LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Sketchup Experts,
I have been working with the tutorials on the Sketchup for Woodworkers site. In a video that introduces the 'Follow Me' tool two moldings are created at the top of a bookcase. The first is on the vertical surface of a bookshelf following along the top edge. I have no problem with this molding. The second molding is created from a rectangle so that it lays on the top of the case two inches from the edge and extends one inch over the edge. To extend the molding around the top of the bookcase a line is drawn around three side on the top of the case two inch from the edge. When I pull the rectangle with the 'Follow Me' tool only three side of the rectangle are pulled. The bottom (horizontal) line does not follow, so I end up with hollow shape over the case. Using the the 'Push/Pull' tool seems to work fine pulling all four sides and creating a solid molding. If you can understand my explanation - does anyone have an idea of what I am missing here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah-Ha! That was it. I needed to make a component out of the first piece of molding. Which leads to another question. I learned about component from viewing your fern stand video (I just saw you also have a Moldings By Follow Me video - I should watch that.) The tutorial I was using first used groups and later presented components and used them as you used them for the fern stand. My current thinking is that components is a much better way to go. I can see that there may be time that I don't want to use component i.e. similar parts that may not all receive the same modifications. Are there any reasons that I might want to not use components by default?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.