LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone,
I need some help. I purchased this slab at an auction. The label stated it was black walnut and the color and bark seemed to match. I got it home a few weeks ago and set to sanding it. To my surprise, the rich dark brown disappeared and was replaced by a greenish/yellowish hue. The sawdust looked like mustard powder after awhile. Not sure what to think. Here a few pics and another slab of the identical type that remains unfinished. Thanks so much. Frank.
Brown Wood Rectangle Hardwood Tints and shades

Wood Natural material Fawn Hardwood Artifact

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heh, on this computer screen at least it looks like osage orange.

Is it noticeably harder than you were expecting from walnut?

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I'd have to agree with Osage orange, though the hue of the wood does look a little like poplar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you guys may be right. This wood is extremely hard. When I de barked the live edge, there were a few thorns as well. I think it's black locust. Disappointed a bit. Any recommendations for finishing this slab? Should I use a stain?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Female osage orange trees have thorns as well. Whether it's black locust or osage orange, personally I would not try to stain it because either wood takes a nice smooth polish and both will age to some kind of classy looking muted reddish brown color.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I don't know how much you paid, but in my part of the world, (SE Tennessee), Black Locust and Osage Orange are prized, and walnut is cheap.
I've paid as little as $1.25 a bd. ft. for walnut, air dried for over ten years. Kiln dried I can get for about $1.75 a bd. ft.
I think what you have there is beautiful…

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Take some of the wood and drop it in a glass of warm water (shavings or sanding dust will work faster). If it's Osage Orange, the water will turn yellow, as the yellow pigment in the wood is water soluble.

Either way, I agree with Tennessee. Walnut has been increasing in price, but slabs of black locust and especially Osage are much harder to find and would be more valuable to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try the sawdust trick. As for the price, it was only $10. I wouldn't go back and not buy it for that price. I can't really complain. It was just alot brighter than I had wanted for the living room.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Thanks guys, I ll try the sawdust trick. As for the price, it was only $10. I wouldn t go back and not buy it for that price. I can t really complain. It was just alot brighter than I had wanted for the living room.

- fran35
If it's Osage, the surface will darken from yellow to a beautiful coppery brown in short order-even quicker if you put it in sunlight.

For $10, you got a steal, regardless of species.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Better buy all the walnut that you can for $1.75/BF. The wholesale price for a tractor trailer load of select black walnut loaded at the sawmill not including the trucking freight is approaching $4.00/BF. That is a 15,000 BF load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I ll try the sawdust trick. As

If it s Osage, the surface will darken from yellow to a beautiful coppery brown in short order-even quicker if you put it in sunlight.

For $10, you got a steal, regardless of species.

- JayT
Thanks. Question: will the wood still change colors with a coat of poly on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brown Wood Trunk Wood stain Flooring

Ok, another dumb question. I applied a dark stain prior to deducing that it was Osage. In light of the fact that this is freshly sanded Osage and will revert to a coppery shade of brown, should I sand the stain off or leave it and poly it? Here is an updated photo with the stain, I like how it turned out but wonder if it will change dramatically as the surface layer ages. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.