LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm designing a bed in Sketchup and I had a question about matching the curve in one piece to another piece. In particular, my foot board and headboard posts will have a slight curve (drawn with arc tool) on the inside edge and I'm trying to figure out how to create the upper and lower rails with a complementary curve.

Creating a complementary curve on the wood will be easy, but not sure how to do it in the Sketchup model.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in no way an expert on Sketchup but may be able to help. Not sure I totally understand what you are asking. Do you want the Arch, curve, the exact same size and angle on both the head and footboard? Maybe you could post a pic of your model so far? Will be happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here's the prototype of the leg. The lines are just for reference. The bottom line is where the curve starts. The bottom of the leg is 3" wide, the top is 2.5" wide. The top line is where the top of the rail will sit. It's not a very big curve, but it's big enough that I want to make sure that the pieces meet together exactly. That means I need to create a curve on the rail that will complement the curve on the post. The post curves in, so the rail needs to curve out to complement the curve on the post. I could make it easy and just do a simple angle, but I thought a slight curve would look nicer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The deflection of the arc can be called out just like a distance dimension. Simply using the same radius may work, depending on your design. There is also a scale tool. You can select any component and make it bigger or smaller, while maintaining scale. That tool has been helpful from time to time.
Also familiarize yourself with the offset tool, that is handy too.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Or--

if you draw the rail so that it goes "through" the leg then select it, right-click, and choose "intersect faces with model" it will "cut" the rail exactly where it contacts the leg.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You say you're using the arc tool. When I use the arc tool, I drop a guide line where I want the "top" of the arc, say 1/2" in your case. So if you put a guide line on your post at 1/2" and use that as the top of your arc, you can do the same for the rail. Draw a guide line 1/2" outside the rail and draw an arc to that. Based on how I understand your question, I think that will work, no?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to do it by aligning the arc line onto the rail board rectangle. It took some finagling, but I got it to work pretty well.

I just learned another way to do it with "Paste in Place". I selected the mortise in each section, made them a grouped them, made them a component, and then copied them to the end of the rail board rectangle. Easy peasy. Just thought everyone should know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.