LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here is a couple of scetches that I drew up to carve on my posts, I think I like the one on the left the best. What do you think? The posts will be 5×5's and the carvings will be 4 inches wide by 32 inches long. I am going to carve only two sides of each post. The posts are pine but I am thinking about carving the designs in cherry and on-laying them on the posts.

(c) copyright by robin renee'

(c) copyright by robin Renee'

(c) copyright by robin renee'

·
Registered
850 Posts
Rick, Yes, I drew these up…........free hand…...my flower on the left is unproportioned, but when I carve it it will be in proportion…..the one on the right is not drawn out fully, I will eventually draw a diamond up above it with a design in the middle of it and then flip the design that I already have drawn out.

Hi Tom1…..........that would be a good idea how I could get my oak in there too. So far we have used pine,cherry,maple,and oak….........so that might work out well. The railings are wrought iron but the hand rails and posts will be wood.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
hej Robin
for my 2cent
I vote for the left becourse the right as it is, is finished and you can´t go further with it
but the left you can continue down and around the post if you change your mind
you can even go up from it if you want
why don´t you make one of each and see what feel abaut them when you have looked
at them on the stairs for a week or two you will have a good feeling of what will be the best

what ever you decide I will look forward to see it

Dennis

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'll go for the one on the left Robin. Toying around with the idea of making the stem go around the post together with a few leaves won't be bad. Nice sketches my friend!!!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
the left .

great idea with the on-lay ,
that way you don't mess up the post .
( not that you would , but bench carving is easier ,
and more forgiving ) .

you have a nice design sense .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice sketches, Robin, but I know nothing about relief carving. My guess is that cherry would be a better wood to carve; pine's grain can be pretty difficult to work and the fact that it's grain is very prominent might take away from the detail of your carving. (Just my own, inexperience musings.) I'm sure your work will be fine, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
452 Posts
WOW..I love them both..the left one really catches my eye but so does the other one too..I think I would go with the left also..

I love the way you draw..I can sure use you to draw me some flower pictures that I can use in my marquetry..lol

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hi Robin,
I agree with everyone else that the drawing on the left will be the one to use. I assume you won't mind some constructive thoughts on the design. If you want the flower to be the same petal on all four sides, you can use mylar as a transfer merely by tracing the one you want and then placing it around a compass drawn circle. I also would encourage you to maintain the continuing line of convergence where the leaves join the stem. This line draws the eye through the pattern and will make a very good pattern great. Also the curves of the stem will need to be a little more symetrical. Again, a very good pattern that can be used all the way down a post. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Tom

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.