LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a craftsman sliding miter saw that makes a ton of dust. I have attached a 5.5 hp shopvac to the port above the blade. It really doesn't do anything and the bag thingy put on collects nearly nothing. I have seen on this site people who have made an enclosure type thing with a hole in the back for the dust collection hose. Just wondering how well these work. Also, I didn't find an answer to whether a shop vac will work well. A large dust collection system just isn't in the budget now. Thatnks for any help.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
The problem with a shop vac is they don't have very much air volume compared to a dust collector and while they can also pick up nails, what you need is a lot of volume and not so much vacuum pressure. The larger air volume of a dust collector results in more air maintaining a higher velocity so as to keep the dust suspended in the air before it gets a chance to fall and settle on whatever is below it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A shop vac will do best in any close capture situation. Like a shroud on a blade.
But, the miter saw just makes more dust than they can handle usually.
A duct collector is better at low pressure, high volume applications, like a dust hood, but miter saws are notorious for throwing dust in so many directions it's very hard to design a hood that works.
So, the best is a combination, of which you have the first half.
The "2HP" dust collector from Harbor Freight can be bought for around
$150 or a little less, depending on which coupon you get, and is about the best bang for the buck to fill in the other half.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The most effective system I have seen is at a woodworking club where I was once a member. It is a shroud-type enclosure behind the blade (picture a funnel or a catchers mitt) that was shaped so that the dust would fall to a low, central spot. At that spot was the connection to the dust collection system. I would think a shop vac would have been sufficient, but the club's system was a powerful, high-volume one.

Basically, it was a long funnel bent 90-degrees about midway up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.