LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
selling the wood and tools in PA

So the big plan is on. One photo is the Current one car garage here in PA, shop #5 since 2013. See my home page for more. Moving at the End of the Calendar year. Sell as much as you can of the big stuff. Not just the home stuff as we own a home already in Glendale,AZ. Thanks to all who have commented on any ideas and shop ideas I asked about before. So this is really like starting over. The main stationary tools sold at the yard sale and not really my worry to get big bucks for them as some were used and of age anyways….what do you ask for a homemade router table and reconditioned router? Now it served me well and should run for many more years, so to me getting $25 for it was the goal. Was I happy ....no, was it my goal to not have to run craigs list ads and get scammed and negiotiate with some " tool expert" no… the new owner left happy, I had the cash and so went also the used craftman miter saw. the compressor. the tool chest. and some few portables I was not taking. Now the clamps started at a pile of 21, since I was a business you have clamps, and thats the bar clamps. Now I have 6, they get packed to go. In the photos is both the surprise and painful cash gain. I had hardwood lumber to sell--yes you should have been here…60 short oak pieces 40" plus, 30 cherry planks,8 some walnut planks and then some 25 plus strips of maple from a buy for $15….all sold for the asking price of $60. the buyer and seller were both pleased. my goal of getting the garage shop empty was a success and I have some maple to take with me. The vacant space told me I really had been busy 5 years collecting that wood and not so busy making projects. Another lesson learned, Clean out every now and then and feel better. Buyer #2 is buying the Norm Abram workbench for $50 and I have sketches and plans for the new bench to fit the new Shop already there….Workshop 6 my 8 by 16 Tuff Shed. Next for Sale is a Shopsmith 510 and 4 SPT. Inquires??? $1200
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Lumber

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood

Shade Wood Door Road surface Building

Lighting Retail Market City Building

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Selling My Arm...Selling My Shopsmith, Not in the Club anymore.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Property Table Wood Shelf Flooring

Wood Floor Flooring Building Hardwood

Well the big sale happened. I got 3 nice calls for My Shopsmith on the Craigslist ad. At least no scammers, had that before on a $100 workbench, and the sale was a nice negiotiation. So the new owner had a Shopsmith before and wanted another. Now for the Non club members you buy one for space , features, and quality . Quality..ever hear of one burning out, maybe an old green one but they are still coming up on sale lists, watch out they are likely dying and it was a 3/4 hp motor. For anyone who wants to think about it, Look up Shipwrights blog on Garage to Workshop in 2 minutes its a video on utube when he had his Arizona shop and his write up comments on how his respect changed for a Shopsmith quality and features. Mine was a case of house number 2 and the basement so small even my height I could almost touch the floor joists. the floor area was almost 10 by 20. I made 15 adirondack chairs in this shop and had to rip the 1×12 but carefully choose which end of the board to bring in the door first. Back to the sale. I felt the sadness of a major tool being sold off to someone else which I had owned for 20 years and even with almost 1000 in hand, just not the happy feeling. I guess I had counted on this one tool going to the new shop in AZ and still using it with my son and grandson. See the prior blog for the Tuff shed 8×16 it is small but this could do it. I am in a small group who have moved many times ( 5)contrary to many who have maybe 2 moves and are set up in their shop. I get to be cautious with my new funds and really decide what bench I want to build and how big, or what is clutter to dispose of. At 67 it is such an odd but fun feeling starting over. Yes I have been on the Craigslist Ads already for that area browsing for another, but really deciding do I have the space this time and leave myself building space ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,875 Posts

