LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spray Booth Current Setup

Hello Everyone, This is my first blog I have ever done. When I was adding pictures to my workshop page I noticed that I did not have enough room to show more than one pic of my spray booth.

In this blog I will show you my current set up. In future blogs I will talk about what I want to do to the spray booth in the future. Hopefully I will be able to post some more blogs in this series as I upgrade the booth.

Ok so lets start with where it is. Our house we bought has a garage that used to be a two car garage, sometime in the past they closed up on of the bays and sided right over the old door. So now it is just a single bay garage door with another bay that does not have a door. For me at the moment that is great to set up a spray booth. In the future we want to reopen the second bay up so I want to set up the spray booth to make it easy to set up and take down and still fit a car in.

Currently I just have some plastic hanging from the rafters on the two sides and front of the booth. Luckly there is a window in the back of bay and I was able to just unscrew the window and put in an old box fan that was given to me with filter attached to the front.

For spraying doors I bought the clips that fit into the opening of the euro cup. I've hung a dowel from the celling that I can move out of the way when I need to. This allows me to spray the door from boths sides at once.

In the second bay of our garage I have a 93 Jeep Wranlger. When I am spraying I move the Jeep out so I don't get any overspray on it and it also lets me have some room to put the stuff to dry. In the next picture if you look close you can see the nifty drying rack I have the doors hung on. It is a laundry drying rack that I barrow from my girlfriend. I've found that it is light, easy to set up, and fits the doors perfectly.

For my spraying I use an earlex hvlp gun. So far its has worked great for me! I would recomend it to anyone looking for an entrylevel hvlp gun!!!

This is what I have so far for my spray booth. I know it looks pretty sloppy but it work (barely). In my next blog I am going to talk about the things I want to do to upgrade the spray booth.
As the saying goes, "Finishing can make or break the project" I really believe this and want to make the booth the best I can for as cheap as I can.

Hope you enjoyed my first blog.

Marcus

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Hello Everyone, This is my first blog I have ever done. When I was adding pictures to my workshop page I noticed that I did not have enough room to show more than one pic of my spray booth.

In this blog I will show you my current set up. In future blogs I will talk about what I want to do to the spray booth in the future. Hopefully I will be able to post some more blogs in this series as I upgrade the booth.

Ok so lets start with where it is. Our house we bought has a garage that used to be a two car garage, sometime in the past they closed up on of the bays and sided right over the old door. So now it is just a single bay garage door with another bay that does not have a door. For me at the moment that is great to set up a spray booth. In the future we want to reopen the second bay up so I want to set up the spray booth to make it easy to set up and take down and still fit a car in.

Currently I just have some plastic hanging from the rafters on the two sides and front of the booth. Luckly there is a window in the back of bay and I was able to just unscrew the window and put in an old box fan that was given to me with filter attached to the front.

For spraying doors I bought the clips that fit into the opening of the euro cup. I've hung a dowel from the celling that I can move out of the way when I need to. This allows me to spray the door from boths sides at once.

In the second bay of our garage I have a 93 Jeep Wranlger. When I am spraying I move the Jeep out so I don't get any overspray on it and it also lets me have some room to put the stuff to dry. In the next picture if you look close you can see the nifty drying rack I have the doors hung on. It is a laundry drying rack that I barrow from my girlfriend. I've found that it is light, easy to set up, and fits the doors perfectly.

For my spraying I use an earlex hvlp gun. So far its has worked great for me! I would recomend it to anyone looking for an entrylevel hvlp gun!!!

This is what I have so far for my spray booth. I know it looks pretty sloppy but it work (barely). In my next blog I am going to talk about the things I want to do to upgrade the spray booth.
As the saying goes, "Finishing can make or break the project" I really believe this and want to make the booth the best I can for as cheap as I can.

Marcus
This is an interesting blog, Marcus. It looks like this set up works pretty well and would be relatively inexpensive to set up. I currently go outside when I do any spraying but, of course, doing this is dependent upon the weather and wind conditions. Your spray booth eliminates these obstacles.

