LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norm is back on youtube with a lot of his videos, awesome. It makes you wonder, how many millions of woodworkers owe their introduction into woodworking and their home shops to Norm.

Over the years I've asked a lot of woodworkers how they got their start in woodworking. Other than a few most of them said watching Norm.

I hope his youtube channel will open the doors for many more people interested in woodworking. He's one of a kind.

Norm's youtube channel

· Registered
2,477 Posts
He made blanket chests. I started making similar to sell. it was a hot item in the early days..

When I built my first house, we didn’t have cable in the country. He was one of the few programs I got on Saturday to watch on antenna..

· Registered
58 Posts
I watched the Shaker Clock one on YouTube. What struck me was all of the tools sans the Unisaw were what we would consider mid-level today. I know it was nearly 40 years ago and these were GOOD tools then, but look how far we have come, my jointer cost would buy most of the stuff in his shop. He used a lunchbox planer on the planks of wood. I am grateful for everything he did because my first tool 'investment' was a Craftsman radial arm saw, much like the Delta he used, that I still have. My first table saw was a Delta contractors because Delta was what he used. Good enough for him... I have upgraded over the last 40 years to the point where I am shopping a Hammer sliding 12" with scoring blade...

I distinctly remember watching the show when he used the first biscuit jointer. I told my wife, "Oh damn, I need one of those!" Yes, I still have that tool also.

That's the thing about pioneers, they make us think, what could I do, buy or design. I guess that was the point of the show.

Do we NEED bleeding edge tools in our shops? His show proves that we do not, as do a lot of YouTube content providers today. But isn't it great that people like Norm make us think, what could I do, buy or design.

Thanks Norm.

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
It's like hiking and enjoying the wonders of nature. You can do it, or you can watch videos of others doing it. Take your choice, but it's not the same.

· Registered
27 Posts
I don’t think I’ve seen all of Norms builds. Don’t know if there is a list.
There is a list with plans and such on the New Yankee Workshop website. They are currently rebuilding the site but the message says it will be available sometime in February 2023.

• Helpful
Reactions: bandit571
1 - 16 of 16 Posts