industry and sorry to be the barer of bad news but HVAC companies do not usually keep old units just laying around, at least none of the ones I know of. Although you may get lucky. If you do happen to find one you will want to build some type of enclosure. Left to run open on both ends these thing tend to start to free wheel and can ruin the motor, they need some restriction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.