Good idea.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

Marcus
do ypu do a lot of finishing? This is a nice spacious setup. I'm eyeing an earlex system myself.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Marcus
ingenious

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Marcus
Thanks for reading my first blog guys. I don't do alot of finishing. I am building a set of kitchen cabinets for a friend and this is my first real kitchen job/ finish job. I decided to spray it because of the time savings and how good it comes out. I love the earlex system so far. I got the 2.5 mm spray tip with it and havn't had a problem with it yet. Hopefully I will get part two of the blog done soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I want to do to the booth

So if you read my first blog you have seen how the spray booth looks now. In this blog I am going to talk about what I want to do to the spray booths in the future.

1. There is only one light in the booth area at the moment. It is an old four bulb shop light. I need some more shop lights. I am only spraying water based products so I don't really need an explosion proof light set up but I think I will make a box and some plexi glass covers for lights to keep the over spray off the lights.

2. The plastic works good to keep the spray to that one area the only problem is that it is a pain to hang up and take down. To fix this I am going to get some clear shower curtains. I am going to figure out a way to hang them from the ceiling so I can pull them out when I need them and push them back when I don't. This will also allow me to use the bay once we open up the second garage door.

3. Upgrade fan! The one fan works but I want to get more air moving. I decided to go the cheap way and just get another box fan for about $20 bucks. I am going to build set up to hold the two fans next to each other. I am thinking of building a shell the will hold the two fans next to each other. Since the two fans will be wider then my opening I will have to make something to direct the air from the two fans into the window opening. In front of the fans I was going to go with just two filters. But after seeing this article from Highland Woodworking http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=88 I have decided to go with 4 filters and a chamber behind the filters and have it go down to the two box fans. Once I get this done I will let you guys see it and also let you know what I think of it.

4. Drying Rack. Currently I am setting up saw horse on the other side of the garage. This works for big things like cabinets but when I am spraying my drawer bottoms, backs, and door inserts it turns out to be a big pain. As the booth stands now I have a workbench (that came with house) all the way in the back where the door opening should be. As you know I want to open up that opening at some point in time. That gave me two options. I can build a drying rack that moves on wheels so I can more it out of the way or just put up on in front of opening and worry about it when we open door way up. I've decided to go with option 2. I am going take some 2×4s and drill some hole 12 inches apart on my drill press to fit some plastic electrical conduit pipe. Then I am going to just put the 2×4s up like you would a wall and cut the conduit pipe about 16 inches long. I've seen it done before and it works great for light items. I will also be able to hang some doors from it by just leaving the end pipes in the studs and putting a long piece of pipe across the other pipes.

5. Widen the booth. If you look at the pictures of the booth in blog 1 you can see that the right side of the booths is a bit tight. There is another workbench that came with the house on that side. I am using it to store some scraps of ¾ prefinished ply I am using on a kitchen. I want to take this bench out so I can move the plastic closer to the wall. It works to spray cabinets the way it is now but for bigger pieces of furniture it will not work.

6. Ceiling. Right now I have the top of the booth wide open. I am not sure if I want to close it in with some plywood or maybe even plastic.

Currently those are the problems I have with my booth. Once I start doing some of the things I want to do to fix the booths up I will post pictures of what is done and how it looks and works.

Marcus

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My $4 Drying Rack

Hello All,

It's been a while since I talked about what I wanted to do to my spray booth/garage second bay. The first thing I did was create a drying rack. I wanted to make one that was cheap and able to take apart if I needed some room.
I decided to put it behind my bench where I could get to it but it is also out of the way. The spot I decided to put it will work for now but once I put in the second garage door I will have to build a moveable one.

