LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey guys.

Been trying to figure out the best way to use my router for cutting shapes while using guide bushings.

I made a simple rectangular template that will guide the router and I wanted to know if I should grab a straight bit or a spiral bit. If the latter, I know they have different types (up and down?).

I have a Makita palm router and I want to cut out handles in board stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Either will work but the spiral bits will give a cleaner cut. Upcut or downcut? I use both depending on whether the router is in the table or hand held. My goal is for the bit to pull chips out of the cut.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Will you be plunging the bit down into the wood or going into it from the side? If plunging, get a spiral bit. You have to make a ramped cut with a straight bit when going into the wood.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much guys.

Basically I'm going to be doing both plunge and side cuts. I've found that with the straight bits I've had, they seem to struggle a little. I might be trying to take too much stock at one time or I'm just buying cruddy bits.

With the spiral bit, do I have to make gradual cuts or is it possible to cut, say 1/2" ply in one pass?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You say a "Palm" router, if which you mean one of the smaller "compact" routers that only runs a 1/4" shank bit I would really hesitate to be cutting 1/2" ply in a single pass. It's always easier to take two or three passes than get agressive and then spend 2 to 3 times as much time fixing a "Boo-Boo", plus the one time I snapped a 1/4" bit I nearly wet my pants

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys… update.

I got that WHITESIDE #RD2100 bit.

This is my first go round with a spiral bit so it might just be their nature but wow, what an amazing tool. I'm using my HF 1/4" guide bushing with it and this thing cuts like a hot knife through butter. I created a template for some long cutouts that are about 1" in width and used it on 3/8" birch ply. Started with a pilot hole and made the first cuts with a couple of passes. Then, tried it with one pass with my router at a speed of about 4 of 6 on the dial. No problem at all. Beautiful, clean cuts.

I should have done this earlier.

Thanks again for your guidance everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.