Well the big sale happened. I got 3 nice calls for My Shopsmith on the Craigslist ad. At least no scammers, had that before on a $100 workbench, and the sale was a nice negiotiation. So the new owner had a Shopsmith before and wanted another. Now for the Non club members you buy one for space , features, and quality . Quality..ever hear of one burning out, maybe an old green one but they are still coming up on sale lists, watch out they are likely dying and it was a 3/4 hp motor. For anyone who wants to think about it, Look up Shipwrights blog on Garage to Workshop in 2 minutes its a video on utube when he had his Arizona shop and his write up comments on how his respect changed for a Shopsmith quality and features. Mine was a case of house number 2 and the basement so small even my height I could almost touch the floor joists. the floor area was almost 10 by 20. I made 15 adirondack chairs in this shop and had to rip the 1×12 but carefully choose which end of the board to bring in the door first. Back to the sale. I felt the sadness of a major tool being sold off to someone else which I had owned for 20 years and even with almost 1000 in hand, just not the happy feeling. I guess I had counted on this one tool going to the new shop in AZ and still using it with my son and grandson. See the prior blog for the Tuff shed 8×16 it is small but this could do it. I am in a small group who have moved many times ( 5)contrary to many who have maybe 2 moves and are set up in their shop. I get to be cautious with my new funds and really decide what bench I want to build and how big, or what is clutter to dispose of. At 67 it is such an odd but fun feeling starting over. Yes I have been on the Craigslist Ads already for that area browsing for another, but really deciding do I have the space this time and leave myself building space ?
Well, OG2, I hope never to move. We have 3 acres where we are and I'm 2.7 miles from work and 1.5 miles from our church and every kind of shopping and restaurants (if one wants that sort of thing) is within 5 miles, so I plan to stay here the rest of my life. The church has a cemetery too - so maybe stay longer than that - at least in body.

I suppose it is a cleansing thing to get rid of stuff and start over though. I can see that. Of course, we don't have to move to do that.. but it's harder to do when you don't have to.

-Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Hey all OGs, ! I too have a home near everything I need, walk to the shops, or drive depending how may tubs of ice cream and potatoes I buy, the cemetery is just up the road, pubs restaurants are all in the shopping complex, trains and buses are also walking distance. No 4 son is 20mins away the rest of the family is 1000kls away.

I too need to do a clean up of timber and start to sell off of my gear as its getting little use as I get older and I am loosing interest in woodwork anyway and concentrating on supporting No 1 sons electric bike business.

I have some stock here now as demonstration models and its getting crowded so something has got to go.

Plant Automotive tire Tire Truck Wood

Plus I have a helper that likes not getting sawdust all over her!

Plant Tree Window Leisure Sky

The bikes are only 50 Kgs so they are very manageable for me
Here is a road legal SUR RON L1e model.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood

I think my thicknesser is harder to move about!

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,534 Posts

i sure hope i never have to go through it either ive accumulated way too much stuff to ever want to pack up,or sell.it always seems to go for pennies but comes back dollars,lots of dollars-lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you see the wood? Move to AZ, sell your shop

Building Wood Waste containment Floor Waste container

And another giant step Sell the extra wood and tool stands and nuts and bolt containers. Now $50 richer and smiiling since I will not have to pack it. that money can buy just what I need and not the extra extra stuff ( you have all those extra parts and such you have to have ). I get that new start to buy just a few boxes of screws and just the containers from wherever I want. Browsing Craigslist is so much fun. the price is great or rediculous…workbenches homemade for $600…oh wow. Now another selling for $50 that is 2×4 and plywood and a vise…better. The photo is the current garage wall where I had my pine and plywood and two old metal stands left from whatever. The new owner very happy and so am I.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Can you see the wood? Move to AZ, sell your shop

And another giant step Sell the extra wood and tool stands and nuts and bolt containers. Now $50 richer and smiiling since I will not have to pack it. that money can buy just what I need and not the extra extra stuff ( you have all those extra parts and such you have to have ). I get that new start to buy just a few boxes of screws and just the containers from wherever I want. Browsing Craigslist is so much fun. the price is great or rediculous…workbenches homemade for $600…oh wow. Now another selling for $50 that is 2×4 and plywood and a vise…better. The photo is the current garage wall where I had my pine and plywood and two old metal stands left from whatever. The new owner very happy and so am I.
Have a great time in AZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what is moving??