I built this rack out of reclaimed 2×3's. In all it cost me around $4.00 for the electrical conduit pipe I bought from home depot. I got three 1/2" conduits and cut them down to 16" length. I then drilled some holes in the 2×3's on my drill press so they are all the at the same locations. When I drilled the holes I did them on an angle since the holes were a bit larger than the o.d. of the pipe. That way when I put the pipe in it wedges itself into the hole. Also the pipe has a bit of spring to it so by putting it up on a small angle when I put something on it the pipe sits straight. I also put some electrical tape on the ends of a few of the pipes to make it tight and once you put something on the pipe it didn't make a difference if I had the tape on or off.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it. Now it is on to the spray booht fan system.

Marcus

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
My $4 Drying Rack

Hello All,

It's been a while since I talked about what I wanted to do to my spray booth/garage second bay. The first thing I did was create a drying rack. I wanted to make one that was cheap and able to take apart if I needed some room.
I decided to put it behind my bench where I could get to it but it is also out of the way. The spot I decided to put it will work for now but once I put in the second garage door I will have to build a moveable one.

I built this rack out of reclaimed 2×3's. In all it cost me around $4.00 for the electrical conduit pipe I bought from home depot. I got three 1/2" conduits and cut them down to 16" length. I then drilled some holes in the 2×3's on my drill press so they are all the at the same locations. When I drilled the holes I did them on an angle since the holes were a bit larger than the o.d. of the pipe. That way when I put the pipe in it wedges itself into the hole. Also the pipe has a bit of spring to it so by putting it up on a small angle when I put something on it the pipe sits straight. I also put some electrical tape on the ends of a few of the pipes to make it tight and once you put something on the pipe it didn't make a difference if I had the tape on or off.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it. Now it is on to the spray booht fan system.

Marcus
looks good

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fan Unit

The spray booth fan system is finished. Just like the dry rack I built this out of scrap wood. If you remember the pictures of the spray booth when I started the blog you can see that the right side of the spray booth was away from the wall. That was because I had an old bench there that I was just using to hold junk. After spraying some larger items I realized that I needed more room in the booth. Since the bench was old and just holding junk I decided to take it apart. After taking it apart I decided to use the plywood I took from the bench and build the unit to hold the spray booth fan.
Now I got more room in the booth by getting rid of that bench and using the wasted space. I just have plastic stapled up around the booth at the moment but like I said in my second blog I want to put up a curtain that I can just slide back and forth. But that's for another blog.

I built this unit so I could use two fans instead of one and also make the filter area bigger. I used two 20×30 filters. They were the biggest filters I could find at my local Lowes. I saw some 23×30 online, which would have worked better.

I designed the box to be the width of the two fans together. The width of two filters was smaller than the width of the two fans next to each other. I had to make a front channel to hold the filters instead of just cutting a dado in the case sides.

Between the filters and the fans I made a chamber so the filters should pull in the air equally instead of just were the round fan is. If or when I build a better one I will not just put the fan on a shelf like I did in this one. The way I have it now you can see that the shelf sticks into the chamber and I think it might hinder the air flow. Something I did not think about until I had it built and put the fans in. When I redo it I will put a solid panel in the back and a cutout for the fans. That way it will also be more air tight.

The biggest problem I had with making the unit was the connection from the fans to the window. The window is smaller than the fans so I decided to go with the idea of having the sides on an angle in the back to fit the window. Well that was easier than it sounds and I think that is the big down fall of the unit. There are a lot of gaps and rough angles, which some duct tape will fix but I want to find a better way.

Option #1 Just cut the window opening bigger to fit the two fans. This will also gain me a few inches since I could put the fans right in the window.
Option #2 Build a chamber like I have behind the filter and in front of the fans.

The other problem that I would love to hear your ideas about is how to close the window when not using it. In pro style ones I've seen they have flaps that open up once the fan is turned on. I don't know if I am pushing enough air for this option. My best option so far (I just thought of it while typing this) is to get some shutters for the window and just close them when I am not using it and open it when I am. I will have to go outside and do this but that is not problem!

