LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Barrister Bookcase

This is a bookcase from Popular woodworking. The plans are available from their website for free as well as the sketchup model. I did the model myself before I realized there was one on the 3D warehouse. I found the model they posted is a little bit lacking. They didn't bother with the chamfers and all the brass pins needed for the design. I tried to make this model a complete as possible. I did get lazy when it came to the pocket holes. I think I might eventually create a model of a pocket whole and then I could do an intersect with model to place then. My version isn't up on the warehouse yet because I'm having trouble uploading from sketchup on my work pc. I'll give it a shot at home later since doing this on my lunch break just isn't working.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Barrister Bookcase

This is a bookcase from Popular woodworking. The plans are available from their website for free as well as the sketchup model. I did the model myself before I realized there was one on the 3D warehouse. I found the model they posted is a little bit lacking. They didn't bother with the chamfers and all the brass pins needed for the design. I tried to make this model a complete as possible. I did get lazy when it came to the pocket holes. I think I might eventually create a model of a pocket whole and then I could do an intersect with model to place then. My version isn't up on the warehouse yet because I'm having trouble uploading from sketchup on my work pc. I'll give it a shot at home later since doing this on my lunch break just isn't working.

I have this up now.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accent Table

This idea has been in my head for about a year. I started woodworking a year and a half ago. I've been sitting with this idea for so long I'm not sure if its MY design or if this is someone else's. I've searched for this table online with no luck and I honestly don't remember where the idea came from or if its my original idea so I'll be taking credit for it unless I am corrected.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accent Table

This idea has been in my head for about a year. I started woodworking a year and a half ago. I've been sitting with this idea for so long I'm not sure if its MY design or if this is someone else's. I've searched for this table online with no luck and I honestly don't remember where the idea came from or if its my original idea so I'll be taking credit for it unless I am corrected.

oh PS

I DO know that the floating top part is not my idea. I got that concept from Damian Penney. The part that I am unsure of is the circle in the middle.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Desktop Organizer TSDC 30 day contest entry

Desktop Organizer

Thanks guys. I'm slowly starting to learn that there are some mistakes that I am going to make no matter how hard I try so I'm trying to teach myself ways to work around my issues instead of trying to defeat them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Candle holder

This is the candle holder center piece featured in woodsmith magazine. You've seen this many time on lumberjocks. If you haven't made one yet, like me, here is the sketchup to help you on your way.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Candle holder

This is the candle holder center piece featured in woodsmith magazine. You've seen this many time on lumberjocks. If you haven't made one yet, like me, here is the sketchup to help you on your way.
very nice, I just started to mess around with sketchup. Between that and being new to lumberjocks it's difficult finding time to eat!!! HAHA

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easiest tappered legs ever

I was doing tapered legs with the follow me tool. It was quick to do tapers and chamfers like that but a light bulb went on in my head a couple minutes ago. With auto fold, tapered legs can be done in a single step as you draw the legs without extra work.

First: draw the leg down from the table to the point where the taper should start.

Second: draw a rectangle on the bottom of the leg that is the size and in the location of the finished tapered leg.

EDIT Then just pull it (oops! don't use the pull tool) move the surface of the smaller rectangle down to its final length. DUH! Everyone else probably already does it this way but this is a new technique for me and wow is it faster.

Something simple like this would have taken me a long time before. Now I can whip out a table like this is a couple minutes including mortises and tenons.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I was doing tapered legs with the follow me tool. It was quick to do tapers and chamfers like that but a light bulb went on in my head a couple minutes ago. With auto fold, tapered legs can be done in a single step as you draw the legs without extra work.

First: draw the leg down from the table to the point where the taper should start.

Second: draw a rectangle on the bottom of the leg that is the size and in the location of the finished tapered leg.

EDIT Then just pull it (oops! don't use the pull tool) move the surface of the smaller rectangle down to its final length. DUH! Everyone else probably already does it this way but this is a new technique for me and wow is it faster.

Something simple like this would have taken me a long time before. Now I can whip out a table like this is a couple minutes including mortises and tenons.

Hey a quick note here. I just noticed I said to "pull it down to its final length". I should have said to "move it down to its final length". You use the move tool to move the surface of the smaller rectangle down in the blue axis. If you use the push/pull tool it will no auto fold and you do not get a taper.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts

nice

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yea I make a component of the leg. Then you only cut the mortise once. err… twice.. There is one on each inside face. Its a shame how I have to learn things on my own for it to stick. I'm betting this method is in every tutorial ever and somehow I've missed it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sure man that would be great. Trouble is figuring out what to work on.

THANKS!

hmmm You ever think of hosting a session with several people? I wonder how many PC's can connect with skype and video before your bandwidth is choked out?

·
Registered
1 Posts

For those interested in screen captures for whatever reason, try Screen Hunter software. Its a totally free download, saves to the clipboard or a graphics file, and will capture the entire screen (ala the Print Screen Key) or a region. The region option allows the user to draw a custom sized box around anything on the screen to save it. I own both SnagIt 8 and Screen Hunter and usually use the Screen Hunter for straight captures. It won't capture live action, but I use Camtasia Studio for that. I produce teaching videosd on many computer applications to aid my students in their studies.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey don't sweat it Dave. Just roll with it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

The ability to move lines and afect the entire mass of the object is one of the best features of Sketchup…

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hmm here is a wiered anomaly with my leg method. It appears that the tapper can not be to a point where the end is less than half of the original width.

I guess it might be better to just draw guide lines on the bottom of the foot and move the sides over to make the tapper.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I guess the second easiest tapered legs would be done like this?

This topic is probably to simple to keep anyone's interest but I am finding that the move tool is having a revolutions in my sketchup use. I never touched it two weeks ago and now its my go to tool.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.