Luggage and bags Shelving Shipping box Bag Television

Wood Luggage and bags Bag Shelf Gas

Shelf Wood Shelving Cabinetry Luggage and bags

Engineering Wood Art Machine Souvenir

Souvenir Toy Market Shelving Collectable

Thanks for reading this. No whining in this blog. How about over $1400 and 25 maple strips and a benchtop bandsaw.?? The money is mostly from the Shopsmith and yardsales, workbench and selling the lumber I had stocked up here. Not such a bad picture now that I write it down. On the shelves shoe box bins of biscuits dowels and now tape measure rulers, parts I did not want to rebuy. Next is the shop vac and duststopper and the planer. On the shelves are crates with Shopsmith sandpaper,sanding belts and some books and sanding supplies. I sold a whole crate of sheet paper and off brand 5 inch disc paper., it was scary what I had stored. Also a black box a multiple drill bits hard to replace. Now the purple bench top is just garbage but under it is the bosch router, biscuit joiner, belt sander, 4 different sanders, great jig saw, electric nailer, air gun , bench vise and quick release wood vise.Knowing I was selling my router table I boxed my router bits and that box is ready to go also. On top the delta drill press, yup kept it. On the two rows of shelves, some hand planes, dust mask, ryobi drill set. smaller clamps, wood jaw clamps. I had already taken out in May my better chisels, drill bits, and some others knowing they would not return. In a prior blog I show building boxes for a waterbed. I bought already an 8 in craftsman saw like the first one I ever had, already with motor and stand, it was a great find on Craigslist. Another site was the workmate, bosch cord drill for kreg jig, and a 10 in saw he said no one had even offered on,so I bought it for $25. I did buy a new ryobi benchtop sander, and ridgid shop vac that can be a blower unit. In the big picture I am feeling good about my new start and just have to contain that impulse buying and shopping urge. I have a shedshop to equip with some light and insulation and a strange idea those double doors will be open a lot….not usually the case here in PA. Thanks for reading and following this.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting small AZ Shop..Shopsmith #2

Wood Gas Machine Hardwood Flooring

Wood Floor Electrical wiring Flooring Gas

Welcome to Sunny AZ where at Thanksgiving it is almost 65 and you wear jeans and T shirts mid day. And a new concept to Me, I don' t have to have the doors closed to my new shop the 8 by 16 Tuff Shed-yes it would be sorta small after one car garages that are 14 by 21-- but this is reality. I can say I have had 2 basement shops so small I could touch the floor joists and 2 one car garage shops so small is in the repertiore. This with its skylight I walked in last week and thought I left a light on. I don't have power there yet. In the big picture half would be a building area side with narrow wall bench and main bench 8×8 and the Shopsmith and moveable tools on the other 8×8 half as the cutting side and I keep having to say " go out and play Boy" put up the table or canopy and sand outdoors. Open the doors dummy. Now I stood and looked and no close by neighbor sees over the almost 7 foot concrete block wall. And mine is 35 feet in front of those doors and 15 feet from the end of the building, its a big back yard. Shopsmith number 2 came with good shopping again on Craigslist and not far away. The last owner kept it in great shape, its almost 30 years old, accessories from Shopsmith still in SS boxes, even some VHS project and plans. All in all, he was happy I was the buyer and I negotiated it transported to my home since I only had the Prius here. The band saw and jointer fill out the tool needs I was looking for. I wanted to show that for the space and what this will do I am looking ahead to time with grandson and son and more projects. They are 3 doors away. Also a new workbench is in pieces from the cull wood at HD, cost to me $32 for my 2×4 cedar that should look good but take some abuse. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,875 Posts

Welcome to Sunny AZ where at Thanksgiving it is almost 65 and you wear jeans and T shirts mid day. And a new concept to Me, I don' t have to have the doors closed to my new shop the 8 by 16 Tuff Shed-yes it would be sorta small after one car garages that are 14 by 21-- but this is reality. I can say I have had 2 basement shops so small I could touch the floor joists and 2 one car garage shops so small is in the repertiore. This with its skylight I walked in last week and thought I left a light on. I don't have power there yet. In the big picture half would be a building area side with narrow wall bench and main bench 8×8 and the Shopsmith and moveable tools on the other 8×8 half as the cutting side and I keep having to say " go out and play Boy" put up the table or canopy and sand outdoors. Open the doors dummy. Now I stood and looked and no close by neighbor sees over the almost 7 foot concrete block wall. And mine is 35 feet in front of those doors and 15 feet from the end of the building, its a big back yard. Shopsmith number 2 came with good shopping again on Craigslist and not far away. The last owner kept it in great shape, its almost 30 years old, accessories from Shopsmith still in SS boxes, even some VHS project and plans. All in all, he was happy I was the buyer and I negotiated it transported to my home since I only had the Prius here. The band saw and jointer fill out the tool needs I was looking for. I wanted to show that for the space and what this will do I am looking ahead to time with grandson and son and more projects. They are 3 doors away. Also a new workbench is in pieces from the cull wood at HD, cost to me $32 for my 2×4 cedar that should look good but take some abuse. Thanks
Looking good there!

You are getting pretty good at moving.

Maybe you should hire yourself out setting up shops for folks!

-Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
8,953 Posts

This all sound strangely familiar. Too bad we missed the timing, I could have set you up with a whole shop in one shot last January.
Good luck with the shop. You're going to love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,820 Posts

Assuming you are now in the Phoenix area. If so, you are gonna need a smallish A/C unit in that shed. Insulating might not be a bad idea, either. When it's 110° in the shade, that shed will be a broiler!
A couple good lumber sources around Phoenix are Timbers in Mesa and woodworkers Source in Tempe and out off 17 in PHX. There's more but, those are the best, IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

Aside from the heat. I know I could never survive working in your shop. I need more space. My hat is off to you for your willingness to work in such a small space.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Shop..Start New Benchwith Grandson #2

Furniture Table Wood Outdoor bench Stool

Furniture Wood Table Hardwood Fashion design

So What would you give up? I sold almost everything in the PA shop and my first Shopsmtih. This has been a long move and it finishes at Christmas this year. Right now I have another week to cleanup the house and fly home. But one task has been ANYTHING I can get done in the Shed Shop. Now I prefer Hals Wood Shop. that was my business name, much better. So being CHEAP I always look at the culled wood at Home Depot and it was a steal. 2×4 Redwood and 2×6 Redwood. and I had been planning the new bench for the shop. Now space is limited so design is a factor. This bench is with the 2x ends added 51 long by 29 1/2 wide and 32 high. So in an 8 ft. wide shop I have walk space around it clamping room on the edges, the right height for me at 5-6. Since the shop is not very ready at all I made this on plastic sawhorses in the garage with portable tools..there is a lesson for beginners. I wanted a practical bench, $32 in wood and a few dollars in 2 1/2 screws. I will add the bottom shelf and braces. 8 screw in elongated holes hold the top, it will remove to take it out to the new shop. Casters may be an add onl later. I have a quick release vise for the left front corner and may buy or build a clamp on end vise. Yes the grandson was busy with the screw gun learning what drywall screws can do, small ones can drill holes and move screws in and out alot but be right there with you. that drill is about 2 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,584 Posts

So What would you give up? I sold almost everything in the PA shop and my first Shopsmtih. This has been a long move and it finishes at Christmas this year. Right now I have another week to cleanup the house and fly home. But one task has been ANYTHING I can get done in the Shed Shop. Now I prefer Hals Wood Shop. that was my business name, much better. So being CHEAP I always look at the culled wood at Home Depot and it was a steal. 2×4 Redwood and 2×6 Redwood. and I had been planning the new bench for the shop. Now space is limited so design is a factor. This bench is with the 2x ends added 51 long by 29 1/2 wide and 32 high. So in an 8 ft. wide shop I have walk space around it clamping room on the edges, the right height for me at 5-6. Since the shop is not very ready at all I made this on plastic sawhorses in the garage with portable tools..there is a lesson for beginners. I wanted a practical bench, $32 in wood and a few dollars in 2 1/2 screws. I will add the bottom shelf and braces. 8 screw in elongated holes hold the top, it will remove to take it out to the new shop. Casters may be an add onl later. I have a quick release vise for the left front corner and may buy or build a clamp on end vise. Yes the grandson was busy with the screw gun learning what drywall screws can do, small ones can drill holes and move screws in and out alot but be right there with you. that drill is about 2 pounds.
Great deal and very useful sturdy bench

Attachments

·
Registered
17,103 Posts

We woodworkers tend to romanticize our workbenches and dream of all kinds of fancy variations, but when you get down to it, it is still just a sturdy flat topped table and if it includes a few basic holding devices it will do the job. The size is not as important as some might think. Your bench looks great and I see a lot of potential for storage drawers and/or cupboards between the legs which could also be useful in a small shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The New Shop Beginning..in AZ

