LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Woodworkers all:
Santa brought a new 12 Gal shop vac. I am adding a cyclone type device between the dust pick-up and the shop vac. Because I have a small shopI have decided to go with 2.5" hose . I discovered something really neat yesterday at the local hardrware store. 2.5" dust collection hose fits over 2" PVC pipe! My mind has gone crazy thinking of how I can run PVC from the cyclone to spots in the shop and then with hose, make the hook-ups to my power equipment. I was thinking I could "cap"unused sections of the PVC with PVC caps "friction-fitted." I think the addition of PVC holds a lot of possibilties. I was thinking of one section of PVC to my workbench, which could also service my tablesaw. Another run of PVC could go to my drill press.

I installed a 2.5" adapter on my Makita table saw yesterday and the "all hose" sytem worked.

Here is my question. I have read that I need to ground the PVC pipe. Do I just run the copper wire along the length of the pipe? Do I need to attach the wire to the pipe with a screw? At the other end, where I do I physically "ground" the end of the wire?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Interested to know this myself, I knew DC pipes needed to be grounded but never looked into it since I never planned on having more than a shop vac, now you've got my imagination going lol :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
There has been plenty of discussion of fire from PVC in a home shop do a quick search and you will find a ton of info, however here is a great resource on the topic http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Duct%20Design.htm.

If you are using a shop vac to your tools you will be limited to direct hook-up if you would like to maintain any CFMs. Runs of low diameter pvc will considerable reduce your CFMs.

A Shop Bag air cleaner with 1HP pulling 500 CFMs is recommend as a direct hook up, I would suspect a shop vac pulls considerable less CFMs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.