I just finished the unit and installed it so I have not used it to spray and finish yet. I will keep you guys posted on how well it works. I am already thinking about what I can do better with it and maybe even make it a four fan unit with more filter area. (But that will have to wait)

All I had to buy was a new fan and the two filters (which will have to be changed when they get clogged). So for the cost I bet the fan unit will work better than the single fan I had with a filter taped to the front of it.

Thanks for taking the time and reading this blog. I would love to hear any ideas you have to make this better or any questions you have about it.

Now I just got to figure out some new lighting and curtains that can be pulled out when getting used and pushed back when not in use……..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Fan Unit

The spray booth fan system is finished. Just like the dry rack I built this out of scrap wood. If you remember the pictures of the spray booth when I started the blog you can see that the right side of the spray booth was away from the wall. That was because I had an old bench there that I was just using to hold junk. After spraying some larger items I realized that I needed more room in the booth. Since the bench was old and just holding junk I decided to take it apart. After taking it apart I decided to use the plywood I took from the bench and build the unit to hold the spray booth fan.
Now I got more room in the booth by getting rid of that bench and using the wasted space. I just have plastic stapled up around the booth at the moment but like I said in my second blog I want to put up a curtain that I can just slide back and forth. But that's for another blog.

I built this unit so I could use two fans instead of one and also make the filter area bigger. I used two 20×30 filters. They were the biggest filters I could find at my local Lowes. I saw some 23×30 online, which would have worked better.

I designed the box to be the width of the two fans together. The width of two filters was smaller than the width of the two fans next to each other. I had to make a front channel to hold the filters instead of just cutting a dado in the case sides.

Between the filters and the fans I made a chamber so the filters should pull in the air equally instead of just were the round fan is. If or when I build a better one I will not just put the fan on a shelf like I did in this one. The way I have it now you can see that the shelf sticks into the chamber and I think it might hinder the air flow. Something I did not think about until I had it built and put the fans in. When I redo it I will put a solid panel in the back and a cutout for the fans. That way it will also be more air tight.

The biggest problem I had with making the unit was the connection from the fans to the window. The window is smaller than the fans so I decided to go with the idea of having the sides on an angle in the back to fit the window. Well that was easier than it sounds and I think that is the big down fall of the unit. There are a lot of gaps and rough angles, which some duct tape will fix but I want to find a better way.

Option #1 Just cut the window opening bigger to fit the two fans. This will also gain me a few inches since I could put the fans right in the window.
Option #2 Build a chamber like I have behind the filter and in front of the fans.

The other problem that I would love to hear your ideas about is how to close the window when not using it. In pro style ones I've seen they have flaps that open up once the fan is turned on. I don't know if I am pushing enough air for this option. My best option so far (I just thought of it while typing this) is to get some shutters for the window and just close them when I am not using it and open it when I am. I will have to go outside and do this but that is not problem!

I just finished the unit and installed it so I have not used it to spray and finish yet. I will keep you guys posted on how well it works. I am already thinking about what I can do better with it and maybe even make it a four fan unit with more filter area. (But that will have to wait)

All I had to buy was a new fan and the two filters (which will have to be changed when they get clogged). So for the cost I bet the fan unit will work better than the single fan I had with a filter taped to the front of it.

Thanks for taking the time and reading this blog. I would love to hear any ideas you have to make this better or any questions you have about it.

Now I just got to figure out some new lighting and curtains that can be pulled out when getting used and pushed back when not in use……..
I like this idea for an economical spray booth.
I spray allot of lacquer. I am concerned about drawing the vapors over the electric motor on the fan.
What do you think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fan Unit

I probably should have mentions this again, I only spray waterbased finish. The only problem I might have is killing a fan motor. If you are spryaing flamable vapors I would run a motor with a belt running thru the box to a fan mounted inside. That way the vapors wont get to the motor. You would also want to make sure you got explosion proof lights or your lights enclosed. I can't help you out finding parts to make a fan with the motor on a belt. Hopefully some one here can direct us where to go for those parts.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Fan Unit

very creative

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.