LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Joey, We are good here. I got a new puter, changed browsers, and LJ remains WAY slower than other site I frequent (Forestry Forum, Craigslist, etc)

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
Andy, there are times lately when it is slow and other times not. Mostly slow lately. I hear that weather conditions can effect the speed.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I've noticed that the more Wild Turkey I drink, the faster the site seems to load….

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Speedy here.. keep in mind that it is not always the site you are visiting, but your connection and all the pipes needed to get there in between. Sometimes the large peer exchanges are flooded and cause a bottleneck for one person, yet another who has a different route doesn't see any difference. Do a traceroute and you can figure out where the bottleneck is, if any.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Have to agree with Brad. Check first to see what your connection speed is from your Internet provider. Try going to . . .

www.speedtest.net

BUT, make sure to use the "BEGIN TEST" button, not the "START NOW" button. This site lets you perform a speed test at no charge via the "BEGIN TEST", but they are also trying to sell you their software via the "START NOW" button.
Here's what you should see when you go to their site . . .

Light Font Rectangle Gadget Screenshot

This is the site that my Internet provider's service staff use. I have had no problems with it giving accurate results, and it was my main tool in diagnosing poor connection speeds (as low as 0.01 Mbps) a while ago.
Your speed results will show up in this format . . .

Font Automotive exterior Display device Electric blue Signage

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Posting something or doing a refresh, the status bar shows progress in a 'left to right' fashion but kinda stalls about 20% into the process. So I don't know what gets done at that point, but I wonder if it isn't all the tracker and snoop engines that LJs allows.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
the only thing that I have noticed is a "ghosting" that appears when I click through the pictures on someone's project page. its like the old picture is still there, at 50% opacity, while the next picture is trying to show through as well…

·
Registered
709 Posts
Personally I think it's all the advertisements that have to populate the page. It's very slow for me and sometimes even slower than that.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Personally I think it s all the advertisements that have to populate the page. It s very slow for me and sometimes even slower than that.

- thelt
I agree. If you do not block the ads, the pages load much slower. If you are using an an blocker, it could just be that your brain is running faster as you age making it seem like the site is slowing down!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Andy, I find that my age slow is better. I've been away from the site and my computer in general. A local antique dealer found I would tackle nearly any kind of restoration and has been coming every week to pick up the fixed and leave off more broken. I think he realizes that I don't charge enough and I get the items back pretty quick. Suits me, I enjoy the work and the extra pocket change. Recently he has had some 100+ year old wood items from the Middle East that the wood is dry beyond belief. It's hard not to cause more damage as I fix things. I also have some orders from stuff made of BKP and I just finally got some wood from snowbound Monte. And another problem is my new camera takes pictures too big for LJ to download. And last but not least, I was in the hospital for 4 days on an IV drip. My legs had swollen so bad, my doctor had to put me there. Must have worked as I lost ( pissed away) 31 lbs. in those 4 days. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'll try to get with the program and resume my activity in LJ. By the way, the reports of my untimely demise are somewhat exaggerated…..some time I'm dozed off, Kathy has to shake me back to life.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine is slow (dropping out I think it's called) that it's not worth visiting the site. I only have problems with sites that are ad heavy and was told to install ad and pop up blockers to solve it. My internet speed is fine. I never installed the blockers because I wanted the site to reap the benefits, but I find that if I want to continue viewing this site I will have to do so. This site is by far the worst for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.