LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm just getting started in 'fine' woodworking. My first project will be a dvd/blu-ray shelf. I have most of it planned out, but I'm concerned about the span.

I'm planning on making the shelf(floor standing btw) 41" wide with 40" shelves set in 1/4" dados. Was planning on just using #2 pine for this for 2 reasons. 1, I will probably mess up a few time and 2, I am painting this black so grain doesn't matter.

My concern is sag. DVD/Blurays aren't that heavy but I'm wondering if I will get sag regardless at that span, and if there is anything I can do without putting supports in. If I use 1/4" plywood on the back and glue each shelf to it, will that help support? What about nails in the back?

If I should use dividers, just tell me(although I'd rather not :) ).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here is a link someone else here on LJ's gave me, and it has been very useful:

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

I just finished a little project similar to yours, using painted #2 pine for shelves for paperback books and VHS tapes or DVDs, with a 36" span, and I would not have even considered not supporting it along the entire back length of the shelves. In my case I used 1-1/2 inch strips, which I rabbeted 3/4×3/8 to accept the back of the shelf, since this was to be attached the wall. I am not among the experts on such things here, but it seems to me that if the back of each shelf is firmly attached to your 1/4 inch plywood, it should serve the same purpose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. I tried it out using Eastern Pine. Span of 40" width of 7" (7 1/4" boards minus 1/4 for the rabbit around the back). and a thickness of 3/4". Came out to .02" of sag per foot. So I don't think it will be too bad especially if I glue and even nail the plywood back to the shelves.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.