LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Saw this on local CL:
Wood Metal Composite material Audio equipment Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Metal

Advertised locally. Insription reads "Disston and Sons, Phila"

Now I want one. No, I want the whole set!!!
Had no idea that Disston made anything but saws.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you need one of these!!

https://amzn.to/3xFlCHK

- Don W
\

Yeah, Don, I realized after posting the original, that likely you would stop in and suggest one of your publications! It's difficult to get the broadminded experience up here in Canada, where certain things just don't exist. I've got a couple of your publications, all good!!

Hairy: I recall seeing a typesetter's plane, for leveling out lead type on printing press rolls. I bid on it, but got sniped at the last minute….Was that you? I hope so! Looks like it could be repurposed as a chute plane!!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
That wasn't me. I got it at Burlington Kentucky flea market many years ago.

I thought it would be good for a shooting board. Overcoming inertia is my main problem these days.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I've seen a ton of Disston things besides saws. I believe from the time they started gobbling up all the smaller makers for their monopoly. I've seen try squares, miter squares, bevel gauges, levels, saw sets, saw vises, files, all kinds of stuff. If you want to get an idea, here is an online version of their 1932 catalog:

https://archive.org/details/Disston1932Catalog_93MB/page/n49/mode/2up

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I've seen a ton of Disston things besides saws. I believe from the time they started gobbling up all the smaller makers for their monopoly. I've seen try squares, miter squares, bevel gauges, levels, saw sets, saw vises, files, all kinds of stuff.
- SMP
The even went motorized for a short time! Here is a 13 pound 7.25" circular saw monster they called their 'Super Duty Builders Saw':

Abrasive saw Saw Miter saw Helmet Motor vehicle

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hairy,
I have an old Disston hand plane.
View attachment 1225672

View attachment 1225729

I think it was made for the printing industry, to trim lead type.
Hairy, I had to go look to make sure I was not the guilty party who sniped you. Instead, I have this genuine "USMC" the United Shoe Machine Co. plane. It's 18" with a cutter that has a 90 degree profile in an "L" shape. I too thought I could turn it into a shoot plane, but...

Wood Gas Musical instrument Machine Metal
Wood Gas Musical instrument Machine Metal

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts