LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi All,

I have decided to enter the world of software woodworking, I want to make a plan of attack so I figured that I would combine my too hobbies of woodworking and computers.

I have never used designing software before so I am wondering if any of you have used this Sketchup 2015 before and I just re;aised that this is there newest release and what you think of it as a woodworking software.. it seems a little geared for construction and civil planning..

Any tips, suggestion or general feedback most welcome!!!

I dowloaded this primaraily because its free..

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I use sketchup a lot and really like it. You also can't beat the price.

it seems a little geared for construction and civil planning..
It's actually very versatile. It works great to plan out joinery, anticipate and avoid problems and take a look at proportions before committing to a design on a piece. The more you use Sketchup, the more you will realize it is able to do. I've found that if I can imagine it, there is a way to draw it in SU. You don't have to let the program dictate your imagination.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with JayT. I usually use it to get something from my head to something visual. Dimensions especially. Ill also use it to add things i might want to incorporate to see if i will like them. It's worth learning how to use it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've been using it for a few years now (free version) and have found it invaluable for overall design and layout of joinery especially mortise & tenon. It's east to print out schematics with labeled measurements and take them out to the shop. If you run a laptop, you can make changes on the fly and check for discrepancies.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've used SketchUp since the early days. As far as I'm concerned, its the only one worth learning. (They ALL have a learning curve.)

SketchUp does everything you need to do, and lots more.

And you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
so many can print out pages of 20/20 or mindless programs called sketch up and throw in auto cad, onto perforated pages of endless ink

from paint

and wood

and observation

is canvas that never ends

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
it is critical in the world of woodworking

to understand the "plan view"
to see the "front view"

if you need sketch up, to see this

your a designer

not the craftsman : ))

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I just started learning the program recently. In the past, I have built my projects from a sketch pad. Currently, I am building a baby changing station for my daughter that I drew in Sketchup.

It was a struggle at first but getting better every day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.