LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi All,

I've come to have urgent need of a drill press. I cant really afford much right now and i'm looking to get the best bang for buck. Basically i'm limited to a small benchtop model. I could get the HF for about $60, but that's a last resort. I've found the following more substantial options on craigslist:

1. craftsman 21912 basically new in box for $90.
2. Delta sm300 (shopmaster) used for $75.

specs are about the same for both. notably the delta appears to be 1/4HP and the craftsman about 2/3hp.

I'm leaning towards the craftsman since it is new, slightly higher powered, and appears more solidly built than the "bottom-of-the-barrel" shopmaster delta. but i'm leary of craftsman.

anyone have any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Not to try to change your mind but some of the horse power ratings on tools are "peak" HP and can be misleading.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Harbor Freight $79 drill press only has a 2 inch spindle stroke. That mean you can't drill anything over 2 inches thick. This may be all you need but if you deside later you want to do pens you will need a longer stroke. I think pen blanks go from 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 depending on what tou are making. The motor size will probably be OK if you are drilling wood or light metal. I bought a $99 pen lathe from Harbor Freight to use untill I decided if I wanted to make pens, I wish now I had put that $99 on a better lathe. I would look for a used drill press if I couldn't afford a larger one. Just my openion .

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i tried to find the amperage of the delta, but couldnt. i think the craftsman had a 6A draw.

as far as stroke, both are something like 2 3/8. which is slightly better than the HF, but not enough to really count. oh well - should be enough for now since i have no plans for any pens at all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.