LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dovetail Galore

So, I figured I'd try something new, and was working on something involving sketchup.

While playing around, I came up with this obscene piece which has various dovetails of different angles, spacings, sizes, and all (even has 1 box joint extrusion which is a dovetail at 0 degree angles), Dovetails Galore:

This is really more of a test piece/art than anything useful for woodworking, but the challenge is this - how fast can you model this in SU?

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Dovetail Galore

So, I figured I'd try something new, and was working on something involving sketchup.

While playing around, I came up with this obscene piece which has various dovetails of different angles, spacings, sizes, and all (even has 1 box joint extrusion which is a dovetail at 0 degree angles), Dovetails Galore:

This is really more of a test piece/art than anything useful for woodworking, but the challenge is this - how fast can you model this in SU?
Looks tough.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dovetail Galore

with a cnc plugin - I doubt it would take me very long ;)

here's another one, with angled faces that are not on the x,y,z axis:

I'm curious how long, and how much work it would take to make this with the dovetail plugin Dave? rough estimation will suffice.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dovetail Galore

both 'models' (if you can call them that…) where done in less than a minute.

no need to actually 'give it a shot'. guesstimation is more than enough. just trying to get an idea of whether I'm onto something worthy, or not. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Dovetail Galore

where do you get the dovetail plugin?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Dovetail Galore

Dave, I just found that post, I promise to keep updated from now on :) Thanks!

Sharon?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dovetail Galore

my models were made with a new dovetail plugin tool that I wrote which draws the dovetails on existing models based on given parameters that are kept between sessions.

I'll post more info shortly when I have things set up for it.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much of a challenge - more of a conceptual enlightenment

This has always been, and still is by far one of my favorites. so simple, yet so thought provocative:

So, as the title says - not really a challenge, but more of an inspirational piece to remind us how visual this art is, and that there's more than one way to do anything.

I'll let some folks enjoy the though, and will post how it's done later on today :)

Peace!

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

This has always been, and still is by far one of my favorites. so simple, yet so thought provocative:

So, as the title says - not really a challenge, but more of an inspirational piece to remind us how visual this art is, and that there's more than one way to do anything.

I'll let some folks enjoy the though, and will post how it's done later on today :)

Peace!
Without knowing the answer… my thought is that the trick of this shape is in the way we assume what we cannot see. What our brain initially tells us are three pieces of square stock joined in an impossible manner into a flat triangle, is in fact a very three-dimensional object involving non-90 egree angles at the joints.

My story and I'm sticking to it. :)

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Peace!
heh, I may have to hold you to that Charlie.

I'll just say this - what you see, is exactly what's there.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

Peace!
This is one of my favourite visual puzzles. So simple, and yet so very magical once you get at it just right. I do think it loses something in person, though. (For obvious reasons once you know how it is done, it's just too easy.)

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Peace!
I dunno Lis. I can see your point, but I have so many of his works, and I 'figured' them out, but it's so 'magical' (or psychedelic) to just get lost in those images and NOT try to figure it out, but just go with the flow. I am never tired of those.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

Peace!
Are we talking about how such a figure is drawn, or about how the figure depicted could be actually constructed?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Peace!
Charlie - both.

I used to draw this design all the time when I doodle. but in this case - it's actually constructed in SketchUp. so either way.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

Peace!
Ha. I have been drawing this stuff in SU all week, albeit for a different reason. With my cutting boards.
I just do it by pressing the Top view, and turning off the axes. Then draw in just 2D.
But I don't think you did that here, as the grain follows the sticks.

But Purp, have you seen this little 3D gem? Front and Side views, followed by two off angle.

Steve

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

Peace!
Curiosity having gotten the better of me, I looked up the answer.

I pretty much stand by my original explanation. It is a case of our mind filling in the blanks incorrectly. and angles we assume to be 90 degrees not being 90 degrees.

My only mistake was in assuming that one could play with the angles enough to actually make the ends connect.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Peace!
Steve: here's another cool one. it's the CSUN (California State University) Sign in front of their campus. the letters CSUN can be read from both 90 degree angles - so whichever street you're passing the campus from you'll see 'CSUN':

Charlie - I told you I'll hold you to that ;)

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Peace!
A craftsman IS what their tools AIN'T!!!

nicely done shopguryl ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts

Peace!
I love a challenge…

Shoulda zoomed in a bit more?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Peace!
u got it too Ryan!

As promised, here is the "solution" which is nothing more than a view of the same geometry from a different angle:

For more similar concepts, google M.C. Escher, or just Escher. he is my favorite artist. not only does he present with a unique and beautiful art pieces, those pieces make you think, and wonder, and I'm never tired of them.

Peace.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.