LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Description and explanation

I have made a number of woodworking Sketchup Textures. Just private message me and I will email you the file. I used to keep a link to a server, but that server is no longer active. I will need your email address, obviously.

The textures I could find were not very realistic, or had limited usability, so I made my own. These are seamlessly tiling textures, so dramatic large grain patterns are avoided. I prefer the type of textures I have made over some that I have seen on the internet, or that can be made using specific programs designed for woodworking textures.

1) Unzip it into your materials folder, it should leave a folder under materials named Woodworking.

2) The textures include vertical and horizontal textures if the material has an orientation, so that you don't have to reposition them just for those changes.

3) There are also Finished wood textures, they start with 'Fin'. There are plywood edge textures that you will probably have to position. The textures without the prefix of 'Fin' are supposed to be raw wood.

And as usual, I accept all suggestions and criticism, so wail away. Also if you would like a particular texture just for your particular need, let me know, and I will create it as time allows. Since I am now retired, I have a lot of allowable time…(-: It is usually not a difficult task for me, since I have done a lot of this in another hobby.
Bodie
Glad you like them, one of these days I may make some more. If anyone has any special requests let me know. I just picked on a bunch of wood that seems to be commonly used and if nothing else could be used for rough design.

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

I have made a number of woodworking Sketchup Textures. Just private message me and I will email you the file. I used to keep a link to a server, but that server is no longer active. I will need your email address, obviously.

The textures I could find were not very realistic, or had limited usability, so I made my own. These are seamlessly tiling textures, so dramatic large grain patterns are avoided. I prefer the type of textures I have made over some that I have seen on the internet, or that can be made using specific programs designed for woodworking textures.

1) Unzip it into your materials folder, it should leave a folder under materials named Woodworking.

2) The textures include vertical and horizontal textures if the material has an orientation, so that you don't have to reposition them just for those changes.

3) There are also Finished wood textures, they start with 'Fin'. There are plywood edge textures that you will probably have to position. The textures without the prefix of 'Fin' are supposed to be raw wood.

And as usual, I accept all suggestions and criticism, so wail away. Also if you would like a particular texture just for your particular need, let me know, and I will create it as time allows. Since I am now retired, I have a lot of allowable time…(-: It is usually not a difficult task for me, since I have done a lot of this in another hobby.
bentlyj
What I thought I would do in my spare time this weekend is get take my copy of "World Woods in Color" which my wife gave me many years ago to encourage me to start this hobby, (that's what you call a supportive wife) and make textures for the 275 commercial woods described therein. Would that do….......(-:

Actually I think I could make a lot of unusual woods, but you can't put large or dramatic grain patterns in textures like these because they tile poorly. But there are many I would like including purple heart, birds eye maple, etc. When I made these I used pictures for reference and occasionally as the base texture that I modified. Other times, I built the texture from scratch. I actually had a pile of different wood species in my office while I was doing these to use for reference, and I hope that has made them more realistic.

· Super Moderator
5,054 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got into using Sketchup recently and wanted to use the files Jim was so nice in providing. Since I'm a Mac user I had to dig a bit to figure out where to put these files - it's : ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp. Still trying to figure out how to get to them in the Sketchup program but hopefully I'll have that figured out in a few minutes :)

· Registered
2,583 Posts

Very nice Jim. I installed it and am VERY happy with more choices now. Thanks for sharing this.

If you do expand it much more, might I suggest you make a way of organizing them? For instance, if you end up someday with a hundred textures, maybe divide them up into separate groups(in your case, materials\folders) such as Plywoods, RoseWoods, DarkWood, LightWood, MediumWood? And then again, maybe not.

The Named-Colors that SU provides does them by shades and it works pretty well. Maybe you could group yours by shades? I like the fact that you've separated the unfinished ones from the finished ones. FWIW, SU sorted their Named-Color pallet by simply numbering them. That would allow you to put the "Fin" designation at the end. When I browse, I like the name of the wood on the left of the name. Just my 2c worth.

Edit: Oh Jim, I had a bit of a time installing it. Using Vista, I saved it to the Materials folder. Then opened up W. Explorer to unzip it. I couldn't find the file. Tried to download the file again, oops, it is already there. Long story short, I can see it from the SaveAs dialog but not through Explorer. I know I was looking in the same folder because I temporarilly renamed one of the other folders and saw that change in Explorer and in the SaveAs. Well, I got it done regardless of that mystery but I'm curious why it happened. Oh well.

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

rance
Glad you find them useful. As noted, they are tiling and "light weight". Someday gotta do some more textures. This portable is Vista (I am at my vacation home), but my home stuff is Windows 7.

When I do something different (don't hold your breath, I will look at the comments here).

Have a good one, check out my latest blog….....

Minibench

.........looking for comments…........

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

bentylj

Thanks again for coming by, that's what keeps me going.

Thank you….....

Alaska jim

· Registered
36 Posts

I cant get them to open properly ! :) you get a minute could I please have the play by play?

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

thebenchroom
Yup, late right now, but I will answer in the morning,.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

thebenchroom
Download the file and follow the instructions I provided for Mike, in the eighth comment to this post. If you are still having problems, notify me here, or by PM.

· Registered
37 Posts

Jim,

Thank you for the files. You are very gracious for doing this big project for us at LJ.

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Hersh
I always meant to make more of them, and perhaps I will…......but I am too busy using them to find the time!

Have a good one, and you are welcome.

· Registered
6,953 Posts

Jim,
I just saw this. Thanks!! I've added it to my Sketchup 2015 and it works perfectly!

Lew

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Yikes, Lew, the link still works, 4 years later! I use these when ever I use Sketchup…......

Have a good day, I am just learning to do some resawing to make a remembrance box for my mother-in-law who passed away 3 months ago. It will be buried with her ashes down in Oregon. We will go there in early May.

I am way behind on postings of projects and blogs, but that will change at the end of this year….......

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.