Building Door Flooring Floor House

Wood Building Paint Art Door

Well lets be invitiing. Its a shed shop or Hals Wood Shop 10 feet from the house, a ranch on a slab. With the double doors open here is a starting inviting view. This is week one of developing the Shop. What are you expecting the Norm Abrams shop..remember him or recall Jay Bates starting in an apartment in where he was working he made some good projects in next to no space and basic tools..worth the revisit. This is my shop #6 after 2 small basement shops I could touch the floor joists and 2 exterior garage shops in PA and then a one car in the basement shop. Now I get to use my space experience and open the doors to not be totally enclosed most of the time or foolish enough to think in Arizona you want to go into a small shed at Noon in June…are you not thinking?? Thinking here is what tools do the most, what organization fits HOW you work not how many tools you have, what do you make, too big a project and you can move it outdoors and put up a canopy most times ( like it rains 35 days a year here, OK they do heat here but not freeze your butt off and run the wood stove. ) Now I had one or two real opportunities in my real life having to work in those small spaces and small budgets. With that I had bought a Shopsmith for the quality and what it could do. Please check out utube …garage to shop in 2 and half minutes by Paul Miller…aka Shipwright and his comments on his blog how he was impressed with what the tool could do as he set up his shop #2. Now I sold my First Shopsmith this November in PA after 20 years due to cost to transport and it had many accessories. What a sad feeling. But I was already shopping Craigslist in Phoenix for another and had great fortune to find another with excellant part and condition for almost what I had made on my old 510 model. with bandsaw and jointer. So prepped with the basics of a Shop…table saw jointer drill press lathe and jointer in a small space things were off to a good start
Gas Electrical wiring Machine Engineering Waste container

end part 1

Attachments

·
Registered
8,953 Posts

Well lets be invitiing. Its a shed shop or Hals Wood Shop 10 feet from the house, a ranch on a slab. With the double doors open here is a starting inviting view. This is week one of developing the Shop. What are you expecting the Norm Abrams shop..remember him or recall Jay Bates starting in an apartment in where he was working he made some good projects in next to no space and basic tools..worth the revisit. This is my shop #6 after 2 small basement shops I could touch the floor joists and 2 exterior garage shops in PA and then a one car in the basement shop. Now I get to use my space experience and open the doors to not be totally enclosed most of the time or foolish enough to think in Arizona you want to go into a small shed at Noon in June…are you not thinking?? Thinking here is what tools do the most, what organization fits HOW you work not how many tools you have, what do you make, too big a project and you can move it outdoors and put up a canopy most times ( like it rains 35 days a year here, OK they do heat here but not freeze your butt off and run the wood stove. ) Now I had one or two real opportunities in my real life having to work in those small spaces and small budgets. With that I had bought a Shopsmith for the quality and what it could do. Please check out utube …garage to shop in 2 and half minutes by Paul Miller…aka Shipwright and his comments on his blog how he was impressed with what the tool could do as he set up his shop #2. Now I sold my First Shopsmith this November in PA after 20 years due to cost to transport and it had many accessories. What a sad feeling. But I was already shopping Craigslist in Phoenix for another and had great fortune to find another with excellant part and condition for almost what I had made on my old 510 model. with bandsaw and jointer. So prepped with the basics of a Shop…table saw jointer drill press lathe and jointer in a small space things were off to a good start

end part 1
Looking Good! It's not about how much space you have. It's about how you use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,820 Posts

end part 1
Ya might wanna insulate and get an AC! Otherwise, you'll be just an Oct. to April, woodworker. Spent 18 years in Coolidge. Only took one summer to convince me to AC my shop.
One nice thing about the SS. You can roll it outside for those long rips.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New Shop part 2

Property Wood Building Hardwood Shelf

Wood Luggage and bags Flooring Comfort Bag

Part 2 The end wall of this Shop is 8 feet wide the length is 16 feet. Planning is crucial. Of these photos I am showing already I had too much going into the shop and will have to plan , how I work. But this is week 1. I show in the last pic tool boxes on the floor and frames on the studs. I planned a 16 inch bench for tools and items on a bench not a building bench. The tools came from an opportunity to buy out a contractor who moved and all these are separates plus a rolling tool stand and miter saw for $250, being in the right place at the right time. Many are on my sell list and make the money back since I had to buy the lot, but it shows don't plan and you loose space. I had to clear the garage for cars. In another I made a black tool tower from scrap. its looking too big for the floor space and I had planned panels on the wall that I did not get up yet and either french cleats or narrow shelves for storage or crates ( 12 ") screwed to the panels. Even the workbench is 29 in wide I am thinking that the 8- 2×4 made it too wide and a 26" would be better, so removing one will do the task. I work better with a central bench not a wall bench. I already had a 4 inch belt disk sander and separate router table, planning where they go as benchtop tools for work flow is needed. I like the workmate I bought for clamping and space. my new shopvac and dustseparator are together and I have an extra hose to make it more than 12 feet almost anywhere from the center. all this is helping me plan the electric what and where. I have a nice insulation called Reflectic that I am stapling into the framing for heat reflection and later whatever heat deflection. Small fans are waiting to move air, also end wall vents. One main goal is to keep a 6ft by 6 ft work space as much as possible in the middle, overfilling the shed would be too easy.
thanks. more later after New Years.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.